Sponsored by:

First time Turbo owner...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 06:40 AM
marwan
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Turbo Ron
I have a 2001 turbo stock 415 hp. No turbo lag. The car is plenty fast. The only mod I have done is the us pss9 coil over suspension. Belstein has a life time guarantee on this suspension. The only other mod I might do is the factory porsche short shift kit, at this time. I did the B&M short shift kit on my 2000 carrera. That can also void your transmission warrantee.

wow, porsche has thier own shortshift kit? sweet, then im definately getting that. I just hate long throws
Old 12-23-2003, 06:41 AM
marwan
8th Gear

Originally posted by speedplay
I just got a great deal on a '03 TT. The car is plenty fast but I just got it and might need more later. I also just ordered the Bilstein PSS9 and should get them tomorrow. I think either with the TT or X50 that you will be plenty happy.

can the X50 option be added later?

Originally posted by pig4bill
I disagree. There is lag, but it's done by around 2500 rpm.

i know nothing about Turbos and lag, does it affect performance? is it noticeable?
Old 12-23-2003, 10:23 AM
Turbo Ron
Instructor

The X-50 cannot be ordered later.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:34 AM
Turbo Ron
Instructor

As far as the short shift kit, some people on the board say it is the same as the B&M. I spoke with Eric at BH Porsche. He said he doesn't like the B&M feel. He believes it is the same as the GT3 shifter. The parts department should find out for me today, and I should have an answer. I did like the B&M, but very ocasionally on the downshift you can get a little lost if your not paying attention. They can refuse your warrantee on the transmission. As for me I will go with the stock Porsche shifter and pay a little more. Has anyone on the board installed this yet on the twin turbo and can comment on the throw verses the B&W.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Turbo Ron
Instructor

After talking to the parts manager, all he knows is that is 25-30 shorter. Sounds simular to the B&M to me. The cost for the short shifter is $550 and the labor is around $300. Very expensive. Has anyone installed this shifter on the twin turbo or c4s.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:19 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Here is my opinion:
The warrenty thing all depends on your relationship with your dealer....My service adviser and manager know of all my mods (ECU, exhaust, etc.) and do not care. They have never given me a problem and actually like my car and if anything I get special treatment. In my eyes the X50 is a huge waste of money. Even if you aren't going to do aftermarket I still wouldn't do it as I have driven many stock, X50's, and modded turbos. There just isn't enough of a difference to me to warrent spending $18,000. Adding almost any exhaust will add more HP then the X50 package. Dealers DO NOT CARE ABOUT EXHAUST!!! My dealership suggested I put one on!! Exhaust just cannot cause any major problems that would warrent dealers voiding your warrenty!!! You can pick up an exhaust for anywhere from 2k-4k and they will add anywhere from 15-35HP. Thats a lot better then X50 which gets you 29HP for 18K!!!
This is just my opinion of course
Evan
PS-The Porsche SSK IS the B&M kit!!! I was in Champions parts department picking up some parts for my shop and saw about 10 B&M short shift kits
Old 12-23-2003, 11:24 PM
Turbo Ron
Instructor

I put a tubi on mine for 3 days. I do not think it added any hp. In fact I felt that it took away hp. The only reason I felt that was because of how loud it is, I felt it should take off like a rocket, if that makes any since. I have the stock exhaust right now which is quiet. When I step on the gas it just feels faster because it is quiet and the car just moves out without all the noise. Does that make any since to anyone?????????
Old 12-23-2003, 11:29 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Turbo Ron
I put a tubi on mine for 3 days. I do not think it added any hp. In fact I felt that it took away hp. The only reason I felt that was because of how loud it is, I felt it should take off like a rocket, if that makes any since. I have the stock exhaust right now which is quiet. When I step on the gas it just feels faster because it is quiet and the car just moves out without all the noise. Does that make any since to anyone?????????
I don't knwo about your reasoning, but I do know that Tubi is not a huge HP gainer and some actually say it does lose power...The FVD and Fabspeed both make 30+ HP for 3k or under... I don't know about any others...I do see where you are coming from tho.
Evan

Quick Reply: First time Turbo owner...