Sponsored by:

Vinyl Wrap Resale

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 10:20 AM
joehonee
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vinyl Wrap Resale

I have been thinking about the color of my 03 Turbo X50 Aero recently. The car is black but I would have preferred Guards Red. Seems like it is a very sought after color but most of the red cars come with tan interior. IMO the red with black interior would be a fantastic combo. The red deviated stitching would really pull it all together.

Although I would never consider re-spraying the car I was watching some videos and was amazed at how nice the full vinyl wraps look. Does anyone have any experience with wraps? Would be curious with quality, price, durability, appearance, etc....

My long term plans at this point are unknown and there is a good chance I put it on the market in the next 6-12 months. Obviously I would not want to do anything that would hurt the overall value of the car.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I did my car spring 2016. My main reason was to protect the paint, even though the vinyl wrap isn't as tough as the clear bra, it's strong enough and does protect. I have now found a place that does full clear bra so mine will
come off next year but I've been very happy with it.

Ferrari F12 in the pic is also wrapped! I'm in Europe so can't answer on pricing.

You can polish and do almost everything as you do with normal paint. I find it very easy to wash the car with the wrap, and I don't have to worry about scratching the paint.
Attached Images      
Old 08-13-2017, 10:34 AM
joehonee
Advanced

Very sharp. I was a bit worried about the jambs, hoods, etc.. but with a black base it does not look bad at all.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:29 PM
wolfgang1
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

I love the idea of a wrap. Never done it myself, but strongly considered it before painting my 993 project viper green years ago. Ended up painting it.. wish I still had the car (http://photos.adventworks.net/larry-porsche-911)

Anyways... if it were me, I would only consider a wrap if I were going to keep the car.

If you're going to sell it soon, I'd leave it the way it is... mainly because as a buyer of your car, I'd really like to see the underlying paint to ensure it is good. Even if you take great pictures and videos before the wrap goes on... a buyer will always have some questions - and rightfully so
Old 08-13-2017, 12:43 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

It's just one data point and I may be a minority but I'd immediately reject any car with a wrap.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:33 PM
Berra
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan A
It's just one data point and I may be a minority but I'd immediately reject any car with a wrap.
No big deal, just take it off.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:45 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

I'm not a fan of wrapping.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Berra
No big deal, just take it off.
You missed my point.
I wouldn't even go look at a car with a wrap. I'd dismiss it from consideration immediately.

Like I said it's one data point and ymmv.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:54 PM
Berra
Pro

You missed my point.
I wouldn't even go look at a car with a wrap. I'd dismiss it from consideration immediately.

Like I said it's one data point and ymmv.
I wouldn't either, so I got your point.

Some people do however miss out on a lot of great cars just because of a wrap. Most people that sell their cars usually take it off before listing it. If they won't than good luck. It's actually confusing that some people list their wrapped cars. I know I wouldn't!

I'm no big fan of wraps either, did my car mainly for protection but I'll go for a full clear bra next year.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:55 PM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Berra, loving the wrap and colour. As I'm in Europe can you share pricing? Being in Switzerland, the prices here are hefty. Seen prices in France for 4k euro, not sure if that's good or bad.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:17 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

something to consider. i had a 996 turbo in matte orange lambo color wrap. the car was easily smudged with any kind of oil. grease on your hands gets on the wrap and doesnt come off. completely ruined the look of the car
Old 08-13-2017, 03:31 PM
joehonee
Advanced

Do you think the smudge issue is more problematic with matte finishes. I know it is with paint.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:32 PM
Berra
Pro

Originally Posted by biglicks
Berra, loving the wrap and colour. As I'm in Europe can you share pricing? Being in Switzerland, the prices here are hefty. Seen prices in France for 4k euro, not sure if that's good or bad.
Thanks!

I paid 2.5k euros, am in Sweden. More than that and it gets way too expensive. Some do however wrap the entire car, even door jams etc and that takes time and effort as lots of parts need to be taken off the car, so the price will go up a lot for that alone.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:35 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A well done wrap is pricey, but I'd pass on a wrapped car as well.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:36 PM
Berra
Pro

Originally Posted by joehonee
Do you think the smudge issue is more problematic with matte finishes. I know it is with paint.
Matt finish wraps look and feel better IMO. They look more factory than regular wraps, if that makes sense. You can polish normal wraps though.

Quick Reply: Vinyl Wrap Resale