Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo won't start....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 03:45 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The good thing about a fuel pump relay jumper wire is that you can install it, then open the frunk, get out and walk to the front of the car and listen very closely as the pump should be on continuously. Trying to hear the pump when you turn on the ignition with the relay in place with other systems starting up is not easy. A lot of cars also run the pump during ignition on only momentarily.

Dan
Old 11-13-2017, 04:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Update: And it is the fuel pump...

SA called and passed on the tech's diagnosis: It is the fuel pump.

SA went on to say the tech recommends replacing the fuel pump relay, fuel filter (and I think a seal that goes with this) at the same time as the fuel pump. I said go ahead.

(Fuel filter is probably due to be replaced on miles anyhow.)

Fuel pump parts cost is around $450. I didn't write down the parts cost of the filter, seal, and relay but I seem to recall $50 for the filter, some few bucks for the seal and for the relay.

Parts should be ordered today but not sure if the order will be in time for the parts to come in Tuesday.

Labor estimated to be around $1000. When I had the car in before for a new fuel filter I do remember other techs telling me the filter is a bit "fiddly" to change. But I don't recall what this cost before to replace. (What I do know is I sure do appreciate my 2002 Boxster's in tank fuel filter than never needs replacing!)

SA said he'd do what he could with my PCA club membership discount and good customer discount on the parts and labor costs.

I said anything he could do would be very much appreciated.

SA went on to say he'll be in touch later to let me know when I can expect the car to be ready to pick up.

Kind of nice to get the Turbo fuel pump out of the way. It was in the back of mind wondering when it would act up.

('course, I can't totally relax. The Boxster's replacement fuel pump has over 143,000 miles on it. The original one lasted 172K miles so the replacement pump is closer to the end of its service life than the beginning. Oh well.)
Old 11-13-2017, 05:11 PM
my04996tt
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Between your 2 cars, that's a whole lot of miles driven!! Have you ever broke down the maint cost per mile?
Old 11-13-2017, 05:13 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,444 Posts

I am not trying to nit pick but $1000 for labor alone is a bit high. Each of those items is only one hour of labor each to replace. I guess maybe he had some diagnoses labor added in?

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 11-13-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:28 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

aftermarket pump costs 105$ takes less than 2 hrs from start to finish. 50$ for a filter add another hr. time to learn how to wrench. if the relay isnt blown no need to replace it
Old 11-13-2017, 05:28 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

Macster, I would ask the tech to replace the two lift pumps while he is in there. A tear or split can impact the available fuel being delivered into the pump/swirl pot. This will cause cavitation and stress your new pump.

I mention this due to your mileage and your long distance travel.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:12 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Macster, I would ask the tech to replace the two lift pumps while he is in there. A tear or split can impact the available fuel being delivered into the pump/swirl pot. This will cause cavitation and stress your new pump.

Bit of a thread jack.

Kevin how do those lift pumps work? Each have two hoses on them, do all the hoses suck up fuel?
Old 11-13-2017, 06:48 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Spoke with the tech this AM. He's at work and feeling much better, thank goodness. Told him if he hadn't showed up today I was going to send him a "Get Well Or Else!" card. He just laughed.

Anyhow, the tech thinks it is a fuel pump. Says he's done a few already. 160K miles is pretty good life out of one.

He says the fuel pump is hard to hear. Appparently what I heard was not hard to hear and my hearing ain't the best to begin with so what I was hearing was probably not the fuel pump but the auto climate control servos/motors positoning the various flaps in the A/C system.

Anyhow the car will be pushed in and he'll check the fuse, try a bypass relay, check for any codes, then disconnect the fuel pump from the car's electrical system and apply shop 12V power to the pump. (Just like the tech did when my Boxster was in for what proved to be a bad fuel pump some years ago.)

If he can get the fuel pump id'd as the culprit in time to get the part on order today it should be here Tuesday and the car might be done Tuesday by COB. If not Tuesday then Wednesday.
you dodged a bullet! have they told you about the cost yet? i had to r&r mine at an LA area dealership because i was stuck on the road so couldn't DIY..and they first quoted me like 3 hours labor plus the part ( 600 ish iirc? ) and i said..

hell no, its a two hour job max! ( really an hour or so for a pro! ) and i said forget fake news book time, this is my THIRD FP! and the SA grumbled and said "ok, i'll apply some ( ahem ) discount coupons"(?) or some such BS and i got outa there right about $1100. w tax etc.

just my data point. wonder what they'll come up with price wise in NorCal? GL with them, macster. oh, and BTW.. i think 160k miles from an original is some kind of a record
Old 11-13-2017, 07:12 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
aftermarket pump costs 105$ takes less than 2 hrs from start to finish. 50$ for a filter add another hr. time to learn how to wrench. if the relay isnt blown no need to replace it
Agree with 32Krazy a fuel pump is maximum two hours to replace and the filter, I do it in one hour and I lower the engine to do it! I saw a new pump (996-620-107-02) for $433.78 and sometime the seal (996-615-101-00) of the fuel tank cover need to be replaced $11.94. The relay (996-615-101-00) is $28.27 and really easy to replace, near the OBDII port. The fuel filter (996-110-253-52) $40.05... The troubleshooting of the fuel pump should not take more than one hour, you just connect a pressure gauge to the fuel filter port and see if you obtain 55 pounds when pump energized and engine not running, 48 pounds with the engine running (not your case)... Macster use these informations when negotiating the total because $1000 labor is way too high IMHO....
Old 11-13-2017, 08:12 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jpflip
Macster use these informations when negotiating the total because $1000 labor is way too high IMHO....
i didn't notice that! that is WAY too high. mac, call a couple of dealerships and ask them what they say is "book time" and you'll get answers of btw 2 & 3 hours. 4 hours labor is insane and usurious. then tell your SA what other dealerships charge for a FP replacement and they *should* downward adjust your *quote* or final bill. that said, i had to "argue" a bit with them also, but that is not a problem for me lol

again, mine ( the last one ) was $1100 INCL tax and labor.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Are you referring to the siphon jets? I was under the impression the new fuel pump came complete with all new hoses/siphon jets.

