Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Suspension - Ohlins, PSS10 or Bilstein Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018 | 09:10 PM
Evolution
Pro

Originally Posted by soon2be993TT
joe, i ended up ordering my kit today, couldn't find them cheaper then you had found them before even when i tried to get us a discount.

Looks like there are a few of us going to be installing the R&T's shortly
Agreed - ordered mine as well. 😎
Old 02-23-2018 | 09:00 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

good info! thanks... we are running my stock GT2/Bilstein coilovers in my dad's 6tt, same idea
Originally Posted by T10Chris
Rates are different, and when I was researching coilovers I found to make up for the different size of the shock mounting point on the upright they supply a sleeve in the turbo kit that fits over the shock body that isn't included in the GT kit. The sleeve is removable if decides to go with GT3 uprights (good luck finding those though).
Old 02-23-2018 | 03:44 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

just realized I have the PSS10 end links that came with the car when I bought it with my eibach sway bars. Will I be able to reuse these?
Old 02-25-2018 | 03:19 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Just wanted to follow up see what end links people are using
Old 02-26-2018 | 01:14 AM
Ripgut
Intermediate

I bought my car used with some H&R coil overs. The rear struts were leaking so rather than rebuilding them, I purchased a set of Ohlins R&T from Ira at Tarrett a few months ago. The H&R coil overs that came with the car had helper springs which leads me to believe they were quite stiff springs. The stock R&T springs were WAY too soft for my taste; but the compliance on the R&T are amazing. I asked Ira to send me a stiffer set of springs (Swift) and went as stiff as Ohlins USA recommended. These Swift springs are still way too soft for my liking; If I wanted to go stiffer, I'd have to revalve them for another $650 (plus more down time). And for some reason, Ira took it upon himself to send me 180mm length front springs rather than stock R&T 200mm length ones. Now, the sway bar drop links don't fit properly and I hear a lot of clunking up front when I drive over bumps. I wish I had just rebuilt the H&R ones.
And the camber plates don't offer any noticeable improvement, just a lot of extra noise. I regret having spent all that $$.
Old 02-26-2018 | 11:22 AM
Evolution
Pro

Ohlins Amateur hour strikes again - next question for the squad: for those who installed, what ride height did you choose? Any pictures? Thinking that I'll start with dampening at 10 clicks and going from there + GT2 alignment, but unsure about ride height. Obviously subjective and dependent on use/location, but would love to see some of your finished products.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 02-26-2018 | 11:54 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ripgut
I bought my car used with some H&R coil overs. The rear struts were leaking so rather than rebuilding them, I purchased a set of Ohlins R&T from Ira at Tarrett a few months ago. The H&R coil overs that came with the car had helper springs which leads me to believe they were quite stiff springs. The stock R&T springs were WAY too soft for my taste; but the compliance on the R&T are amazing. I asked Ira to send me a stiffer set of springs (Swift) and went as stiff as Ohlins USA recommended. These Swift springs are still way too soft for my liking; If I wanted to go stiffer, I'd have to revalve them for another $650 (plus more down time). And for some reason, Ira took it upon himself to send me 180mm length front springs rather than stock R&T 200mm length ones. Now, the sway bar drop links don't fit properly and I hear a lot of clunking up front when I drive over bumps. I wish I had just rebuilt the H&R ones.
And the camber plates don't offer any noticeable improvement, just a lot of extra noise. I regret having spent all that $$.
the helper (or tender) springs arent there for helping with stiffness. their function is to take up space when the shock extends and releases pressure on the coil. so using a shorter coil (180mm vs 200) allows the main coil to fall loose when going over a bump causing the clunk you hear. reinstall the tenders and you have a better feel and sound
Old 02-27-2018 | 10:39 AM
Evolution
Pro

Ohlins DFV install happens this week. For posterity and future reference - my initial test specs:
  • Ride Height, as measured from ground to fender/quarter (knowing there are other ways to measure) - 25.25" Front / 25.75' Rear
  • Dampening - 10 Front / 10 Rear
  • Alignment - OEM GT2
My intended use:
  • street only; mainly local back roads
  • sometimes bumpy/potholes
  • Somewhat aggressive to aggressive
  • Highway to gym during the week and beach on summer weekends (160 miles rd trip).
Basically, well-rounded mixed-use in the Northeast US. Going for a more aggressive street setup that best accommodates all the above without significant compromise in either direction, certainly will test & learn and adjust as necessary

Will update once they've been on for a bit and whether adjustments become necessary and why. For those who also recently ordered, would be interesting to add your approach to compare notes!

