Sponsored by:

No start question (battery?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 08:34 PM
HTX996t
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No start question (battery?)

I was having a slow start issue on my car for a few weeks, but it never actually failed to fire. Twice I saw a strange symbol pop up in the instrument cluster very briefly but it went away and the car started before I could take a picture. All was good until today. I went out to start the car and nothing...except all the electronics went haywire-windows going up and down and a temperature sensor warning, the car wouldn’t crank at all. I finally got a good look at the image today and it says that there are multiple system failures. The image is below. Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Any ideas?
Old 01-07-2019, 08:42 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Need to charge or replace your battery. If it happens again, need to find out what is draining your battery.

Low voltage causes all sort of weird issues and pop ups on these cars. There is a 5 sec delay from ignition on to failure indicators, in that 5 sec the DME and other control units look for correct signal from the associated sensors and modules, when the battery is low, the voltage signal is off and will trigger faults on all modules experiencing low voltage.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:59 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Replace battery, check all terminal connections, including ground strap on engine (near the rear passenger side wheel well). Once that is done put key in ignition, turn to "on" position but do not start. Allow 5 minutes for all systems to reset. Start car.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:03 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

agree, battery FIRST. then ignition switch is a possible for gremlins ( not sure what the "slow start" symptoms were..but that switch once bad causes all manner of seemingly unrelated oddness ).

are you driving the car enough to keep the battery charged? do you use a trickle charger when parked long term? if not. do one or the other, and hopefully a dying battery is ( likely ) the cause. GL.

Quick Reply: No start question (battery?)