Sponsored by:

996tt - Hairy ABS Pump Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 12:37 PM
TKEES
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 996tt - Hairy ABS Pump Failure

I was driving on Saturday 6AM on my way to the Market, car was acting perfect with the exception of a spongy brake pedal, no warning lights though, so I kept driving. Parked the car, did some early morning shopping, came back and got the Brake Fluid Low warning light come up. The trip home, about 2-3 miles, PSM failure, and having to pump the brakes to get any sort of firmness in the pedal. 5 intersections on the way home, coming into a slight downhill intersection cautiously as the brakes are "iffy", pedal completely gives out, goes to the floor, no pressure, no amount of pumping would fix it, this while on my way into an active intersection. Hard on the e-brake to get the car to stop, was able to make it 2-3 blocked home on the e-brake alone. Had the car Flat-bedded to the shop. Shop tells me the ABS Pump Control unit failed and pumped all of the fluid into the bay. They got it all cleaned up so as not to effect the paint, etc.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what to get done here. Have to replace the unit, is it worth upgrading the brake master cylinder to the 997 GT3 unit? I've been told it can mess with the PSM though, on top of having to upgrade the rear line from 10 - 12. Any suggestions on going new or used on the ABS piece? Would love some input.

First Pic is of the leaking valve on the side of the ABS unit. Second is of the unit itself.

Thanks

Last edited by TKEES; 08-14-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:18 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

I would recommend going with the 997 GT3 unit, but at the same time I would recommend fix the issue you have at hand before going into upgrades. You have to unplug PSM to keep the ABS functional if you run the 997 GT3, no one has been able to solve that yet.

The 996 cup ABS unit is a good upgrade if you have to replace the ABS unit, but it's very expensive and not straight forward or easy to install.

Since it appears you are a track guy from looking at your car, if you want to do upgrades at the same time as fixing your ABS unit, I'd also recommend the GT3 brake booster since the ABS pump etc has to come out for the install on that.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:30 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

talk to pwderhound. nobody knows the brake system better than he does. he will lead down the correct path
Old 08-14-2018, 03:47 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

The Cup ABS unit is also a unicorn to find these days since it's NLA and the additional parts come from Germany via special order. I'll have a street ABS available later this year since I'm making the switch but that probably won't help you now.

Quick Reply: 996tt - Hairy ABS Pump Failure