Sponsored by:

Reactor Battery???

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 11:21 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Reactor Battery???

Has anyone had experience with Reactor batteries?

Old 12-14-2003, 04:46 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

I had never heard of it either. However, the technical director of one of the Porsche ALMS teams suggested it was an excellent battery.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:46 AM
Bentley
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an 'old' aircraft style battery which had been designed to be capable of physical rotation [as with an aircraft performing loops in the air] without losing its electolyte. In fact this type of battery has been around since the late 1960's for military aircraft use.
The battery is typically smaller dimensionally than a normal battery and is of a closed configuration to prevent fluid leaks. Re-charging MUST BE carefully watched since it can lead to burn out of the battery.
The pricey battery can be of value when energy output as well as small size are at a premium to a vehicle racer. To the turbo driver on the street it is a non-essential since the factory supplied battery is sufficient.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:51 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Thank you -- the application in which I am interested is racing. Is it possible to compare this battery with the DMS (Varley) Red Top (http://www.dmstech.co.uk)?
Old 12-14-2003, 10:22 AM
Bentley
Banned

Varley Red Top is an excellent racing battery. As a practical matter there would not be a quantum difference between it and the Reactor Battery as it would pertain to your racing activities. In fact, the greatest difference is possibly between the blue exterior of the Reactor and the red exterior of the Varley i.e., 'six of one or one half dozen of the other' so to speak.
If I was to purchase one it would probably be the Varley.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:36 AM
Bentley
Banned

The two battery companies do NOT have the EXACT SAME output ratings for a given weight of battery. That being said, the weight difference for approximately the same output is merely a matter of grams.
Again, there is no right nor wrong selection as it applies to DIRECT comparisons of these two company's batteries one could reasonably argue.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:11 PM
cobra06
Pro

Off the top of my head...

Reactor Power Cell Batteries are High Performance AGM or Valve Regulated Sealed Lead Acid construction. The electrolyte is suspended in a micro-fibrous silica glass mat (AGM) and packed tightly between the plates providing superior shock and vibration durability as well as a much lower internal resistance. This lower internal resistance provides greater starting power in a smaller sized case and allows quicker charging cycles. Reactor Power Cell Batteries are totally sealed and can be mounted in any position. They will not leak even if the case is compromised. They will never corrode posts or cables. Reactor Power Cell Batteries are hand-crafted to the highest of quality control standards for unequaled reliability and duration.

More info here:

Cobra Valley
Old 12-15-2003, 12:08 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Gell batteries can be useful if you intend to spend lots of time on your roof. They are readily available from aviation sources.

For weight savings, take a look at dry cell batteries. For example:

Odyssey

I've also seen photos of another style battery installed in a 996 as a replacement. On the porsche it is necessary to build a base which is then bolted in place of the original battery. I saw one of these batteries at Ring Racing last time I was there. They offer significant and easy weight savings with no down-side. In fact, I probably would even put one in my Turbo for street use:

Optima

Doesn't look superior to the dry cell but I'll let you do the research on that.

I would think if price is no obect then some other technologies might be even lighter but probably the charging systems would need to be adapted.

Stephen

Last edited by FixedWing; 12-15-2003 at 12:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Reactor Battery???