But thanks for the heads up. I'll get in touch with the SA right now.

Update:

Just looked at an online parts diagram and the venturi tubes appear to be sold separately. I just emailed the SA asking him if the tech has looked at the hoses/venturi tubes and what does he think.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Update. New fuel pump on the bench....

Tech should have the pump in and everything done by this afternoon.

Won't be able to pick up the car officially until Wednesday AM before work but the SA and I have an arrangement I can pick up the car after work tonight for a road test/shake down then come back the next day and make the pick up of the car official. Also, I can leave the Boxster there as it was due to go under the wrench last Thursday for a P1128 error code.

Some pics: 1st is the new fuel pump. 2nd is the fuel tank opening into which the pump fits.

Tech reports the siphon hoses/jets look ok and he says he's never had to replace one so he recommends leaving them alone. I know I've encountered one or two cases online of one of these failing but the number is not that high. So I decided to leave the siphon hoses alone. We'll see how this works out.

Still thanks to Kevin for reminding me of this.

Kind of amazing how small the fuel pump is, the actual fuel pump. Like the fuel pump in my Boxster it was all housing. The actual pump is about the size of a can of soda pop or beer. Just happen to have the old Boxster fuel pump handy and I measured the Boxster fuel pump and it is 5.5" long and just short of 2" in diameter. The Turbo fuel pump what I could see of it in the housing looks to be about the same size.
Attached Images   
Old 11-14-2017, 04:09 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

i have talked to 3 different guys in the last week that had cracks in the sump hoses. change them now or pay the labor all over again in the near future. 14 yr old plastic being sucked thru to a new pump its not will they fail but when
Old 11-14-2017, 04:34 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

Steve is correct...

Guys the nylon hose that splits in the fuel pump assy will split in the venture lift pump hoses.

The logic with the Porsche tech saying>>we don't see them fail, is false. Tell me what his diagnostics procedure is in checking them?? Did he pull them out and pressure test them? Again, fuel flow and fuel pressure is used to create a suction to lift the fuel from the bottom of the sponsons, deep down in your fuel tank. It is these small cracks that cause the fuel pump to work harder. Your fuel level falls below the white swirl pump. Cavitation and the interruption of fuel into that white swirl port will reduce the flow to your injectors REGARDLESS if you hear the fuel pump running.

I think that this is my 6 or 7th post encouraging folks to replace these venture pump lines when the fuel pump is replaced.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Steve is correct...

Guys the nylon hose that splits in the fuel pump assy will split in the venture lift pump hoses.

The logic with the Porsche tech saying>>we don't see them fail, is false. Tell me what his diagnostics procedure is in checking them?? Did he pull them out and pressure test them? Again, fuel flow and fuel pressure is used to create a suction to lift the fuel from the bottom of the sponsons, deep down in your fuel tank. It is these small cracks that cause the fuel pump to work harder. Your fuel level falls below the white swirl pump. Cavitation and the interruption of fuel into that white swirl port will reduce the flow to your injectors REGARDLESS if you hear the fuel pump running.

I think that this is my 6 or 7th post encouraging folks to replace these venture pump lines when the fuel pump is replaced.
Ok. I'll contact the SA and if the tank isn't buttoned up have the lift hoses/etc replaced.

Update: Just got off the phone with the SA. He says the car is finished ready to pick up. He'll talk to the tech to find out what $damage$ it is to replace the venturi tubes/hoses/siphon jet things at this stage.

Unless I get a break on labor I will probably just let these go and deal with them when (if) they are a problem.

Update 2: SA called me. Tech said the hoses will probably last the life of the car. I know you (editorial you) guys say otherwise but I do know some problems other Turbo owners experience seem to give me a miss. Granted not many but some. A few. Well, ok, hopefully this one.

The SA says the tech said it is a fair bit of work (read $$$) to replace those hoses. They look to run over $200/each which is not the most expensive Turbo parts I've been faced buying.

The SA said the tech said to drive the Turbo and get the Boxster booked in and fixed and back home and then if I still want the jets/hoses/etc replaced he'll have a quote for me in a day or two.

So, I'll pick up the Turbo tonight after work and give it a shake down and if the Turbo is ok leave the Boxster in place of the Turbo. Tomorrow AM I'll stop in and settle up and get the Boxster in to have that pesky P1128 error addressed.

After I get the Boxster back I'll see what the quote is.

Questions for those that have been down this road: Does the fuel tank have to come out of the car? Does it have to be drained? The tank is nearly 3/4 full. I guess I am wondering just what level of work is involved in replacing those hoses/jets/etc? The fuel pump replacement seems to be a pretty straightforward job. I don't even think the tech got his hands in gasoline (well, of course he wouldn't anyhow as he wears gloves but you know what I mean).

Last edited by Macster; 11-14-2017 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Turbo won't start....