Sponsored by:

Opinions on this 01

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 12:16 AM
RPB81
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
RPB - if you aren't interested in upgrading to the Rennkit eRam system, you might want to look into the new repair for the OEM system recently developed by Kevin:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...epair-kit.html
Thanks, I have a complex issue of trying to keep things like this original. A pentosin flush w/ stop leak every yr or so does the trick for the time being in addition to eliminating the code.

I made the mistake of letting my car sit w/ the spoiler up for many yrs. I’m sure it was only a matter of time regardless of the fact.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:26 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 178 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by RPB81

Thanks, I have a complex issue of trying to keep things like this original. A pentosin flush w/ stop leak every yr or so does the trick for the time being in addition to eliminating the code.

I made the mistake of letting my car sit w/ the spoiler up for many yrs. I’m sure it was only a matter of time regardless of the fact.
Replace all copper crush rings at banjo fittings and all rubber o-rings in hydraulic pistons (motor end, both rams) - then do the fill and bleed procedure. That may do the trick, at least for a while. Life expectancy for this simple repair will depend upon your climate, the condition of the ram wiper seals (cannot be replaced), if your engine is run hot a lot, and like you said, leaving the wing up.
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
Old 07-05-2018, 11:02 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,025 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Originally Posted by RennKit-Dave
Replace all copper crush rings at banjo fittings and all rubber o-rings in hydraulic pistons (motor end, both rams) - then do the fill and bleed procedure. That may do the trick, at least for a while. Life expectancy for this simple repair will depend upon your climate, the condition of the ram wiper seals (cannot be replaced), if your engine is run hot a lot, and like you said, leaving the wing up.
And for that very reason, I bought your erams.

Now installed,

Thank you Dave.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:25 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 83 Posts

Update from O.P.? Did you get it?
Old 07-05-2018, 11:27 PM
THP23
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by KC-CarGuy
Update from O.P.? Did you get it?
I didn't, seller is willing to go no lower than $46k...which is tough considering you're going to possibly be into the car for $56k with only fixing the trans and dash. I'm sure there's other maintenance needs so very quickly this car would have you in for $60k...and be totally stock. But man do I love the color combo! haha
Old 07-06-2018, 01:06 AM
flyn2001
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Question: I have an ‘01 with no gear problems...yet. Should I get/install the gbox detent? Is this thing a fix or preventative maintenance?
Old 07-06-2018, 01:19 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flyn2001
Question: I have an ‘01 with no gear problems...yet. Should I get/install the gbox detent? Is this thing a fix or preventative maintenance?
When I spoke with Stanley at gbox, he described the fix as insurance. If there is damage to the gearset, you're buggered. However, if there is no problem with the gearset and the new detent is installed, it will aid in preserving the box.

I have one installed, early days on longevity.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:43 AM
flyn2001
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
When I spoke with Stanley at gbox, he described the fix as insurance. If there is damage to the gearset, you're buggered. However, if there is no problem with the gearset and the new detent is installed, it will aid in preserving the box.

I have one installed, early days on longevity.
Did you install it....if so, how hard of a job?
Old 07-06-2018, 01:45 AM
RPB81
Advanced

Originally Posted by RennKit-Dave
Thanks Dave!
Old 07-06-2018, 01:58 AM
RPB81
Advanced

My car was originally serviced by a tech that personally owned an ‘01 TT manual w/ around 115k miles. I asked him about this issue after reading about it online and he knew nothing about it. He said it would most likely have something to do with abuse or mishifting gears over a given period.

In hindsight I felt silly for inquiring based off the expression on his face. I lost points w/ him that day.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:50 AM
FASTTRIP
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Rpb81 I had purchased car with radiators changed by previous owner. Work order says leaks at fittings. Not sure but I think I saw some write ups that said they were defective from factory. Last owner had them changed at 21k miles, the work order and old owner saying they leaked is whatI m going off of.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:45 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by RPB81
I asked him about this issue after reading about it online and he knew nothing about it. He said it would most likely have something to do with abuse or mishifting gears over a given period.
That's interesting.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:57 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Did you install it....if so, how hard of a job?
Once the car was in the air, took about ten minutes. Very easy.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:10 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by THP23
2001 Turbo
28k miles
The car doesn't have service records
Has the 2nd gear pop-out issue,
Delamination going on with the dash.
Originally Posted by THP23
seller is willing to go no lower than $46k.
Sounds like this one is a definite no-go...

Low miles is a plus, but several big negatives. Move on... These are great cars, but they did make plenty of them and there are some really nice cars out there without major issues.

Personally, for the same money I'd take a 60K mile turbo that is pristine, perfectly maintained, and zero issues any day over a 28K mile example without service records, with gear pop-out, and a delaminating dash.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:01 PM
RPB81
Advanced

Originally Posted by FASTTRIP
Rpb81 I had purchased car with radiators changed by previous owner. Work order says leaks at fittings. Not sure but I think I saw some write ups that said they were defective from factory. Last owner had them changed at 21k miles, the work order and old owner saying they leaked is whatI m going off of.
You lucked out w/ the leak being discovered prior to you acquiring the car. You cannot complain about a new set of radiators!

Quick Reply: Opinions on this 01