Sponsored by:

Door window adjustment help

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 08:37 AM
777mech
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door window adjustment help

Hey guys, looking to get some advice on adjusting my two side door windows. I pulled the glass out of both sides to work on the regulators and retint the windows. Hoping someone can check how big the gap is beween the door window and small back window. Also is the gap even ? To get my glass to fully contact the upper seal when he door is shut I end up with my front to back widow gap being tapered (bigger at the bottom, smaller towards the top) also I have been using the clamps to adjust things as the two 5mm screws at the clamps don't seem to make a difference. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:30 PM
777mech
Instructor

Can someone with a properly adjusted window post a pic of the front to rear window gap with measurement and a pic of the fwd upper seal contact area? Want to make sure I'm doing this right. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2017, 08:14 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

I tried taking photos but they were pretty much useless because everything is black on black. You cannot see anything.

I can tell you that the rear window to front window gap is exactly 1/4 inch even top to bottom on the driver side and 3/16 of an inch on the passenger side
Old 11-14-2017, 08:24 PM
777mech
Instructor

Ok, thanks I think maybe I'm trying to make my gaps too small at around 1/8" I'll have to try going bigger when I get off work tonight, I have been able to get contact to the top seal everywhere except the top forward 6 inches. Just don't want to risk water getting in since we get lots of rain this tie of year in seattle. How tightly should the windows push up against the seal?
Old 11-14-2017, 08:30 PM
Drinaldis
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I had to adjust my passenger side front glass. The gap was so small they would touch. Moved it forward in the clamps about 6mm to match the other side. The up and down adjustment is a separate adjustment done along the lower (horizontal) edge of the door. There are plugs to cover the screws.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:06 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 777mech
Ok, thanks I think maybe I'm trying to make my gaps too small at around 1/8" I'll have to try going bigger when I get off work tonight, I have been able to get contact to the top seal everywhere except the top forward 6 inches. Just don't want to risk water getting in since we get lots of rain this tie of year in seattle. How tightly should the windows push up against the seal?
The windows at the top are very tight against the seals. Almost no give when you press your finger in. The seal has a little more give to it at the forward curve of the glass.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:18 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 722 Likes on 500 Posts

Top of the window should just but into the door upper frame when closed. The rear gap to the 1/4 glass is bigger than you think, the tip of your finger should just fit into the hole.

FYI for the next time, use tape to mark the old line before you pull the glass out of the door and you will be able to put it right back to where it was removed from.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:49 PM
777mech
Instructor

My gaps were pretty crooked to begin with so I didn't bother marking anything. I played around a little with the two 5mm adjuster screws today. From what I experienced all they seem to really do is set the fully closed window height and VERY slightly adjust the rake since it only takes one of them to contact the stop and the whole window movement stops. Seems like the actual window rake is better adjusted by the two holding clamps as these are slotted up and down. I am getting a nice tight seal around most of the window except the very forward 6 inches along the top seal where it just BARELY contacts. This is getting annoying its almost like the seal doesnt stick out enough in this area and the window stops since the top is so tight.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:55 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think you have it right. On my window, which was factory installed, the forward six inches is also barely touching the seal.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:59 PM
777mech
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I think you have it right. On my window, which was factory installed, the forward six inches is also barely touching the seal.
good to know! I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for water getting in, just seems weird since everywhere else you can actually see it push on the seal
Old 11-16-2017, 03:44 PM
777mech
Instructor

Here's what I ended up with a nice even approx. 1/4" gap. I had to raise the window up more in the clamps to get a good seal. That seems fine but now I'm left with the center part of the window protruding up a little when fully down. I'll probably end up replacing this sides regulator eventually.

Quick Reply: Door window adjustment help