Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best colour for non detection from Police

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 11:17 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

The 83 NA 944 must have good lines for radar non-detection or maybe I am just lucky.

W8MM, have you ever tested different cars for radar detection issues. If so, how did the 944 rank.

Back when I had mine and was too poor to afford a radar detector (probably due to maintenance issues, but that's another thread), I recall several times passing a cop and seeing him with a radar detector pointed right at me. I was dead in the water and speeding. Yet nothing happened on multiple occassions. I figured it was a result of both the shape of the front end and it had a dark charcal metallic paint.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:45 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seal Grey? Are you kidding?

Cops see that and they think "Hmm here's a guy with an expensive and fast sports car trying to blend in by choosing grey, which automatically tells me he's speeding and I need to pull him over".

vs. let's say Speed Yellow

Cops see speed yellow and think "Hmmm here's a guy who knows what he bought and isn't afraid to flaunt it with a devil may car attitude which automatically tells me he's too smart to be speeding so there's no need to pull him over..."

3 Years of Speed Yellow and ZERO tickets are proof enough that the above reverse psychology must be true...
Old 01-20-2004, 12:21 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

IMHO the best color to avoid police attention is any color but the one on my car. My 964 C4 was black on black a freaking cop magnet. I may have oto side with Ghost, my speed yellow Boxster S attracted attention but no tickets. Maybe there is something to the reverse psychology theory.

Mike you are correct about the performane of different colors with laser (LIDAR). On the other hand it doesn't make much difference because the cops are trained to aim for a front license plate or the headlights. Here's a trick though, high beams reduce the sensitivity of a LIDAR by about 20 dB which works out to roughly half the normal range. White light contains enough energy in the LIDAR spectrum to look like "noise" to the laser receiver. So a black car with really bright driving lights going full blast is the best defense - although it might attract attention for other reasons.

Bob
Old 01-20-2004, 01:05 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

No front license plates here and no headlights on a 944. Is it hard to get a reading on similar vehicles.

Quick Reply: What is the best colour for non detection from Police