Numeric shifter install

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 01:01 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
No it doesn't and that's the problem. The pivot points wear.
IMO, and in my experience, it does have metal in the right places.

I've had the B&M short shifter installed in my 996 Turbo since 2004, and there has been no wear. It is as tight as the day I installed it.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Numeric, I'm only saying that the B&M is not, as 32krazy! opined, a pos shifter.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:45 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
IMO, and in my experience, it does have metal in the right places.

I've had the B&M short shifter installed in my 996 Turbo since 2004, and there has been no wear. It is as tight as the day I installed it.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Numeric, I'm only saying that the B&M is not, as 32krazy! opined, a pos shifter.
What other shifters have you tried? If you have not tried others your opinion is naive and irrelevant.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:31 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Really?? I can think of at least five short shift options that were available back in those days...B&M, TechArt, RUF, FVD, Porsche.
if you look closely at those options they are all basically the same . installing any shifter into aplastic housing allows for flex. theres no getting around that
Old 03-13-2018, 03:07 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
if you look closely at those options they are all basically the same . installing any shifter into aplastic housing allows for flex. theres no getting around that
If someone is applying enough pressure on the stick to move the plastic housing, I'd say that they don't understand how to shift.

I've driven the B&M short shifter for over 13 years, and have experienced zero flex in the shifter tower/housing.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:33 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,125 Posts

The shifter recommendations are pretty much pointless as results and preferences vary widely. Years ago I had a B&M and didn’t like it at all as it was very notchy. Swapped to a OEM 997SSK for a few years and loved it. Even after 3 years of hard use when I sold it, it was performing flawlessly. Tried a Numeric and hated it as I thought it was the worst of the lot with numerous documented shaft and bearing failures over the years. My friend loved the same Numeric however but he was not a track guy. One man’s garbage is another man’s treasure. Go with what gives you the warm and fuzzy and what feels te best to you. Keep in mind that feel will also change depending on parts installed internally in the transmission, i.e. the gearbox mounted transmission lever. A particular shifter will feel totally different on a TT gearbox vs a GT2 or GT3 gearbox.

Finally, the references to the ”plastic” housing being soft are a bit silly. The OEM housing is a very stiff composite material and not some plastic noodle. You could literally rip the steel studs out of the console with the housing before it would fail. I detect zero flex in the OEM housing. Having metal in the right areas is key, not the housing itself. If you are man handling the shifter hard enough to feel flex in the housing, then you have other issues.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:37 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I was starting to think I was crazy for not being sold on the numeric yet. I haven't tried the 997SSK yet, i had the standard shifter, then the standard 997 shifter.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:52 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
The shifter recommendations are pretty much pointless as results and preferences vary widely. Years ago I had a B&M and didn’t like it at all as it was very notchy. Swapped to a OEM 997SSK for a few years and loved it. Even after 3 years of hard use when I sold it, it was performing flawlessly. Tried a Numeric and hated it as I thought it was the worst of the lot with numerous documented shaft and bearing failures over the years. My friend loved the same Numeric however but he was not a track guy. One man’s garbage is another man’s treasure. Go with what gives you the warm and fuzzy and what feels te best to you. Keep in mind that feel will also change depending on parts installed internally in the transmission, i.e. the gearbox mounted transmission lever. A particular shifter will feel totally different on a TT gearbox vs a GT2 or GT3 gearbox.

Finally, the references to the ”plastic” housing being soft are a bit silly. The OEM housing is a very stiff composite material and not some plastic noodle. You could literally rip the steel studs out of the console with the housing before it would fail. I detect zero flex in the OEM housing. Having metal in the right areas is key, not the housing itself. If you are man handling the shifter hard enough to feel flex in the housing, then you have other issues.
I agree. I didnt go with the B&M because of my past experience with my GTI. Heard good things as far as the 997 ssk and was ready to go with that until there was the numeric group buy. Longevity with the bearings, no idea only time will tell. If it goes south then I will switch over to the 997ssk. Sounds like both are good options as stated by many. Shifters are all about feel like you said. Its about what you like.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:05 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soon2be993TT
I was starting to think I was crazy for not being sold on the numeric yet. I haven't tried the 997SSK yet, i had the standard shifter, then the standard 997 shifter.
The OEM 997.2GT3 shifter is very very nice. Slightly shorter throw than the standard 997 shifter and with more metal in key pivot areas. The 997SSK feels a bit plasticky in my opinion but works very well none the less. Again, all personal opinion...
Old 03-13-2018, 06:34 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 886 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound

The garbage is the white plastic insert which most shifters still use. Over time it wears as it's metal on plastic. It will deform and cause lots of play.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:35 PM
s65e90
Race Car

And yes, the RUF piece is one where it attaches to the trans and changes the engagement there. Good design. I also agree some of the gt3 stuff is real nice, even the plastic stuff, as some like a nice solid feel w/out the real solid feel of metal.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:40 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

And yes, the RUF piece is one where it attaches to the trans and changes the engagement there. Good design. I also agree some of the gt3 stuff is real nice, even the plastic stuff, as some like a nice solid feel w/out the real solid feel of metal.
One overlooked option is to replace the OEM 996TT counterweighted shift lever on the gearbox with the 30% shorter GT3/Cup shift lever. Totally changes the shift feel of the gearbox while shortening the shift throw by 30%. It's a $100 part but requires gearbox removal to change. Perfect time to do it is when you do a clutch.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:50 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The garbage is the white plastic insert which most shifters still use. Over time it wears as it's metal on plastic. It will deform and cause lots of play.
So I wonder when that actually happens? Maybe in another 10-20 years of solid service, after the 13 years of solid service mine has already provided so far?
Old 03-14-2018, 12:31 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Funny about the mention of wear, I retrofited my fixtures on my custom CNC machine to delrin plastic with Teflon because of wear issues over about 3 years and needed to be replaced. Some misconceptions about the plastic wearing faster than metal. It’s been 17 years on the plastic and the tolerance of the fixtures has not changed. The plastic bushing the oem shifter is made from similar plastic if that piece was bushed in bronze or any metals it would wear much faster with out constant maintenance.

Last edited by Oak; 03-14-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:14 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

I've had stock, Numeric and now a 997.2GT3 shifter with Cup cables and Cup shift lever.
Stock was a boat oar, I can't believe they ever spec'd that tird.
Swapped it for the Numeric I bought with the car.
Numeric felt good in middle setting but I had worn motor and trans mounts and transmission at the time.
I was also concerned about havingNumerict correctly adjusted whereas all Porsche shifters come with a lock to set the cables properly. So I sold it while trans was out getting rebuilt and installed current stuff that is great and feels as fresh as the day I installed it.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:55 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
I've had stock, Numeric and now a 997.2GT3 shifter with Cup cables and Cup shift lever.
Stock was a boat oar, I can't believe they ever spec'd that tird.
Swapped it for the Numeric I bought with the car.
Numeric felt good in middle setting but I had worn motor and trans mounts and transmission at the time.
I was also concerned about havingNumerict correctly adjusted whereas all Porsche shifters come with a lock to set the cables properly. So I sold it while trans was out getting rebuilt and installed current stuff that is great and feels as fresh as the day I installed it.

I've changed lots of cables and cable shifters and never worried about the alignment tool. IMO it's not needed if you know what you're doing. Also the engine/trans mounts made the BIGGEST diff in shift feel. Made the Numeric and cables 100% better feeling for sure.

Quick Reply: Numeric shifter install