Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of clutch pedal pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:25 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

My slave and master cylinder are leaking so I will be getting new ones if those tomorrow.
That will be expensive...

My guess is that the failure is due to incomplete flushing of Pentosin when the GT2 conversion was done years ago... Pentosin is pretty destructive to the seals in the gt2 slave. They might have flushed enough that the deterioration was slowed down considerably, but the fluid was perhaps still contaminated seals still eventually failed. The slave should last far longer than five years...

I've been told to flush as much as a GALLON of cheap dot 4 brake fluid through the system after doing the conversion before doing a final fill with your final dot 4 hydraulic fluid of choice.

Is the shop that did the GT2 swap the same shop that is now replacing the Master/Slave?
Old 08-22-2017, 07:29 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Rvca3112
Oh I did check the reservoir. I was debating on adding fluid to it just to get the car spun around so it could be towed. I was able to get enough pressure to get reverse and first gear accessible. I was just reporting what the tech found with the car.
Ah. I was looking back through the thread and noticed that no one recommended checking the reservoir.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:19 AM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
That will be expensive...

My guess is that the failure is due to incomplete flushing of Pentosin when the GT2 conversion was done years ago... Pentosin is pretty destructive to the seals in the gt2 slave. They might have flushed enough that the deterioration was slowed down considerably, but the fluid was perhaps still contaminated seals still eventually failed. The slave should last far longer than five years...

I've been told to flush as much as a GALLON of cheap dot 4 brake fluid through the system after doing the conversion before doing a final fill with your final dot 4 hydraulic fluid of choice.

Is the shop that did the GT2 swap the same shop that is now replacing the Master/Slave?
No I purchased the car with it from someone in Oklahoma City. Still waiting to find out the whole story on this situation.

Quick Reply: Loss of clutch pedal pressure?