-Joe

Last edited by Evolution; 02-27-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-28-2018 | 09:35 PM
xmaciek82x
Racer

Do any of the Ohlins users have the extended adjuster for the rear shocks? Are they worth it getting especially if the OEM sub-woofer is installed? Thanks
Old 03-01-2018 | 09:37 AM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
Do any of the Ohlins users have the extended adjuster for the rear shocks? Are they worth it getting especially if the OEM sub-woofer is installed? Thanks
does ohlins have their own? I've only seen 3rd parties who have made them
Old 03-01-2018 | 10:05 AM
Evolution
Pro

I ordered the parts for the Bose extension, but admittedly don't really know what they are. I figured at this point I'd (a) subscribe to Ohlins's guidance on the install and (b) just do it correctly even if it isn't 100% necessary (is it?):

Old 03-01-2018 | 11:55 AM
xmaciek82x
Racer

Originally Posted by soon2be993TT
does ohlins have their own? I've only seen 3rd parties who have made them
Yes. I got these part numbers from Ohlin which look to be the same what Evolution posts below.
24631-01 (x2)
24632-02 (x2)
24633-01 (x2)
24633-02 (x2)

Originally Posted by Evolution
I ordered the parts for the Bose extension, but admittedly don't really know what they are. I figured at this point I'd (a) subscribe to Ohlins's guidance on the install and (b) just do it correctly even if it isn't 100% necessary (is it?):

Where did you buy them? How much they cost you? When you install your ohlins, you won't be able to easily adjust the damping in the rear because of the Bose shelf. Every time you want to change damping in rear, you will need to remove the rear shelf.
Old 03-01-2018 | 12:09 PM
Evolution
Pro

Yes. I got these part numbers from Ohlin which look to be the same what Evolution posts below.
24631-01 (x2)
24632-02 (x2)
24633-01 (x2)
24633-02 (x2)

Where did you buy them? How much they cost you? When you install your ohlins, you won't be able to easily adjust the damping in the rear because of the Bose shelf. Every time you want to change damping in rear, you will need to remove the rear shelf.
I got them from Ben at Performance Shock in Sonoma - cannot recommend them enough, incredible Customer Service and definite enthusiasts. Was around $115 shipped for those parts. Regarding the rear install on cars with Bose, I'm working with my tech to think about a creative solution for more accessible adjustment (the "design imperative" being to ensure the parcel shelf is unmistakably unmodified visually); I'll be sure to update if we come up with a good solution for that.

-Joe
Old 03-01-2018 | 12:23 PM
xmaciek82x
Racer

Originally Posted by Evolution
I got them from Ben at Performance Shock in Sonoma - cannot recommend them enough, incredible Customer Service and definite enthusiasts. Was around $115 shipped for those parts. Regarding the rear install on cars with Bose, I'm working with my tech to think about a creative solution for more accessible adjustment (the "design imperative" being to ensure the parcel shelf is unmistakably unmodified visually); I'll be sure to update if we come up with a good solution for that.

-Joe
Thanks Joe, I'll contact Performance Shocks and order a set.

I'm slightly confused by this statement: "I'm working with my tech to think about a creative solution for more accessible adjustment", don't the extender parts you bought solve the issue? They just stick past the bose shelf. I actually never seem them installed on a 996tt, but I'm assuming that's all there is to them.
Old 03-01-2018 | 12:35 PM
Evolution
Pro

24631-01 (x2)
24632-02 (x2)
24633-01 (x2)
24633-02 (x2)

Thanks Joe, I'll contact Performance Shocks and order a set.

I'm slightly confused by this statement: "I'm working with my tech to think about a creative solution for more accessible adjustment", don't the extender parts you bought solve the issue? They just stick past the bose shelf. I actually never seem them installed on a 996tt, but I'm assuming that's all there is to them.
My pleasure re: Performance Shock.

With regard to the Bose issue - I'm actually not 100% clear on what those parts actually are, so you may be right (it WOULD make sense, especially after actually reading the part descriptions in the attachment I posted). For some reason I assumed they were rerouting Bose wiring to accommodate the damper install, but an actual solution for adjustment would make more sense - and certainly would be an expectation given the renowned quality of Ohlins solutions. I think the lack of pictures of the actual install are creating confusion. When the parts come in, we'll know. If they are indeed extensions for the damper adjustment, then my statement would be confusing because it would be irrelevant!

-Joe

Quick Reply: Opinions on Suspension - Ohlins, PSS10 or Bilstein Shocks