Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Decline, Pics of tranmission!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 09:12 AM
chasedrive
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty Decline, Pics of tranmission!

Here are some pics of the transmision. Note the wear on the fork, and the hot spot on the syn. The Porsche manual for abuse states molybdenum layer worn, not a hot spot.
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2003, 09:13 AM
chasedrive
Intermediate

Default Fork Pic

This seems strange!
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2003, 09:14 AM
chasedrive
Intermediate

Default pic

Pic
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2003, 09:15 AM
chasedrive
Intermediate

Default Manual for abuse gidelines (by Porsche)

Pic
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2003, 10:39 AM
Bentley
Banned

The photographs depict areas worn typically due to the build up of excessive pressures. The Molybdenum which protects, acts as a lubricant, and also provides a thermal barrier to those forces is patently eroded. The kinetic energy which has been applied to those parts has superseded the ability of the material to protect itself. One could reasonably assume that Porsche Engineers would have strong component parts for the estimated forces to be applied. In this case someone exceeded those limits.
Nevertheless, it is hoped that Porsche would replace the unit at its expense in this case with perhaps, the labor charges being assumed by the vehicle owner.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:30 AM
chasedrive
Intermediate

Default Dealership stated

I am not a bad driver, just not a good driver. I can shift fine from 1 to 2, but not into third. They are stating my clutch is not always in. They also told me that this is the first time they have seen this. Hard to believe that I have owned 6 porsches, and the worst shifter in st. louis. The service manager is trying to do everything he can do to help. The rep is also being nice, but no final decision yet!
chasedrive
Old 11-26-2003, 05:01 PM
Scott5
Instructor

To don't want to be rude - but what do you mean - you can't shift into third? You're aware that you are repeatedly grinding metal?

If so, I'd suggest working to remedy that case and improve your skill no matter who pays for the current damage...

It's unlikely that modern Porsche's are going to get stronger syncros, etc...
Old 11-26-2003, 05:29 PM
chasedrive
Intermediate

Default oops

I was in a rush, The dealership stated " I can't shift into third "
Old 11-26-2003, 08:04 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Bently- can you clarify if the "excessive force" was upshift or downshift related. I think the "torque in 3rd gear" assertion is based on how hard it is to get sustained full boost in 1st or 2nd. But, I'm confused how sustained full boost could damage a trans that's in gear. The problem seems to require an act of gear change which is generally a low-torque event. Unless somebody tried a pedal-to-the floor upshift and missed, or a poorly-considered 6-3 or 4-3 downshift. Does the evidence suggest which? Or, are repeated incomplete clutch-disengagements the more likely etiology? The worn synchro teeth certainly suggest the box got "zinged" by one really bad shift, or a bunch of pretty bad ones. AS
Old 11-27-2003, 12:04 AM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe there is a problem with the clutch causing it to not fully release.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:30 AM
Chris Y.
Racer

Chase...

Try doing a search on "transmission problem" under the 996TT forums. Sorry, I would copy the link, but I couldn't. There are a couple of guys who had the same problem and had their synchros replaced.

I hope you get it resolved promptly!
Old 11-27-2003, 08:47 AM
Bentley
Banned

Dear Alexander:

You are correct in assuming that the effects may come from changing gears. Typically the evidence of damage, as shown in the photographs, come from 'power shifting' from one gear to TWO gears below it [while higher R.P.M.'s are being induced]. One can also acheive a somewhat similar effect by attempting to upshift the transmission TWO gears higher [while the engine is being revved]. This type of occurence would be fairly common with tyros going through the gears for example in races such as 'The Grand Prix Of Monaco'. The many upshifts and downshifts, while driving up and down the streets, INCORRECTLY performed, causes the problem.
The typical cure for the aforementioned problem is to develop good shifting skills through repetitive actions while NOT high revving the engine.
Since the gentleman who has the problem did not acquire the vehicle new, from what I understand, most likely the former owner or an acquaintance of the former owner acted to the transmission's detriment.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:34 PM
chasedrive
Intermediate

Default Thanks for all the Help!

Porsche is still reviewing with the dealership, they should have a answer by Monday. I am going to very unhappy if the claim is declined, but both the dealership and porsche have been great with communications on the efforts. Crossing fingers for monday!
Chasedrive

Quick Reply: Warranty Decline, Pics of tranmission!