996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watch Vid & Tell me what you think Plz!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018 | 02:39 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Default Watch Vid & Tell me what you think Plz!

I went to look at this 2003 996 Turbo today. Local to me (Georgia) and only 17 miles away from the house. 1 owner who purchased it new. Polar Silver with grey interior. 55K miles. All services done by Goldcrest in Kennesaw GA. Most recent work are the BBS 19" Wheels / Tires, Bilstein coil overs, shock mounts.

The owner advertised it for a week on autotrader and then pulled his ad and decided not to sell it. Luckily I'd saved the number and called him anyway. I told him to call me if he ever decided to sell it again. He ended up texting me a few days later stating that he really hates to sell it but wants another RS America like he had years ago.

He's extremely firm on his price and basically says, "If you don't buy it, I'll just keep and drive it forever. I've had it too long and it's too nice to let go any cheaper. Especially with all that's been done in the way of maintenance and with the new suspension / Wheels / tires done last year ($10K).

Anyway, What would be max I should pay for this car???? It comes with: Car cover, Original Sport Techno Wheels w/ good tires, all original parts except the exhaust. All records from Goldcrest Motorsports (I've have to get them to print everything done to it since 2003. He doesn't keep hard copies).

I shot several little vids and took pics, so I just put them into one YT video. Thank you for the advice in advance. I was really impressed with how the car drove and looked. The front clear bra is original and needs replaced probably. It was hazy when he took it out from under the cover but the haze would whip off with you hand / I used my shirt.

Old 01-21-2018 | 09:13 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Looks like an extremely well cared for car. Owner is definitely knowledgeable and the fact that he kept everything is great. I wouldn't have any qualms about buying this car and from this guy. Car looks like it's in fantastic condition. The fact that all of the cosmoline (the stuff that makes the underside of the engine look dirty, it's not, it's a protective coat from the factory) is on there, is a good sign that the engine hadn't been unnecessarily tampered with. A lot of times, people clean it off to make the engine look clean and pretty, but in doing so, lose some of the protective nature it provides the engine's aluminum cases etc. Roock Racing was huge in the 90's and early 2000's and was competitive at LeMans for many years including a GT2 Class win in '96. They started a tuning company to accompany their racing team in the early 2000's and made some really nice tuner cars. So that exhaust is legit and actually probably pretty rare. It looks to be made of Ti which they were known for, probably not the entire exhaust, but the muffler sections.
Old 01-21-2018 | 10:35 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

What is his selling price?

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 01-21-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-21-2018 | 10:48 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

"996TT" on the rear deck lid?
Old 01-21-2018 | 11:07 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Looks like an extremely well cared for car. Owner is definitely knowledgeable and the fact that he kept everything is great. I wouldn't have any qualms about buying this car and from this guy. Car looks like it's in fantastic condition. The fact that all of the cosmoline (the stuff that makes the underside of the engine look dirty, it's not, it's a protective coat from the factory) is on there, is a good sign that the engine hadn't been unnecessarily tampered with. A lot of times, people clean it off to make the engine look clean and pretty, but in doing so, lose some of the protective nature it provides the engine's aluminum cases etc. Roock Racing was huge in the 90's and early 2000's and was competitive at LeMans for many years including a GT2 Class win in '96. They started a tuning company to accompany their racing team in the early 2000's and made some really nice tuner cars. So that exhaust is legit and actually probably pretty rare. It looks to be made of Ti which they were known for, probably not the entire exhaust, but the muffler sections.
Thank you for the reply. I agree that the car is very nice. And thank you for the information on that exhaust.

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
What is his selling price?

$60K

Originally Posted by Dock
"996TT" on the rear deck lid?
That is a custom emblem but he has the original. He just wanted something slightly different that said 996 so he had made.
Old 01-21-2018 | 11:10 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Also if you buy it what are your plans for it, daily driver, weekend driver, track, preservation?
Old 01-21-2018 | 11:16 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Looks like a beautiful car that has been tastefully modded and well cared for. I particularly like the wheels. The only negative i can come up with is the grey interior, some people like it, i personally do not. It is reportedly a negative on re-sale (i passed over a nice stock silver with grey) but might be offset by the polar Silver. With 55K on the clock i would say high $40s but depending on how flush bucks i was, i might go low $50s Good Luck
Old 01-21-2018 | 11:16 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Swole
That is a custom emblem but he has the original. He just wanted something slightly different that said 996 so he had made.

When I see that it makes me think..."Audi TT badge with the numbers 996 put in front".

Thank goodness it can be removed.
Old 01-21-2018 | 11:21 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
The only negative i can come up with is the grey interior, some people like it, i personally do not.
I'm also not a fan of the grey interior, especially with the Polar Silver.

The white residue around the exhaust might also be a negative.
Old 01-21-2018 | 11:21 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

You posted the price while i was typing. i can understand the $60K for someone who has loved and cared for a car like he has. Don't think it would sell for that in the used car market today. If i had the cash and was planning on keeping it (so re-sale does not really matter) i might go for it. Really nice clean well maintained cars are getting harder to find.
Old 01-21-2018 | 11:22 AM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

$60K is all the money. And then some. Seems to me like you'd be paying full retail for the wheels/tires at that price.
Old 01-21-2018 | 11:27 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Also if you buy it what are your plans for it, daily driver, weekend driver, track, preservation?
Weekend toy. Date night car.

it’s never been tuned and is mostly stock so I would like to preserve it as a very nice example.
Old 01-21-2018 | 11:31 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by techweenie
$60K is all the money. And then some. Seems to me like you'd be paying full retail for the wheels/tires at that price.
Nice ride.

I agree...$60K is a lot of dough for a silver/grey 55K mile car. Fancy wheels aside, it's a $50K car. His unwillingness to negotiate means he doesn't want to sell this car.

Did you read this post below, that's a well bought car @ $48K. I would think you're looking for a deal like this:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...he-s-here.html
Old 01-21-2018 | 11:35 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Swole

Weekend toy. Date night car.

it’s never been tuned and is mostly stock so I would like to preserve it as a very nice example.
IMHO this car in that color combo and mileage is not worth $60k. It is only a $50k-ish car. You could find an X50 for $60k which would suit your plan better and appreciate more.
Old 01-21-2018 | 11:36 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

When I see that it makes me think..."Audi TT badge with the numbers 996 put in front".

Thank goodness it can be removed.
I'm not a huge fan of it either, but it is a little different. I could take it leave it I guess.

I'm also not a fan of the grey interior, especially with the Polar Silver.

The white residue around the exhaust might also be a negative.
Yeah, if it was black interior, I'd really love the car.

Looks like a beautiful car that has been tastefully modded and well cared for. I particularly like the wheels. The only negative i can come up with is the grey interior, some people like it, i personally do not. It is reportedly a negative on re-sale (i passed over a nice stock silver with grey) but might be offset by the polar Silver. With 55K on the clock i would say high $40s but depending on how flush bucks i was, i might go low $50s Good Luck
You posted the price while i was typing. i can understand the $60K for someone who has loved and cared for a car like he has. Don't think it would sell for that in the used car market today. If i had the cash and was planning on keeping it (so re-sale does not really matter) i might go for it. Really nice clean well maintained cars are getting harder to find.
Yeah, I figured you'd not seen the price yet. I agree and that's what draws me to the car. Cars like this with 1 owner and fully maintained are very hard to come by. I'd hate to pass and then somehow they become more collectable / valuable. Of course I know that's not a reason to buy a Turbo.

Thank you

Originally Posted by techweenie
Good point. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Watch Vid & Tell me what you think Plz!