Sponsored by:

Intercooler Inlet Scoops for reduced IATs

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 08:17 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,892 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Default Intercooler Inlet Scoops for reduced IATs

I recently had a set of intercooler inlets made by Manthey Racing in Germany. I don't get impressed very easily but these inlets are extremelly nice. The inlet lip is fully formed and blends in perfectly with the existing inlets. Aesthetically they hit it out of the ballpark fitting in perfectly with the lines of the car. I did a quick test fit on the car and the fit and finish is nearly perfect with very minor sanding required before these get submitted the the shop for painting body color. The inlets are made out of 100% carbon fiber and are light as a feather at 4 oz each. Attachment will be via 3M double sided tape. Manthey has tested these in their wind tunnel and achieved a speed dependent 5-10ºC (9-18F) reduction in IATs with these inlets. This is a significant reduction. I will be installing these in the offseason.

With that said, I have brand new pair of Joe Toth inlets that I won't need since the Mantheys arrived. If anyone wants to grab these from me, let me know. These inlets also provide significant IAT reduction benefits as verified by several members that are using them.

Manthey Racing CF inlets:

Joe Toth inlets:

Last edited by powdrhound; 11-07-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:23 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,525 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Have you been able to measure the increase in air volume with either installed?
Old 11-06-2017, 09:37 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Have you been able to measure the increase in air volume with either installed?
I have run neither. Several guys here are running the Toth inlets and have positive data on the improvements. They might chime in. I have no reason to doubt Mantheys claims. They have run the inlets on their race GT2s and TTs. Manthey uses a Maha Dyno along with a wind tunnel to verify their parts. There is no bs with Manthey. They are the real deal.

Take a look at the prototype inlets on the 991GT2RS. They were eerily similar to the Toth inlets while the production versions are less aggressive similar to the Manthey versions.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:10 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I have run neither. Several guys here are running the Toth inlets and have positive data on the improvements. They might chime in. I have no reason to doubt Mantheys claims. They have run the inlets on their race GT2s and TTs. Manthey uses a Maha Dyno along with a wind tunnel to verify their parts. There is no bs with Manthey. They are the real deal.

Take a look at the prototype inlets on the 991GT2RS. They were eerily similar to the Toth inlets while the production versions are less aggressive similar to the Manthey versions.
I have no doubts they offer increased air flow and performance. I was just curious about the numbers.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:12 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It is a wonder that nobody has come up with a complete replacement to the stock plastic insert.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:09 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 344 Posts

nice stuff, but am not surprised... it is Manthey afterall ...
Old 11-07-2017, 08:55 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Toth inlets have gone to a new home...
Old 11-07-2017, 09:19 PM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 87 Posts

I need those manthey scoops ASAP! What do they run and what’s the process on ordering them? I went to their site and it’s in German. Had it translated and I could let find anything for ordering.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:46 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rvca3112
I need those manthey scoops ASAP! What do they run and what’s the process on ordering them? I went to their site and it’s in German. Had it translated and I could let find anything for ordering.
I had a number of guys email me regarding these with more info. Instead of answering multiple emails, here is the info. Manthey makes these on a request basis. These were developed and used on Manthey's 996TT and GT2 race cars. With that said, getting a set is not exactly easy. Due to company regulations, Manthey will not ship to the US and as such you must have them sent somewhere in the EU and then have them sent on to you. As a result, you will need to pay VAT. All in all, it's a $1400-1500 exercise to get these into your hands, assuming US customs doesn't tag you for some more $. Certainly not cheap but they are top notch..
Old 11-09-2017, 10:17 AM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious... Why did you never run the Toth inlets? And why these now w/o giving the Toth's a run to compare? Who knows - maybe they are even more effective than the Manthey parts...

As I said, just curious.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:18 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SteveMFr
Just curious... Why did you never run the Toth inlets? And why these now w/o giving the Toth's a run to compare? Who knows - maybe they are even more effective than the Manthey parts...

As I said, just curious.
I just never go a chance to run the Toth parts as I was going to install them this winter but then I managed to get a set of the Manthey ones and decided to go that route. Based on the few guys that I talked to that run the Toth inlets and have logs to back it up, they do absolutely work 100%. I simply prefer the more understated OEM look of the CF Manthey inlets. As far as effectiveness goes, my bet is that the Toth inlets are going to be slightly more effective simply due to their sheer size, but at the expense of picking up more debris and tire marbles at the track.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:02 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 153 Posts

here is a chart i made a while back showing difference in the toth scoops vs no scoops on same day back to back sessions at a local track. left side is toth, right side is no scoops. i had some traffic in the beginning of the session with no scoops for the first lap or so, and the car was warmer going on track at the beginning of the session with the toth scoops.

i think these manthey scoops look nicer; and yes, toth scoops do require some cleaning out every now and then haha.
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2017, 06:42 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ Thanks.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Inlet Scoops for reduced IATs