Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right mileage, Experts Opinion wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 11:16 AM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I sold a 47K-mile Turbo and bought a 108K-mileTurbo. So now the odometer is just mildly interesting and not oppressive.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:22 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by techweenie
I sold a 47K-mile Turbo and bought a 108K-mileTurbo. So now the odometer is just mildly interesting and not oppressive.
Haven't you needed some major maintenance on that 108k mile Turbo?
Old 12-19-2018, 01:35 PM
Taifighter
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
15k miles/year? Someone could daily drive their car and put far fewer miles on it than that.
I could DD a vehicle for 3 years and still be under that!
Old 12-20-2018, 11:01 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by djlarz
Just looking for the experts here opinion on what is the “right” mileage for a 996 Turbo that I plan on actually driving daily.

A car may have low miles but is that always the best choice when wanting to actually use the car vs a car that was more of a show car.

Is there a “sweet spot” in regards to mileage I should be focusing on?

Thanks!
I asked a similar question about buying a 993 back in 2005. Lots of good advice in the thread below regarding high mileage vs low mileage cars. Just substitute 996TT for 993 in this link. Bottom line, I went with the advice of the forum members and I'm happy with the results. For a daily driver, go with the higher mileage, well maintained option over the low mileage version with similar maintenance records. No need to pay the premium if you're going to pile on the miles.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ing-c4s-2.html
Old 12-20-2018, 02:40 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by autobonrun
No need to pay the premium if you're going to pile on the miles.
His daily driving of the car may not pile on the miles.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:27 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
His daily driving of the car may not pile on the miles.
That's true. But I would think that the risk of depreciated value from accidents, inclement weather like hail, theft, etc. has as much to do with the time outside the garage as mileage. It seems being a daily driver would expose it more, purely due to accessibility to these things. But I get your point.

Personally I chose to start with a higher mileage car rather than pay more for a lower mileage version knowing it wasn't going just come out on weekends.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:11 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That's true. But I would think that the risk of depreciated value from accidents, inclement weather like hail, theft, etc. has as much to do with the time outside the garage as mileage. It seems being a daily driver would expose it more, purely due to accessibility to these things. But I get your point.
And of course the car may be garaged at home and parked in covered parking at work with a one way daily drive of say 5-10 miles with low traffic exposure. I think these kinds of data are important to consider before offering a blanket "buy a higher mileage 996 Turbo". Another advantage of buying a lower mileage Turbo is that if the owner changes his needs in a year or two, transitioning more to a fun weekend car for example, he still has a Turbo with (potentially) lower miles than the higher mileage Turbo purchase. Lower mileage Turbos may go for years and years without any major maintenance costs (mine has), which in at least a small measure could potentially offset some of the premium paid for the lower miles.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:37 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

the only way to preserve *value* against depreciation is to buy it and only "look" at it lol.

only 96t i would ever consider as a "buy and hold" would be one under 10k miles. it will never be a 993t or reflect that kind of value.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:18 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
the only way to preserve *value* against depreciation is to buy it and only "look" at it lol.
Replace the word preserve with "maximize" and I would agree with you. Mine has gone up in value and I've put 2k miles per year on it. There is a balance you can strike between maximizing profit and enjoying the car. I would be happy in 10 years to put 2k miles per year on it and be able to sell it for what I paid. There are not many manufacturers you can say that about.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:28 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Replace the word preserve with "maximize" and I would agree with you. Mine has gone up in value and I've put 2k miles per year on it. There is a balance you can strike between maximizing profit and enjoying the car. I would be happy in 10 years to put 2k miles per year on it and be able to sell it for what I paid. There are not many manufacturers you can say that about.
agree. i've had 7 911's and never bought one as a "hold and sell". yet, many miles of enjoyment.

i just don't live in a world in which cars are an "investment". perhaps in my next life.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:54 AM
Jacob_Seattle
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GWIT996F
If you are planning to drive it, then buying a low mileage example will cost a significant premium and give you odometer angst. Buying a higher mileage example will allow you the freedom to drive whenever and wherever you want without giving it a second thought. For example, my '99 C4 Aero had 133k miles on it when I bought it, so it was my constant companion, year round. The 996tt though, had only 47k miles when I bought it. It bothered me to go past 50k, and I'm about to pass 60k miles, which is another cringeworthy milestone. I hate the idea of not driving it, but still . . .
My advice - buy one with right at 100k miles from a private seller who has maintained it well. Then drive it whenever the mood strikes.
WELL SAID, if it is a DD, save money and buy over 100k.

Quick Reply: Right mileage, Experts Opinion wanted!