Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Suspension - Ohlins, PSS10 or Bilstein Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 03:27 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

@evolution, anything else you installed? Or just the coilovers?

I finally given up the urge to do this myself and am taking it in next week to install. Have the non-adjustable thrust arm metal bushings, and am going to put in the GT2 brackets in the rear to gain some clearance. Hoping to get it down pretty low without the need for anything else.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:10 PM
Evolution
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by soon2be993TT
@evolution, anything else you installed? Or just the coilovers?

I finally given up the urge to do this myself and am taking it in next week to install. Have the non-adjustable thrust arm metal bushings, and am going to put in the GT2 brackets in the rear to gain some clearance. Hoping to get it down pretty low without the need for anything else.
Just the Ohlins to start. Will likely replace other peripheral elements as needed.

-Joe
Old 03-14-2018, 08:20 PM
Evolution
Pro

awesome, looks like you stay pretty conservative in terms of height
At install we set the height at 25 3/8 Front / 25 7/8 Rear.

I’m putting some miles on it this week before it goes for alignment next week, MAY go a bit lower before that... but there’s only 10mm of additional room to go lower, so incremental I’m not convinced it’s worth it. Certainly not as low as my old Cayman on H&R track coilovers!

Old 03-15-2018, 10:08 PM
NoEardGoat
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I called Ohlins today and tech was super helpful answering my questions.
1. Should I look at uprating the stock R&T springs for a vehicle with 50/50 autocross/street use?
Answer: The Ohlins R&T kits Ohlins sells are specifically tested and tuned on each vehicle for a balance of road & track use and suggested I start with the given springs and said spring upgrades are pretty inexpensive.
2. What is the difference between the TT & GT3 kits? And if I were to go 2wd at a later date could the TT kit be adapted to the GT3 front wheel carriers?
Answer: For TT kit to work on GT3 wheel carriers you simply remove the adapter sleeve on the Ohlins shock body re spring and re valve.
3. Could the rubber bushing on the rear lower shock body be upgraded to a mono ball bearing?
Answer: They have don't have an off the shelf part but if I wanted could come up with a solution possibly using TTX lower shock body parts.

My impression of their support is outstanding. As you can see the Ohlins bug has been flying around me and is about to bite!

What type of sway bar links are being used with the Ohlins R&T?
The following users liked this post:
Turbo Racer (02-04-2023)
Old 03-16-2018, 03:00 AM
butzigear
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoEardGoat
I called Ohlins today and tech was super helpful answering my questions.
1. Should I look at uprating the stock R&T springs for a vehicle with 50/50 autocross/street use?
Answer: The Ohlins R&T kits Ohlins sells are specifically tested and tuned on each vehicle for a balance of road & track use and suggested I start with the given springs and said spring upgrades are pretty inexpensive.
2. What is the difference between the TT & GT3 kits? And if I were to go 2wd at a later date could the TT kit be adapted to the GT3 front wheel carriers?
Answer: For TT kit to work on GT3 wheel carriers you simply remove the adapter sleeve on the Ohlins shock body re spring and re valve.
3. Could the rubber bushing on the rear lower shock body be upgraded to a mono ball bearing?
Answer: They have don't have an off the shelf part but if I wanted could come up with a solution possibly using TTX lower shock body parts.

My impression of their support is outstanding. As you can see the Ohlins bug has been flying around me and is about to bite!

What type of sway bar links are being used with the Ohlins R&T?
Jake at Ohlins is great to work with. As a dealer he is helpful with anything and everything I throw at him.

I have set up quite a few Rennlisters with suspension components amongst other parts. Please let me know if you need help, I have an open order with Ohlins which I will be closing tomorrow. If you'd like to get in and save on the 2017 prices (prices go up on Ohlins across the board 3/16/18) let me know and I'll offer you and others great Rennlister pricing. Cheers!
Old 03-16-2018, 03:03 AM
butzigear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Evolution
At install we set the height at 25 3/8 Front / 25 7/8 Rear.

I’m putting some miles on it this week before it goes for alignment next week, MAY go a bit lower before that... but there’s only 10mm of additional room to go lower, so incremental I’m not convinced it’s worth it. Certainly not as low as my old Cayman on H&R track coilovers!

Looking good. It's great to hear that you are loving the coilovers. It looks like you have a bit of room you can come down to dial in your height. In regards to H&R, I always found it odd how low their RSS kits make these cars... on the 996tt it is just too low in many cases.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:50 AM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

well, if the ohlins are limited to only about 10mm more than you show, i may have made the wrong purchase. Big purpose for me was to get lower then the limit my pss10's have.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:10 AM
NoEardGoat
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.ohlins.eu/download/db/Oh...--00000142.pdf

Manual says +15/-15 mm height adjustment from "standard position". Which isn't very much. Maybe the spring can be shortened for increased lowering?
Old 03-16-2018, 11:16 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

With most of these aftermarket pieces - the range of adjustment is not great. Probably the smallest on the PSS9's even the Ohlins and KW are close - I think the MCS has one of the greatest ranges of adjustment.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:41 PM
Evolution
Pro

well, if the ohlins are limited to only about 10mm more than you show, i may have made the wrong purchase. Big purpose for me was to get lower then the limit my pss10's have.
Here are another couple of views, perhaps more true-to-size. With another 10mm available, which I think I may do this week. Will report back if that’s the case.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:25 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Here are another couple of views, perhaps more true-to-size. With another 10mm available, which I think I may do this week. Will report back if that’s the case.
thats a great look right there. no need to any lower it wont help performance or ride
Old 03-17-2018, 06:28 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,576 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
thats a great look right there. no need to any lower it wont help performance or ride
+1
Old 03-17-2018, 07:23 PM
butzigear
Former Vendor

Looking good. How long and how many miles since install? What are your fender to ground measurements? Looks like the rear can come down a touch or the front up a hair.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:30 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by butzigear
Jake at Ohlins is great to work with. As a dealer he is helpful with anything and everything I throw at him.

I have set up quite a few Rennlisters with suspension components amongst other parts. Please let me know if you need help, I have an open order with Ohlins which I will be closing tomorrow. If you'd like to get in and save on the 2017 prices (prices go up on Ohlins across the board 3/16/18) let me know and I'll offer you and others great Rennlister pricing. Cheers!
What are they increasing the price to? Or by how much?
Old 03-17-2018, 11:29 PM
butzigear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mtrboatvr6
What are they increasing the price to? Or by how much?
For the 996TT they went from MSRP $2875 to $3100. If you need anything, just let me know and I can hook you up with fellow Rennlister pricing. By the way, I love your handle / screen name... The VR6 is one of my favorite engines... actually it is my favorite haha. Don’t tell the Flat 6!!

what VR did/do you have? What Porsche do you have?

Quick Reply: Opinions on Suspension - Ohlins, PSS10 or Bilstein Shocks