Sponsored by:

Thoughts on a Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 01:39 PM
nelsontod
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
I want a Merc E63 AMG wagon for my next DD. Plan on buying one 3-5 years old, CPO'd. That way I'll avoid the incredible initial depreciation these things have but still have a warranty...

i dont know about depre...these things are still getting 70K 5 years old.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:38 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 324 Posts

The 2014-2015's are holding around the low $60's mark. 2013's are rwd and are quite a bit less expensive. So I'm hoping in 3 years a 2016 will be around $50k ish CPO'd. Considering these are $120-140k new, that's a pretty big depreciation hit.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:41 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Could also go full Baller and get a Gelandewagen like the AMG G 65. That would show those poseur Range Rover guys who truly rocks the big-dog properties!

But personally, I think the new G's have gotten a bit too hollywood, but I really regret not buying this G-wagon wolf when it was for sale locally a few years back! Much more my style... Daily driver? Maybe not so much.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:26 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtpeper
Hi All,

Since we all seem to be of similar minds when it comes to our taste in Porsches, I figured maybe you all could help me with deciding on a new daily driver.

I'm a Realtor and a developer so having some space is always nice. My current daily is a 2016 X5 35 Diesel that I special ordered with DCCD and the M torque vectoring diff. Couple that with over 400lbs of tq and the car really isn't too bad around town - plus I've gotten as high as 50mpg on the highway - all in a ~6k lbs SUV. My wife drives a 2017 Volvo XC90 Inscription which has become the kid carrying car - our daughter rarely rides on my BMW.

Cars I've considered so far:
1. AMG E63s wagon - Seems like a blast, but can't find one to test.
2. Alfa Stelvio Quad - absolutely fantastic to drive! Interior quality was only so-so and I do like having ventilated seats which are not an option currently. The engine and suspension for an SUV are absolutely amazing though.
3. Range Rover Velar - I haven't driven it yet. The tech seems great, the engine options less so. I also feel like every big real estate agent drives a Range Rover....
4. Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo - I haven't driven one yet, it seems great on paper, but I'm not particularly excited to spend the price of the Turbo. Not sure if any of the lesser engines are that good or fun..

Anyone else have any interesting recommendations? Thoughts? Ideal would be to keep it under 100k..
wagons rule.
forget those boaty SUV things.........................
(yes, i know electrical magic nannies make them awesome, but they are still too tall / ugly IMO)

Old 08-01-2018, 04:45 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

I currently daily drive a Macan GTS. Love it. Drives and feels more like a hatchback than small SUV; the turbo and S Macans felt more SUV like though.

Ive had a Cayenne Turbo and Panamera Turbo S in the past. Cayenne is the most useful/practical, Panamera is nicest/most comfortable, Macan GTS is most fun. Panamera fastest out of the 3. Cayenne worst gas mileage. Cant go wrong with any of those though
Old 08-01-2018, 06:38 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,927 Posts

My winter daily is split between a E350 wagon, a Suburban and the last 6.0l Excursion sold in Canada, if none of those work, or I am going through the mountains, I will move into an F450.

Summer daily consists of the 996, M5CP, WRX STI, and occasionally, when I am feeling really daring, an Integra Type R or BlackBird. I have even gotten into my friends 991.2 Turbo S a couple of times and offered to trade him the 996tt back, straight, because he misses the manual... and I realize how valuable the manual really is.

As I owned an Alfa GTV6 waaaay back, and can categorically state it was the worst POS car I have ever owned. It would appear not much has changed.

Baby Brother had a Land Rover LR3 and loved everything about it, with the exception of how much it broke and what it cost to run. He also had a BMW diesel, which he loved until he had to maintain it.

Admittedly, I have been looking at the new M760il - I absolutely loved the way it drove (read: comfy, but quick...), and even though it is 'sizable', it is far and away the best value for a v12 on the market today.

My Ma is in the market for a new car - I have taken her Audi's, BMW's and Merc's, along with a VW Golf R, for giggles. Interestingly, she liked the Golf the most because of its smaller dimensions. I, as a good son, have yet to mention that it is powered by a 300hp motor, as I quietly giggle to myself when I consider seeing my 77 year old Ma running around in a hot hatch...

There is not enough life to experience all the motors I want, but, by the grace of God, I will try my damnedest to run as many of them as possible.

For me, buying a new car is a completely subjective exercise; I don't buy because I want to flip them or dump them after a few years, I buy them because I want to enjoy them for years and years. And because I suffer from an addiction to internal combustion. If one is to spend this type of green on a new ride for purely optical (professional) purposes, you may as well follow your heart, because if you are simply depreciating the car through your work, you may as well go all out and be happy with the ultimate decision. Otherwise, why not keep on driving what you already have?
Old 08-01-2018, 07:17 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the advise so far. An F150 is awesome, but won't work for me. I do so much business downtown I would never be able to park. Plus, if you recall I'm like 5'4 - it would REALLY look like I was covering for something!

Macon could be a good option for sure. Does anyone know when the new body style comes out though?

I like the idea of a Tesla, but they just get so pricey so quickly with all the options I'd like.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:32 PM
nelsontod
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

im picking up a e350 wagon on friday.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:59 PM
cmd4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SQ5. understated suv but really sporty/fun to drive and can't beat Quattro
Old 08-02-2018, 06:14 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Honda Pilot.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:22 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm a Realtor and a developer so having some space is always nice.
I think an SUV would offer a higher viewing position for clients that you may drive around to look at properties.

And you know more about your clientele than we do, so you may know how a hot rod vehicle would play versus something lower on the performance scale. Most of the real estate guys I know prefer a vehicle that is a a bit less stated than Mercedes AMG, BMW M, or Audi S models.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:49 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Definitely not a Honda Pilot... I still want the car to be fun and not mommy-mobile like my wife's XC90.

RS7 is definitely calling to me - but I also know it's basically at the end of its cycle. It's definitely hard to find a good all rounder daily driver!
Old 08-02-2018, 10:56 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Definitely not a Honda Pilot... I still want the car to be fun and not mommy-mobile like my wife's XC90.
X5's are "mommy-mobiles" around here...
Old 08-03-2018, 01:43 AM
sgtpeper
Racer

An X5 M Sport is more a mommy-mobile than a Pilot where you live? Strange town..
Old 08-03-2018, 01:48 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

An X5 M Sport is more a mommy-mobile than a Pilot where you live? Strange town..
Did I use the word "more"?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a Daily Driver?