Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulsating steering feedback during sharp left turn

Old 10-31-2017, 10:29 PM
kelbahi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulsating steering feedback during sharp left turn

During sharp left turns my car had developed some pulsating feedback in the steering wheel. I can’t really hear anything ( I had my wife drive slowly while I was outside listening.) There seems to be a bit of unevenness when the wheels are turning and the steering is cranked all the way left. I first assumed it was the wheel bearing, but there is no play in the bearing. I also checked the CV boots, there are no signs of damage. Any thoughts on what to check next would be appreciated.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:54 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

I had similar symptoms and the wheel bearings were at fault. Because of the front drive shafts acting as a stabilizing force there may not be any noticeable play or movement of the wheel bearing when manipulating it by hand but the bearing can still be bad.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:45 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by kelbahi
During sharp left turns my car had developed some pulsating feedback in the steering wheel. I can’t really hear anything ( I had my wife drive slowly while I was outside listening.) There seems to be a bit of unevenness when the wheels are turning and the steering is cranked all the way left. I first assumed it was the wheel bearing, but there is no play in the bearing. I also checked the CV boots, there are no signs of damage. Any thoughts on what to check next would be appreciated.
While you haven't reported it the behavior probably appears when you make a slow speed right hand turn, too.

I note you are in BC. Getting cool up there?

These cars manifest a front tire scrubbing behavior during slow speed sharp -- full lock or very near it -- turn and the behavior is exacerbated in colder weather.

The problem is the front wheel/tire geometry has the inside tire tread making partial contact with the pavement and during a sharp turn the inside tire scrubs because of its partial contact and the fact it follows a less than optimum radius during the turn. The outside front tire is flat on the ground and more heavily loaded so it doesn't scrub.

BTW, my Boxster does the same thing.

You are certainly welcome to get the car checked out by a professional Porsche tech for a loose wheel/tire assembly (bad bearing) and have the CV boots checked for tears/splits and the CV joints checked for any looseness, in short have the front (and while it is up in the air, the rear) suspension checked out along with the steering and front AWD system hardware just to be sure there is nothing loose or bad that could account for the behavior.

I mean what you are experiencing can be normal for reasons I have covered above but I'm not at the car to observe the behavior and it may be something abnormal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pulsating steering feedback during sharp left turn