Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy One

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 12:52 AM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 88 Posts

Now THAT is interesting. How did you discover the intermittent behavior? All I did was test mine while idling in the garage.........
Old 06-19-2018, 12:33 PM
mdkelly1
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 55 Posts

I wish I could say that it was easy, but it wasn't. The fan failure was found by a Porsche Tech. Everything seemed to function as designed. The A/C was fully charged, no leaks, compressor engaged and operated normally, radiators and A/C condenser were clean, fans appeared to operate normally, and the A/C control unit worked as designed.

The intermittent nature of the problem made it almost impossible to duplicate on demand. First thought was that perhaps the expansion valve was sticking, but that wasn't it. Finally, it was matter of letting it run (for a very long time) and observing the fans. Eventually, the right fan would slow down and cut-out intermittently. After seventeen years of virtually full-time use it was done. In Florida, it's normal that when the car is running you have the A/C running too, so it's basically always on. Once the fan was replaced, the system worked great, just as it did before.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:01 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 88 Posts

Interesting, thank you. I do remember my trips to FLA, any car I borrowed had the air already on, seemed like no one ever turned it off for shutdown. Out here in the dry zone, I don't use air that often, plus I generally only drive the Porsche when the top will be down.......
Old 06-19-2018, 01:19 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by T Kono
Interesting, thank you. I do remember my trips to FLA, any car I borrowed had the air already on, seemed like no one ever turned it off for shutdown. Out here in the dry zone, I don't use air that often, plus I generally only drive the Porsche when the top will be down.......
The A/C actually helps the engine run cooler.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:50 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
The A/C actually helps the engine run cooler.
Sometmes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Quick Reply: Easy One