Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

+80lb weight loss for the track hounds...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 01:14 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by djm68
Thanks for the offer powdrhound, I may just take you up on the offer. I need to do sone research first and learn more about the doors: I want to understand what my real weight loss will be with these and I want to know more about the safety bars.

I have a 2012 Cayman R, it already has the aluminum GT3 doors, so I my weight saving is going to be less; according to Porsche the GT3 doors save 33 lbs. over the steel 997/987 doors. Currently, I only have a harness bar, but a half cage is planned for this year, but I do not have plans for side intrusion bars. I do wonder how safe these doors would be in a side impact compared to the OEM doors?

Cheers,
DJM
tuv approved and crash brace in the kevlar insides would suggest they would be stronger than the steel doors. add in that you can run the oem airbag in the door its a safe bet
Old 01-05-2019, 03:50 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by djm68
Thanks for the offer powdrhound, I may just take you up on the offer. I need to do sone research first and learn more about the doors: I want to understand what my real weight loss will be with these and I want to know more about the safety bars.

I have a 2012 Cayman R, it already has the aluminum GT3 doors, so I my weight saving is going to be less; according to Porsche the GT3 doors save 33 lbs. over the steel 997/987 doors. Currently, I only have a harness bar, but a half cage is planned for this year, but I do not have plans for side intrusion bars. I do wonder how safe these doors would be in a side impact compared to the OEM doors?

Cheers,
DJM
I think a steel door with a steel crash bar will be slightly superior to a carbon / Kevlar door simply due to the fact that steel can deform and stretch thus absorbing impact force. Just my take on it but I could be wrong as aluminum is now used in doors and that will obviously be weaker than steel. As Steve said above, the doors are built to accept the OEM door cards with the associated airbag which offers a good amount of protection. With that said, Manthey and RUF both use these doors in their high end street car builds and they are TUV approved and street legal for use in Germany but ultimately it's up to each individual and where their comfort zone is. I will say that these carbon doors are seriously beefy and stiff as a rock. They actually feel stiffer than the OEM steel doors. Here is a link that was posted in the 996GT3 forum showing one of the Manthey 4.2 996GT3s with these doors. It's at the 1:55 min mark.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:58 PM
ghostofpain
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Besides the 4.0 liter i put the aluminim subframe cross member in.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:52 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I need to just follow powdrhound around. When he buys a new mod, it's something on my 'dream' list or this time my 'I didn't even know those existed' list.
how do you think my car got to where it is LOL
Old 01-07-2019, 04:48 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
how do you think my car got to where it is LOL
LOL, you're just smarter than I am. I am figuring things out, but several steps behind you.

Quick Reply: +80lb weight loss for the track hounds...