Sponsored by:

My $100k 996 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 01:50 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RPB81

Interested to hear what you invested $20k in over the past two yrs and why your car is due for a trans rebuild. I’m assuming you track it?
Front diff rebuild - 5k
Clutch + GT2 conversion - 5k
Turbos + intercoolers - 3k
Cobb Tune + injector cleaning - 1k
BBI roll bar + harnesses + GT3 euro seats - 10k

That's not counting tires, oil, changes, and other sub 1k items.

Car has seen two track days and ~6 auto-x events. Not complaining, I love the car but it can be pricey at times. What hotrod / project car isn't? I suspect the guys that leave well enough alone like Dock have a smaller list of expenses for their cars.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:52 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by nbressette
I suspect the guys that leave well enough alone like Dock have a smaller list of expenses for their cars.
Doing a quick review in my mind, I think I have spent about $10-12k in elective modifications on my 996 Turbo in my 16.5 years of ownership.

Outside of normal maintenance costs (fluids, tires, plugs, etc) I have had to replace my clutch accumulator twice, replace both front wheel bearings, replace a cracked windshield, and replace two rear view mirrors. My factory original DV's were replaced with Baileys under warranty. Other than that, nothing has broken on the car in almost 48k miles.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:46 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
I've got a couple of new items like fresh Schroth GT3 harnesses to go with a my new Arai full face helmet.
I rarely recount $pend on car stuff, just a bad policy in general

The inspiration to upgrade is certainly appreciated, I think the big brakes are still the most worthwhile if you track regularly.
Improvements can be minimal in relation to cost unless you're really pushing it. A great less extreme mid-ground is 997 GT3 brakes/OE 997 turbo fr rotors, some coilovers, and solid LCAs & dogbones.
Beyond that, cost goes up pretty quick and the amount of "little stuff" creeps in.

Now that I feel pretty good with where it's at, other car options have been distracting me from work!
Congrats on the new toys and I hear you on the cost. Now I don't feel so bad for recently buying a Cup ABS at 5k. I don't even want to know what my total is, but it's well above the 100K after buying it for 40K back in 2010. Don't tell my wife that!
Old 07-02-2018, 07:33 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Scawt
Congrats on the new toys and I hear you on the cost. Now I don't feel so bad for recently buying a Cup ABS at 5k. I don't even want to know what my total is, but it's well above the 100K after buying it for 40K back in 2010. Don't tell my wife that!
I need to grab one of those Cup ABS one of these days.

Stop giving me ideas, I need to stay away from forums.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:09 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Street use cars can be operated on a measly budget on par with other imports. These cars are Uber reliable for the most part with nothing more needed than basic maintenance. I’d go as far as calling it supercar performance on a basic import car budget.

For track cars, I would budget $600-800 per hour operating cost which includes consumables and engine / gearbox reserves. This is a pretty accurate number based on tracking my operating costs over the last 5 years of track use and is based on the assumption that outside of engine and gearbox rebuilds you can do all basic maintenance work yourself.

For track use the Cup ABS is one of the bar none best mods for any of the 996GT/TT street cars. Not cheap at $7-10K but worth every penny.

Last edited by powdrhound; 07-03-2018 at 03:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:06 AM
RPB81
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front diff rebuild - 5k

Car has seen two track days and ~6 auto-x events. Not complaining, I love the car but it can be pricey at times. What hotrod / project car isn't? I suspect the guys that leave well enough alone like Dock have a smaller list of expenses for their cars.
Thanks for providing details - just interested to hear where the money was invested. It sounds like your car is run like it should be. I reside in Northern VA, there is law enforcement all around my neck of the woods.

In addition to being one of the states which ban my Valentine.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:36 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Front diff rebuild - 5k

What caused the need for the front diff rebuild?
Old 07-03-2018, 04:22 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

About 7 days after I bought it and drove it back from Sacramento to OC I noticed a bearing noise while driving along embankments or canyons. Shop first through it was brake rotor noise / wheel bearing but it turned out to be the bearings inside the front diff. Front diff was rebuilt by CMS.

Had I known more about what I wanted to do with the car I would have spent what I did on the rebuild on going RWD. But as a 7 day old first time Porsche owner I went with the safe decision to rebuild the front diff. The good news is, when I go RWD I'll get top dollar for my front diff since its so recently rebuilt.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:27 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

That makes sense, many cars had/have leaky front diff flange seals which are difficult to spot even to the trained eye. The oil gets low and the bearings fail.

Quick Reply: My $100k 996 turbo