Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 06:59 PM
ghostofpain
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostofpain
I use Motul 75W140 Gear competition.
I will try castrol limited slip 75w140.
If you do track your car, i would recommend this oil over a 70 W90.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:43 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostofpain
I will try castrol limited slip 75w140.
If you do track your car, i would recommend this oil over a 70 W90.
If you track, especially with a clutch type LSD, I would stick with what Porsche Motorsport uses...
Old 10-04-2017, 09:56 AM
ghostofpain
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
If you track, especially with a clutch type LSD, I would stick with what Porsche Motorsport uses...
With a cooled gearbox you are right.
With a stock gearbox the oil temps could
get critical.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:40 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts

I don't have a 996 manual but from the 997 manual.
Manual transmission and differential
approx. 3.17 quarts / 3.0 liters transmission oil Mobilube PTX Formula A (SAE 75W-90) GL 4.5

Porsche Doppelkupplung Wheel set
approx. 3.12 quarts / 2.95 liters ATF transmission oil Mobilube PTX Formula A (SAE 75W-90) GL 4.5
So Mobilube PTX is Porsche approved. The big difference is friction modifiers added to PTX. It a bit more "slippery" and helps when the transmission is cold and can alleviate balky shifting.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:20 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hula
I don't have a 996 manual but from the 997 manual.
Manual transmission and differential
approx. 3.17 quarts / 3.0 liters transmission oil Mobilube PTX Formula A (SAE 75W-90) GL 4.5

Porsche Doppelkupplung Wheel set
approx. 3.12 quarts / 2.95 liters ATF transmission oil Mobilube PTX Formula A (SAE 75W-90) GL 4.5
So Mobilube PTX is Porsche approved. The big difference is friction modifiers added to PTX. It a bit more "slippery" and helps when the transmission is cold and can alleviate balky shifting.
I question that since the spec for Porsche transmissions is not to be too slippery for the best synchro performance. One of the reasons they recommend oil without friction modifiers!
Think it has to do more with additives that improve fluidity and the TE-ML 11 spec, which is a ZF spec dictating longevity.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:24 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
I question that since the spec for Porsche transmissions is not to be too slippery for the best synchro performance. One of the reasons they recommend oil without friction modifiers!
Think it has to do more with additives that improve fluidity and the TE-ML 11 spec, which is a ZF spec dictating longevity.
I'll defer to just about anybody on the specifics. I'm still about 140 credit hours short of a degree in chemical engineering. But PTX solved most of my balky shifting problems. Shifting was smoother and the dreaded 1st gear lock out all but disappeared.

From Mobil:
Product Description
Mobilube PTX is a SAE 75W-90 multipurpose gear lubricant. It has been developed to provide outstanding performance specifically in Porsche 911 transaxles. It provides low temperature fluidity with high temperature stability ensuring excellent wear protection in these transaxles over a wide range of operating conditions.

Features and Benefits
The combination of synthetic base fluid technology and special high performance additives have been carefully formulated to meet the low temperature fluidity requirements of Porsche. It also provides excellent synchromesh compatibility and 'shiftability', whilst maintaining excellent wear protection.
Mobil PTX provides the following benefits:

Excellent low temperature fluidity, giving easier gear changing from cold over conventional SAE 80W-90 and 75W-90 grades.
Excellent synchromesh compatibility / durability.
Good thermal /oxidative stability.
High level of wear protection under some of the most severe conditions.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:57 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 91 Posts

Well, damn. I just spent some dough flushing mine w/ the "standard" Porsche fluid, and didn't experience any improvement. Sounds like I should have gone with this.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:45 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hula
I'll defer to just about anybody on the specifics. I'm still about 140 credit hours short of a degree in chemical engineering. But PTX solved most of my balky shifting problems. Shifting was smoother and the dreaded 1st gear lock out all but disappeared.

From Mobil:
Product Description
Mobilube PTX is a SAE 75W-90 multipurpose gear lubricant. It has been developed to provide outstanding performance specifically in Porsche 911 transaxles. It provides low temperature fluidity with high temperature stability ensuring excellent wear protection in these transaxles over a wide range of operating conditions.

Features and Benefits
The combination of synthetic base fluid technology and special high performance additives have been carefully formulated to meet the low temperature fluidity requirements of Porsche. It also provides excellent synchromesh compatibility and 'shiftability', whilst maintaining excellent wear protection.
Mobil PTX provides the following benefits:

Excellent low temperature fluidity, giving easier gear changing from cold over conventional SAE 80W-90 and 75W-90 grades.
Excellent synchromesh compatibility / durability.
Good thermal /oxidative stability.
High level of wear protection under some of the most severe conditions.
My post doesnt disagree with with the description you came back with. My question Was that of using friction modifiers as you stated. Friction modifiers are used predominately in clutch lsd differentials to let one of the driven axles to slip while cornering. Friction modifiers diminish syncromesh performance since it provides more slip. The syncros need to get the gear being shifted to up to speed to match the driving gear speed, you need friction to get the gear spinning quickly.
The description says it exceeds conventional SAE 80w-90 etc. One reason, most hypoid or synthtetic gear oils come with friction modifiers. PTX and Delvac do not have conventional levels of fictiion modifiers.
To be honest never saw a difference between PTX & Delvaic in my climate which has ambient temps on average over a year of 72 degrees, never really gets to freezing.

Quick Reply: Mobilube PTX transmission oil