Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Cover Question

Old 10-25-2017, 01:48 PM
Rustler
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Car Cover Question

My car gets driven selectively in the winter, and I'd like to put a dust cover on it when it's not in use. It's parked in a heated garage. I am not concerned with appearance, just functionality of the cover.

Porsche branded car covers run in the hundreds of dollars, and car parts stores sell simple universal fitting indoor covers for less than $30.

Is there anything wrong with using one of these generic car parts store quality covers for this application? I know it's not sexy, but seems like it should do the job?

BTW, I just started using one on my '64 Corvair which I store all winter. It seems to be soft on the inside and the box says it is breathable. The paint is rugged on that car so the only thing I"m concerned about there is not trapping moisture. Doesn't seem to be an issue so far, but it's only been a few weeks.

Thoughts and especially personal experiences are welcome. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:57 PM
ANJ-911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I imagine if the quality is good the generic cover would be ok as long as it's breathable and soft. Maybe it wouldn't fit so well though?

I've been using this Porsche one for a few years without issues and it isn't terribly expensive: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/TCC996.html

Last edited by ANJ-911; 10-25-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:10 PM
Rustler
Instructor

Thanks, the "value" one on Suncoast is pretty reasonably priced.

The genero one I have for the Corvair feels soft on the inside and says it's breathable, I guess my question is really, does anyone have any experience that they cheap one's are actually harmful to use? (i.e. they feel soft but are actually made of a material that will abrade clear coat, or they say breathable but aren't and will trap moisture).

There's just so much snake oil in a auto parts store it makes me nervous. Even though this seems like a good cheap alternative to a more expensive cover, maybe I'm missing something.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:20 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I think the value is largely in the custom fit.

If it's outside in the wind, for example, and the cover doesn't fit well, it could blow around and add scratches as it moves around on the surface of the paint. I had a genero one before, and the fitment was a bummer to me. If it's indoors, though, maybe not a concern for you.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:24 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I think I may have a silver grey Porsche cover in storage. Let me know if interested I see if I still have it. My turbo sits underneath California Car Covers cotton with the flannel lined. These are well made tailored fit and have used them since the 70’s. Great US made co.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:08 PM
Rustler
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oak
I think I may have a silver grey Porsche cover in storage. Let me know if interested I see if I still have it. My turbo sits underneath California Car Covers cotton with the flannel lined. These are well made tailored fit and have used them since the 70’s. Great US made co.
That would be excellent. PM me or reply here if you find it, and let me know what you would like for it. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:16 PM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

The Triguard car cover is a great value and does exactly as its intended to. It's a lot less expensive than the top of the line cover but it's tailor fitted to your exact car and has the Porsche logo and crest on the front hood area.

Also included is a security lock as well as a storage. For an OEM car cover it's hard to beat. If you have any questions shoot us a PM.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/TCC996.html

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 10-25-2017, 06:52 PM
jpcork40
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have owned a Porsche OEM cover and recently got one from Carnewal which I like better. They are made in Italy and even with exchange rate are very reasonable.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:46 PM
marekd174
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpcork40
I have owned a Porsche OEM cover and recently got one from Carnewal which I like better. They are made in Italy and even with exchange rate are very reasonable.
Where on their side is this listed, as I can't seem to find it.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:16 PM
jpcork40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by marekd174
Where on their side is this listed, as I can't seem to find it.
Here is a link:

http://www.carnewal.com/products/All...r-Cover-Indoor

It's under the "General" section under the main menu.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:06 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Here is a link:

http://www.carnewal.com/products/All...r-Cover-Indoor

It's under the "General" section under the main menu.
Looks like they are $275USD shipped... Quite a bit more than the Suncoast option.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:22 PM
jpcork40
Rennlist Member

Your comparing the Silverguard or Triguard cover which are not OEM covers.
The Premium OEM Indoor cover is $379.00
Old 10-27-2017, 04:24 PM
jpcork40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
Looks like they are $275USD shipped... Quite a bit more than the Suncoast option.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:50 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Montana has many dry sunny days in winter, but as you know the roads will still be covered in wet, dirty, sandy grit. Washing and drying all that off the car in wintertime is not easy. Consider just draping old bed sheets as a simple dust cover. Stretching and struggling a fitted car cover on will cause any missed bit of dirt to cause swirl and scratchy marks into the paint. Also, as the cover gets dirty it will wear on the paint each time you put it on or take it off.

For the first time in many years our 911 will stay home, as the stupid new Jaguar (SUV) gets the call up for the three-month driving trip to southern California and beyond . I’ve scrubbed and waxed the GTS, had the oil changed and pumped the tires to 50 in prep for storage. We have a Porsche indoor cover that fits snug and perfect. This cover rarely gets used as the rule is, only a clean cover over a clean car. One good thing about the Porsche indoor cover is it’s not bulky and if necessary I can run it through our washer/dryer. The fabric used in this cover seems to come extra clean and retain its elastic property. With lined covers it’s hard to get all the dirt to rinse out in a home washing machine.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:44 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Do they say "996 turbo" on the front lip?

Cool that you can pick the color, though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Cover Question