Sponsored by:

ISSAC vs. HANS

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 05:45 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by thedriver79
...The Hans has huge driver support amongst the pro ranks, but the ISAAC system seems so logical. I think possibly all that's missing is any appreciable real world experience with the ISAAC. An accurate statement or no?
I agree. We have a marketing problem, not a product problem. We're not going to whine, we expected it.

There have been many real world experiences with the ISAAC, but they have involved amateur racers so there was no media coverage. Also, amateurs don't tend to use crash data recorders, so we can't draw any scientific conclusions.

Several customers were kind enough to provide us with a report of their crashes, and we have posted them here: http://isaacdirect.com/html/OtherPag...sComments.html
Old 01-20-2004, 06:05 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ColorChange
driver79

I'm in. I haven't placed my order yet but I am prepared to. Who else is in? I'll start another thread on another board and see if we can put this together.

Gregg: Tell us of we are wasting our time (no discount policy).
No, you are not wasting your time. If a group buy reduces our costs, we would be happy to spread the savings around.

Quantity is one thing, of course, but the details can also make a difference. For example, shipping identical systems to one location in one shipment with one form of payment is much more efficient for us than is shipping different versions to different locations at different times with different forms of payment. There are pros and cons to each, and we can do it either way--or mix and match.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:20 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

ColorChange,

You're gonna love this.

I had a chance to chat late today with a driver who provided us a very detailed report of a recent crash while he was using the ISAAC system. Although it was a minor impact, his observations go directly to the comments you made above regarding how the design would function, theoretically, in a crash event, especially the deceleration issue.

Crash dummies can't talk about how the system "feels" during impact, but theory suggests, as you noted, that the system should feel rather "soft", for lack of a better term.

It was our best guess that the system should be relatively transparent--the force of the impact pulls the head one way, while the damper reaction pulls the head the other way. The force holding the head should be felt within the helmet, but the net force on the upper neck should be very low.

Ideally, it would be best to get feedback from a very experienced professional driver--equipped with a data recording system--who had a mild impact that allowed him to notice how the ISAAC system functioned. We got that yesterday.

Mick Robinson has been racing since 1977. His e-mail is included below, less a section dealing with sending the system back for evaluation etc. (Mick has no interest in the ISAAC system.)

I have had some time to go over the data from my Sebring accident.

I was hit on the left front by the other car with a force of 1.56 G's from the side.

My car immediately headed right. The carousel at Sebring has the outside [tire] wall following the curve of the track. When I got hit, the car darted right so that I hit the wall at about a 60 degree angle. The speed on impact was 62 mph. The data shows 3.2 G's on the wall impact.

I immediately felt the ISAAC work on the frontal impact, but I did not notice anything on the left front hit.

The comfort of the impact still baffles me. I have hit several walls with an almost straight on impact and have had sore muscles immediately after and the days that followed. I have on one occasion felt an electrical shock go down the spinal cord on a similar accident at Daytona when I hit a car at a 90 degree angle at 98 mph. I have had the internal part of my throat swell for 2 days after one impact also.

After this incident, there was no muscle soreness at all. I did not have any soreness the following days either.

I feel so confident in the system, that I recommend that you sit in a sled and go through a 3.2 impact to see how well the device works. Seriously, there was nothing too it.

I don't think the shocks traveled to their maximum distance as the deceleration was gradual and very comfortable. My forehead did not feel as though it supported all of the force from the slowing down of my head. It was strange, but the whole force of the impact was absorbed by my whole head. I felt as though the cheeks, forehead, temples and lower rear of my skull equally felt the force of the deceleration. I'm not a test dummy with probes all over me, but that is the way it felt. Kinda like my head was wrapped in bubble paper. When the fluid traveled in the shocks, it felt like my head was in a cushion of air. I just didn't feel any violent movement from the wreck….

Thanks for working on a restraint device for racers. You have saved me a lot of pain from the wreck that I went through at Sebring.
This was a mild hit, but enough to invoke a damper reaction. A rough estimate suggests that he would have experienced a head load of nearly 100# if he were unprotected. That won't kill you of course, but it's a nasty little yank. The interesting part, ColorChange, is that Mick described everything as comfortable and non-violent, consistent with your earlier comments, and what one would expect given how dampers function.

BTW, you will not find me in a crash sled any time soon.

[Edit: Clarify the head load as being unprotected.]

Last edited by gbaker; 01-21-2004 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:08 AM
thedriver79
AutoX

Done.

Anyone know about the status on a group buy?
Old 01-21-2004, 08:34 AM
Red Rocket
Instructor

Have been following this with interest I would like to be in on a group buy.
Don
Old 01-21-2004, 09:04 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

OK Guys, I'll head up the group buy (pun intended)

I will post on another board and try to combine buying power. I will not take a profit for anything.

Feel free to contact me if you are interested.

Tim Homola
630-289-0900x101
Old 01-21-2004, 10:37 PM
thedriver79
AutoX

Thanks for the effort Tim. Gives us a shout when you have news.

M.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:23 AM
ypshan
Instructor

I am interested as well.

Quick Reply: ISSAC vs. HANS