Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another performance mod (intake/intercoolers) question... sorry!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 02:16 PM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Another performance mod (intake/intercoolers) question... sorry!

I know these topics have been beaten to death over and over and over and over and over again... but I can’t seem to find a actual answer to these questions.

1) my car came with a evoms intake. My tuner (sambydesign) amongst other tuners I’ve spoken to say get rid of it. So I put a oem intake back on the car. I know you can’t beat Porsche engineering that goes into these things but is it worth it to put the evoms back on or is it just a conversation piece in the engine bay? Or is the oem airbox with a k&n/aftermarket filter just as good. I’m mafless so I’m not concerned about the old maf blowing issue.

And 2) my car currently has gt2 intercoolers and all after market tubing. My tuning is limited to my iat right now. They heat soak way too fast. I’m leaning towards gt2rs intercoolers again... based on Porsche engineering and price. Should I maybe look into markski instead? Is the trimming of the ducts difficult or is it relatively straight forward?

I have a laundry list of random maintenance I’ll be doing to the car while it’s hibernating, so I just want to know if the intercoolers are going to make me want to punch myself or not.

Sorry if these topics have been beaten to death like I said, I just never seem to find a actual 100% answer.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:39 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

i use gt2rs intercoolers. they are lightweight and they work well. trimming the ducts is hard to explain until you have it in front of you, but simple once you see it and know what you have to do.

i wouldn't put the evoms intake back on. Sam knows what he is talking about. if you want something different do filters on turbos, that works and is proven, but the evoms stuff isn't real world proven and i think it looks kinda odd as well to be honest. Also look at surface area of the filter... is the evoms filter surface area greater than surface area of filter in stock box? that is going to be your choke point. not sure how well or not the evoms handles heat...
Old 11-13-2017, 03:15 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

my '2 came with EVOMS, I converted it back to oem housing/oem filter... fits better, paper filters better vs cotton, no MAF issues with OEM filter vs oiled (my EVOMS had the dry-flow)
^Chris is exactly correct, surface area...
Old 11-13-2017, 03:54 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

Give me a call but I’ll gladly go over the install details with you. In fairness the intake can work pretty well but it really depends on the configuration. The big restriction or the inlet pipes, turbocharger size and the whole tracked like the coolers. The 996 turbo and GT2 are pretty small and get restrictive which causes them to get hotter even faster. I’m running a special on everything including our 4.5’s if you’re interested. Reach out anytime!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 11-13-2017, 06:19 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Just installed a set of Sam's 4.5" coolers. If you take your time its about as hard as a spark plug job. Just buy about 400 dremel wheels lol.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:41 PM
BauerR
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts

Stock filter setup unless you're going filters on turbos.
SRM 4.5" intercoolers and call it a day.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:43 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

strangely a 3 inch Y intake pipe has very very little BHP value, its another mod which you think would make massive sense but doesnt in reality
Old 11-15-2017, 03:32 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you are either making a massive power increase or the stock parts are extremely restrictive, the price/performance ratio for intake modifications on most turbo cars is very large. Take that money and spend it on a tune/larger turbos, larger exhaust, etc.

Dan
Old 11-16-2017, 11:02 AM
Flewis763
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The limitation of the stock intake system is in the piping from the box to the turbo, not the airbox itself. Upgrading the piping to the turbos or going filters on turbos is your best bet.

as for intercoolers, srm 4.5 for the win.

Quick Reply: Another performance mod (intake/intercoolers) question... sorry!