Vinyl Wrap Resale

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 03:54 PM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Berra
Thanks!

I paid 2.5k euros, am in Sweden. More than that and it gets way too expensive. Some do however wrap the entire car, even door jams etc and that takes time and effort as lots of parts need to be taken off the car, so the price will go up a lot for that alone.
the price I have, max 2k for a normal car, then 4k for exotics. Will ask them what is included for that price, might be as you say, the full monty. Like the idea of putting a wrap on to protect the paint, and have an unusual colour like yours, then take it off when I feel like it.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:04 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by biglicks
the price I have, max 2k for a normal car, then 4k for exotics. Will ask them what is included for that price, might be as you say, the full monty. Like the idea of putting a wrap on to protect the paint, and have an unusual colour like yours, then take it off when I feel like it.
Just make sure that it's a good place with a good rep. There are horror stories out there about cars getting cut. You usually get what you pay for.

I can see why exotics and more expensive cars cost more as they usually are harder to work on. Many edges, vents and angles make it a tougher job, normal cars are quite simple in comparison.

It's fun, you can transform your car into anything you want or any color you want without having to repaint it. Only thing I dislike about wraps is that you can see that it's a wrap, lot of orange peel.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:45 PM
Nzo
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Out of curiosity why would you guys reject even considering a wrapped car? Would you feel the same way about a car with a full clear bra?
Old 08-13-2017, 06:30 PM
Berra
Pro

Originally Posted by Nzo
Out of curiosity why would you guys reject even considering a wrapped car? Would you feel the same way about a car with a full clear bra?
I guess they mean that you won't be able to see the condition of the car and it's paint if it's wrapped.

I wouldn't pass, but I would ask the seller to get rid of the wrap. Top tip is that if someone wants to list their car, just make sure to take the wrap off before doing so.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:52 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

I also pass on all wrapped cars... too hard to judge the condition of what's underneath.

Also, cut lines can be a problem on wrapped cars... Every single installer claims they would never leave cut lines, but somehow I see cut lines on many cars, even some done by top installers.

If it's your forever car, go ahead and wrap it. If you change your mind and decide you want to sell it, remove the wrap and have a full detail/correction done on the paint before trying to market it, and hope they don't find cuts in your clear coat!
Old 08-13-2017, 09:02 PM
Berra
Pro

Originally Posted by pfbz
I also pass on all wrapped cars... too hard to judge the condition of what's underneath.

Also, cut lines can be a problem on wrapped cars... Every single installer claims they would never leave cut lines, but somehow I see cut lines on many cars, even some done by top installers.

If it's your forever car, go ahead and wrap it. If you change your mind and decide you want to sell it, remove the wrap and have a full detail/correction done on the paint before trying to market it, and hope you don't find cuts in your clear coat!
If the car has been detailed before putting the wrap on, no work is needed when it's taken off.
If you do find cuts than that's not a top installer, that's amature work.

Real professionals use finish line, also called "knife less" tape when they don't wanna cut on the car.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:36 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Like I said, *every* installer says they are a pro and would never leave cut lines...

But very few actually use knifeless tape, and almost none use it on every cut. They claim they have the 'touch' and don't need it. And cuts result.

And again, I've personally seen wrap removed that was installed by guys with sterling reputations. Look closely enough and guess what you will find?
Old 08-13-2017, 09:58 PM
Berra
Pro

Like I said, *every* installer says they are a pro and would never leave cut lines...

But very few actually use knifeless tape, and almost none use it on every cut. They claim they have the 'touch' and don't need it. And cuts result.

And again, I've personally seen wrap removed that was installed by guys with sterling reputations. Look closely enough and guess what you will find?
I don't listen to people claiming to have the "touch", I wanna see the work and got to when I had my car done. I also got to see cars getting the wrap off, didn't see anything under the wrap other than a fresh protected paint.

There are stories about clear coat getting damaged etc when taking wraps off but that's also user error. Usually repainted cars suffer way more from this than factory paint.

I wish I could show you my car, I'd give you the keys to it if you could find any cuts
Old 08-14-2017, 12:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

I would have to echo what most have said in this thread. I wouldn't even consider a wrapped car. I've seen some nicely done wraps, and some bad ones too. They are expensive to do correctly especially when you get into the door jams and under the hood area.

The biggest concern is what is underneath the wrap. You can remove it, but that would have to be done by the seller before I looked at it. Who knows what is hidden underneath. Paint quality is more important to some than others though, so it may not be a big deal to some potential buyers.. but I think that is a small pool. I wouldn't do a wrap with the intentions to sell in the near future, you will never get your investment out of it. The only kind of full vehicle wrap I would consider is something like clear xpel or suntek where I can still see what the paint looks like underneath. IMO that would be the type of wrap that would add value.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:22 PM
Gt3stig
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

clear coat coming up with the wrap.
*the corners of the hood at the windshield
*above the tail lights
*three inch round section of pulled off clear coat above the door handle.

This car had to go to the paint shop.
all this anguish because he wanted a stupid wrap.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:05 AM
Ooutdoorfunguy85
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wrapped mine with the help of professional. Why don't you try Gatorwraps, they wrap all kinds of crazy things and lettering decals.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:55 AM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Just curious: for those of you who would reject a car out of hand for a wrap, would you do the same for a car painted in a different color than original?

I'm still considering making a color change from black, and the wrap prices I've gotten center in the $3-4K range for standard vinyl, to just under $9K for OEM paint color match wrap (which would let me go to Zanzibar Red or Nogaro Blue).
Old 01-26-2018, 11:00 AM
Berra
Pro

Make sure you have professionals do the job and go with the wrap.

If you then wanna sell the car, make sure to take the wrap off as it's not possible to see the condition of the paint, obviously.

This is exactly the same thing as stock vs modified, to each their own.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:20 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by techweenie
Just curious: for those of you who would reject a car out of hand for a wrap, would you do the same for a car painted in a different color than original?

I'm still considering making a color change from black, and the wrap prices I've gotten center in the $3-4K range for standard vinyl, to just under $9K for OEM paint color match wrap (which would let me go to Zanzibar Red or Nogaro Blue).
I wouldn't 'reject' a repainted car, but I would certainly adjust the value downwards even more than a wrap... And significantly if it wasn't 1) a flawless repaint, 2) well documented as to ensure it was repainted just for color choice and not covering body repairs.

Nice, unmolested cars are definitely bringing great prices these days... Seems like you would be better off paying a big premium for one of the 'prestige' priced turbos that pop up, hopefully in a color you really like, save the $9K+ color change and sell your car. Even if your car plus the repaint doesn't equal the price of some rare color turbo, the premier car will retain value and the value will likely go up, while the changes in your car would make the value go down.

Unless of course you just want what you want and either don't care about resale or plan on keeping it forever, in which case change your current cars color to whatever makes you happy!
Old 01-26-2018, 04:22 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It really comes down to a question of availability. There are plenty of cars out there to be picky. Now as the glory days of cheap 996tt is closing and fewer cars to pick from the repainted/vinyl cars will be considered more. Just look at what happened to the last model Supra. You can find stock, but they are big bucks. Meanwhile all the other supras have been modded to death and buyers who really want one learn to take that in stride.

Quick Reply: Vinyl Wrap Resale