Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 TT dying at idle (sometimes)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 05:10 PM
flyn2001
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2001 TT dying at idle (sometimes)

I accidentally posted in the non-aspirated 996 section earlier...but..

...my car is doing this thing where it starts and runs like a dream. Then I park and when I come back to my car and start it again, maybe 30 min later, it idles at ~1k rpm, then drops and sputters, catches itself (sometimes) or on 3 occassions it just stalled. Sometimes if it is doing the idle bounce, if i try to pump the gas it sorta sputters a bit. I’ve been reading threads in here and have taken it to AutoZone for a scan (no codes) and no lights. I just bought a Bosch MAF (will hopefully be here in a couple days. Maybe I need to get smart on the idle control valve and/or plugs/coil change too? I’ve seen some people recommend a vacuum test to those that have seen similar issues too? Thoughts/ideas? Thx!

It drives great and has never stalled at a stop.....knock on wood.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:14 PM
cwilt

Received 203 Likes on 120 Posts

Mine did this same thing. After I replaced the fuel pump, the problem went away.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:51 PM
flyn2001
Instructor

Ok thanks. I’ll search the forum for a “how-to”....but big picture...how hard to do?
Old 05-18-2018, 07:38 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very messy. Be sure to run all the gas out. The fuel pump is fastened to a bracket in the bottom of the tank and twists in/out. Mine took the strength of a gorilla to twist it loose from it's mount. If I were you, I'd get this diagnosed by a mechanic who can not only check your fuel pressures, but also check for other things like vacuum leaks, etc. I think Pelicanparts has a how-to.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:51 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,444 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...p-install.html
Old 05-18-2018, 08:16 PM
flyn2001
Instructor

I just watched a vid of a guy swapping it out...didn’t look horrible, but he did have his tank pretty low it looked like. Yeah, maybe a Euro-Mechanic here will be able to give me the quick status. This doesn’t sound like a MAF issue right? I just pulled mine out and it is one of the cheaper versions, so I ordered the Bosch one. I was thinking it would throw a code, since it has stalled from this, but reader said zero faults earlier today. Thx for the info!
Old 05-18-2018, 08:49 PM
cwilt

I thought is was an easy job. Get below a 1/4 tank and take your time. Pay attention to the float position. If it is a little off your gas gauge won't work properly. It can be easily adjusted by turning it a small amount but you can mark the top of it before removing to put it back in the same place.

I'm not saying this will fix your problem but I had the same exact symptoms.

Good luck.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:27 AM
flyn2001
Instructor

Originally Posted by cwilt
I thought is was an easy job. Get below a 1/4 tank and take your time. Pay attention to the float position. If it is a little off your gas gauge won't work properly. It can be easily adjusted by turning it a small amount but you can mark the top of it before removing to put it back in the same place.

I'm not saying this will fix your problem but I had the same exact symptoms.

Good luck.

hey man, saw some of your discussion on another post regarding your FP swap. Saw you used some Gates fuel line from Amazon as part of your fix, but for what part? Did you do something with the two p/u lines that connect to the back of the pump housing and run down to either side of the tank? Thx!
Old 05-19-2018, 12:45 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

just remember that theres only room for 1 arm in the opening. so removing the jet pump connectors twisting the basket everything you do has to be done by feel alone and with just a few fingers. not as easy as it looks.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:32 PM
flyn2001
Instructor

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
just remember that theres only room for 1 arm in the opening. so removing the jet pump connectors twisting the basket everything you do has to be done by feel alone and with just a few fingers. not as easy as it looks.

Thanks, I was kind of wondering about that. Thinking about this project is like thinking about a college essay. I’m sure I can do it, but I really just don’t want to...😕

...but then I think about the people at Starbucks checking out my car and then watching it die after I start it. 😖
Old 05-19-2018, 01:49 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

A couple of thoughts...before you start replacing parts without knowing they need replacing. You need to scan the car for codes with a Porsche code reader (i.e., PST2, PIWIS, Durametric), not an auto zone generic. Has the car been modified at all? Has the ECU been flashed? When was the last time you replaced the plugs/coil pack? Throttle body clean? e-gas reset?
Old 05-19-2018, 02:29 PM
flyn2001
Instructor

Originally Posted by wross996tt
A couple of thoughts...before you start replacing parts without knowing they need replacing. You need to scan the car for codes with a Porsche code reader (i.e., PST2, PIWIS, Durametric), not an auto zone generic. Has the car been modified at all? Has the ECU been flashed? When was the last time you replaced the plugs/coil pack? Throttle body clean? e-gas reset?

Car has been modified. From what I can tell, FabSpeed exhaust/headers, EVOM intake, Bilstein coilovers, possibly upgraded blowoff valves. I seem to remember the Porsche dealership telling me it was flashed. I don’t know if or when the oil, plugs, coil pack were changed last unfortunately. I haven’t gotten to the T/B cleaning or egas reset yet (not sure what that is) as this problem only just happened on this past Thur and Fri.

Bought at 34.2k miles, sitting on 35.2k now.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:15 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by flyn2001
Thinking about this project is like thinking about a college essay. I’m sure I can do it, but I really just don’t want to...😕
I suggest you take your car to a mechanic.

I don't work on my 996 Turbo unless it is 1) no-brainer easy, and 2) I'm in the mood.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:59 AM
alexbass311
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my car die while idling and could then never restart. Naturally this happened in Upstate NY about 4 hours north of the nearest shop in Albany. Ended up being my fuel pump, not saying for sure that's the only cause, but I'd definitely look at it.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:46 AM
cwilt

Originally Posted by flyn2001

hey man, saw some of your discussion on another post regarding your FP swap. Saw you used some Gates fuel line from Amazon as part of your fix, but for what part? Did you do something with the two p/u lines that connect to the back of the pump housing and run down to either side of the tank? Thx!
I read about changing this out in some old posts. I don't know if it is necessary as I think Porsche changed it but the hose used to pinch off and restrict fuel flow.

I didn't do anything with the pickup lines.

I hope this helps...

Quick Reply: 2001 TT dying at idle (sometimes)