FVD K24 Race turbos in my 996tt

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 12:54 AM
porsche996tt_tpe
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FVD K24 Race turbos in my 996tt

Hi all

Car is 2002 996tt, completely stock, with tip.

Ive recently come across a pair of K24 turbos that were mod by FVD. Did a little research. I understand there'd be some lag, but increased HP on higher rpm. Everything else is stock, what should I pay attention to or be aware of?

If I'm later looking for additional power gain and/or better response in the lower rpm, what's next? ECU tuning or down pipe or.... ? What'd be the "progressive" step? I'm new to all this. Appreciate any advices!

thanks.

Last edited by porsche996tt_tpe; 12-18-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:39 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

Sounds like you are getting a little ahead of yourself
. Turbos are typically and logically not the first step in upgrading. Do some more searching. Look into a tune and exhaust first and then see where the slippery slope takes you.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:43 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Tune when the turbos are installed! If you get a tune prior, u will have to do it again to accomodate the turbo upgrade! If you decide not to upgrade the turbos then by all means tune!
Old 12-18-2018, 07:16 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

No way I'd throw bigger turbos on a stock exhaust. You'd be miles ahead in performance and money saved with just a tune.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:10 AM
Nzo
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Be ready for a clutch upgrade if you're doing turbos.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:19 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Contact Sam@bydesign for the Cobb custom tuning through the accessport directly through the obdII port. I have the same fvd 26/24 racing turbos, with the Cobb you have multiple programs choices. Great set up.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:15 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I have some very pertinent info on this for you

My car is an 03 with FVD tune and race turbos. At the moment I am running straight pipes BUT have an AWE exhaust I use.

Now mine would not pass Colorado emissions and I had to flash back to stock and put on the stock exhaust to pass. Then I reversed everything after it passed. When the car had the race turbos and stock tune and exhaust on it the car was a very different car. Laggy and the turbos did not impress. Upon putting it back together is was back to its eye popping fast self again. So you really should do a tune, exhaust along with the turbos if you go that route.

There is my real world experience.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:10 AM
porsche996tt_tpe
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback!!

Long story short, I got cheated on Ebay into thinking that I'm buying a set of near brand new K16 OEM turbos, but instead the guy sent me very-used FVD K24's. I had no choice but to put them on my car, thinking this will just do and thinking that I may just make a bad situation work better.

The FVD's are on my car now, the lag is significant. The build-up is slow. There's particular high-pitch whine when the turbos kicked in. The power is there though. It can achieve 0.6 bar.

I'm not yet ready to go down the tuning road. If passing the emission test would be problematic as stated, I wouldn't bother then.

I'm thinking maybe putting my old K16's back. I believe there was oil leak into the intercooler, hence the search for a good pair for swap.

Thanks again!
Old 12-24-2018, 03:02 PM
jdexter
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No offense man, but you need a lot of help with your car. You should get in touch with a reliable tuner and talk to them about your car and goals. Sam I've heard good things about as someone mentioned above. Also Markski is well known, I have personal experience with, and would definitely recommend him. https://www.markskituning.com/ If you have the time and effort to read these forums for hours and pull your car apart, go for it... but I think you are kindof lost based on your posts above. Save yourself the heartache and headache and call a pro!

Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2018, 03:30 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

OP: Did you do the install yourself? You should not hear a high pitch whine at .6bars? You should be seeing more than .6 bars. These turbochargers should be putting out ,8bars with a stock tune. Do the turbochargers have bearing issues? Is there shaft play present.
A great combination for the street is taking the FVD Sport guts (bearing housing, compressor wheel and compressor housing) on your original K16's..
I have been rebuilding this combination since 1998... We called this the GT1 hybrid conversion.....
I offer programming that will get you to pass emissions provided that you have good cats and no intake leaks.

Quick Reply: FVD K24 Race turbos in my 996tt