Sponsored by:

DIY: Installing wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 07:27 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts
Default DIY: Installing wheel studs

So a friend took pity on me and helped me install the studs today. Which basically meant he took the wheels on and off for me as I can't lift that much because of my broken shoulder.

I had to change out the rear spacers first. The car came with a set of GT3 wheels, which have a narrow body rear offset, so spacers are needed. Previous owner had these weird H&R spacers that bolt to the hubs using the factory lug bolts, then have studs pressed into them. Which meant I couldn't reuse them without pressing the studs out. I ended up just replacing them as I figured I can resell these.

So, starting point, blank hub.

Since the studs are bullet nose and don't have an allen key, you have to double nut them to install them. Don't forget to use red loctite!

Finished product. I'm happy because the studs don't stick out past the wheels, so they're not noticeable.

I also got these really cool delrin lift pucks from another rennlister. They go into the factory jack points and you just turn them to hold them in place. Now you're not lifting directly on the body of the car. Slick!

The studs are from ACS and are high quality. I ended up buying them from ACS but through eBay as my sister had given me an eBay gift card. I had to buy the studs and nuts separately and noticed I was getting charged two separate shipping charges. When I paid, I included a note asking ACS to refund me some shipping as both studs/nuts would get sent to me in one box.

When the studs/nuts arrived, they did come in one box but ACS didn't adjust the shipping charges. When I went to their website and recreated the order, shipping was quite a bit less than what I got charged. I messaged them through eBay pointing that out and asking them again to refund the shipping charges. Response I first received was that I got charged the proper amount. When I pointed out it was much less if I ordered directly through their website they then blamed eBay, but still didn't offer to refund me the difference in shipping charges.

So, good product, not good customer service. I've responded to them one last time pointing out their lack of customer service and the fact that they just ripped me off on shipping charges. If they don't refund me I suppose I'll leave them negative feedback as that's all I can do. Honestly I'd order elsewhere, there are plenty of places to get studs/nuts of the same quality who will treat us all fairly.

Next up, installing the spark plugs, coil packs and tow hitch. Then I'll take it to my dealer for a GT2/track spec alignment and have them chase down a boost leak for me.

Quick Reply: DIY: Installing wheel studs