Sponsored by:

Newbie-Advice needed asap on 2004 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 03:36 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
The good news if you like silver is that it's one of the most common colors. Agreed that a non-X50 silver car is unlikely to be worth $60k+ right now.

Is everyone in agreement that prices are going UP though?
I want to "take my time" but just don't want to wait too long and lose out.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:37 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HotlegsPorsche
Originally Posted by manimal
Keep an eye on the "Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds" and "Prestige" threads in this forum, and also on the RL classifieds.

Awesome!! Thank you both!!
Old 08-08-2017, 03:56 PM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

This car is on BAT now - he was asking 51k obo so you know his reserve is lower than that which I think is a good deal
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ort-seats.html
Old 08-08-2017, 04:17 PM
hybridporky
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I think there are a variety of factors here that make this car a worthy contender. 23K mileage cars don't come out THAT often. Before i picked up my 996, i really wanted something under 30K, and over the 3-4 months that i waited, only 2 made themselves available.

Not a big fan of the GIAC tune personally. Any further info on what wheels are on the car? If they are 19", you might want to get them balanced to see if they are straight and true. I test drove one with 19's and they wobbled really badly - from the NE roads. Don't own a Tubi Exhaust, but definitely a decent costly part new. I like the b&m shifter too, although there are some conflicting info on it. (Have that on my car). I also searched the forums for more info on the 2nd gear pop out, and this is SUPPOSEDLY fixed from the factory for cars 2002 and up. Being a 2004, you should be safe.

Hydraulics are easily replaced with the e-kit, it is a lot more reliable. Else you could do a fix wing mount too, if you don't mind having the wing up at all times.

The idea of a silver on grey car isn't something that i would grab at on impulse. But it really all depends on how you feel when you see the car. As many said, there are a bunch of 996 TT for you to choose from. But once you set your criterias (IE: 6 Speed, Purchase Radius, Mileage) that number will drop drastically.

Cars with about 20-30K Miles are IMO the best ones to purchase. Simply because the mileage is not too low, that you have to worry about issues that result from a car that has been sitting too long (Trust me an under 10K mile car can give you MORE problems than a well maintained 100K mile car), but yet you have the ability to drive the car more, and not have to worry too much about putting more miles on it (IE if i had a 75K mile car, i would be very concern about getting too close to 100K).

These are just my 2 cents. Some may agree, others may not. But at the very end, its how you feel when you get in and drive it around.

All the best with your search!

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Good afternoon folks. New member here. (David - 45 - police officer - Life long "Car and Motorcycle Guy" )
I should have started this sooner but I just learned about this Forum after my recent interest in and soon to be purchased 996 Turbo. I know most folks hate noobs with questions but I'm on a time crunch, as I've found a car and REALLY want to make the right call on it. Going to look at it Wednesday.

I started out looking at a 2003 C4S with only 23K miles on it and in perfect condition, but started researching and found out about all the IMS/RMS, bore scoring, etc. issues.

I'm a power junky and always have been. I've wanted a 911 Turbo since I can remember. I found out the 996 Turbos have a better engine with less issues.

I've found a 2004 996 Turbo, 34K miles, Looks absolutely perfect in pics. Has a GIAC tune, Exhaust, and different wheels (nice looking). I'm going to look at it tomorrow and look for advice on what to look at and for, PRIOR to paying the $185 for the local Porsche dealer to do a PPI.

Asking price (and they same it's firm) is almost $62K. Car is Silver, has grey interior, 6 Spd. manual, Nav., B&M shift, TUBI Exhaust, GIAC tune....Like said, the claim is that the car is almost perfect inside / out.

I know about 2nd gear pop out. They claim it's good. I do NOT however know about what it'll cost to fix if it ever does. Any info shared would be appreciated.

I know about wing hydraulics failures...They say this one works. If it ever doesn't, what are the options to fix?? Cost??

WHAT OTHER THINGS DO THESE CARS HAVE AS KNOWN PROBLEMS?? Please share any knowledge here if you can please. I need to learn on a FAST curve here.

Thank you for your time and advice in advance. I got on this Porsche kick kinda fast when I actually considering buying one. My luck, I found Exactly what I wanted very quickly, prior to doing research and learning, so I'm looking to you fine folks for help.

David

EDIT: Might as well post the link. Hope I don't lose it to anyone, but so be it if I do. Sounds like I should keep looking anyway. Or make Lower offer on this one for sure.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911
Old 08-08-2017, 04:29 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jferrante
This car is on BAT now - he was asking 51k obo so you know his reserve is lower than that which I think is a good deal
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ort-seats.html
Very Nice car!!! Too bad it's Red and in California!

Originally Posted by hybridporky
I think there are a variety of factors here that make this car a worthy contender. 23K mileage cars don't come out THAT often. Before i picked up my 996, i really wanted something under 30K, and over the 3-4 months that i waited, only 2 made themselves available.

Not a big fan of the GIAC tune personally. Any further info on what wheels are on the car? If they are 19", you might want to get them balanced to see if they are straight and true. I test drove one with 19's and they wobbled really badly - from the NE roads. Don't own a Tubi Exhaust, but definitely a decent costly part new. I like the b&m shifter too, although there are some conflicting info on it. (Have that on my car). I also searched the forums for more info on the 2nd gear pop out, and this is SUPPOSEDLY fixed from the factory for cars 2002 and up. Being a 2004, you should be safe.

Hydraulics are easily replaced with the e-kit, it is a lot more reliable. Else you could do a fix wing mount too, if you don't mind having the wing up at all times.

The idea of a silver on grey car isn't something that i would grab at on impulse. But it really all depends on how you feel when you see the car. As many said, there are a bunch of 996 TT for you to choose from. But once you set your criterias (IE: 6 Speed, Purchase Radius, Mileage) that number will drop drastically.

Cars with about 20-30K Miles are IMO the best ones to purchase. Simply because the mileage is not too low, that you have to worry about issues that result from a car that has been sitting too long (Trust me an under 10K mile car can give you MORE problems than a well maintained 100K mile car), but yet you have the ability to drive the car more, and not have to worry too much about putting more miles on it (IE if i had a 75K mile car, i would be very concern about getting too close to 100K).

These are just my 2 cents. Some may agree, others may not. But at the very end, its how you feel when you get in and drive it around.

All the best with your search!

For clarity... The 2004 turbo has just under 35K miles... It was the 2003 C4S I mentioned in my orig. post that had 23K miles.

Thank you for your post.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:50 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Road King
(vs. the supple which doesn't seem to look sporty or age well).
^This. Supple looks worn when brand new.

Additionally, the car's two-tone steering wheel/airbag isn't IMO a good look.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:35 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
^This. Supple looks worn when brand new.

Additionally, the car's two-tone steering wheel/airbag isn't IMO a good look.
Isn't it just a stock wheel wrapped in Alcantara?
Old 08-08-2017, 06:06 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Isn't it just a stock wheel wrapped in Alcantara?
I have no idea.

Referencing the picture, the grip and the airbag appear to be different shades of grey.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:31 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

$185 PPI is worth very little normally, worth less than zero at a P dealer. That's like 45 mins of labor.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:40 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I know its hard, but take your time, you will thank yourself later. The only way I would be tripping over myself is if it was a RUF in some insane PTS color that was unobtanium. I had the same thing happen to me. I found what I thought was the perfect car in Chicago, called the dealer and basically told them I wanted it contingent on a good PPI
​​​. They agreed, and I thought I had an awesome Black with savannah beige 996 TT. However the sales person called back in about an hour or two with what I though was going to be paperwork, ended up being that someone literally bought the car from another sales person onsite unbeknownst to my sales person (or so the story went). I was obviously crushed. The next car I found was an all records, low mile two owner 04 with everything I wanted that was local. Lets just say that 04 has been changing the way I enjoy cars for the last 5 years! Believe me its worth the wait...too many good examples still left to rush it.

just my .02. Enjoy the process!
Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,525 Likes on 1,595 Posts

This thread contains everything you need to know about inspecting a TT.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...-a-996-tt.html
Old 08-08-2017, 09:33 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
$185 PPI is worth very little normally, worth less than zero at a P dealer. That's like 45 mins of labor.
They said it would take 2 hours.

Here is part of the email I got from the dealer that has the car after I asked them to look into a few things for me.

Here is a little info that i could find.

The only records of previous owners i could find were via car fax and what on some of the paperwork left with the car.
This car actually has 4 previous owners, i of which was only 2 months. The first owner was in New Jersey for 1 year and 6 months. 2nd owner was in New Jersey for 6 months, 3rd owner was in Florida, and the last was in Ohio.
I know what your thinking about the car coming from up north for a period of its life. But keep in mind that a car like this especially with the way this car has been maintained probably has some sort of undercoating, and also this car up north only got driven during the spring summer and fall months.

This car is immaculate! Absolutely gorgeous inside and out, underneath etc..

We have not done a Porsche PPI simply because there hasn't been a need for one yet. We have a Porsche master tech that checked this car out with a fine toothed comb, and he loved this car. No problems at all whatsoever and it would truly make an awesome example of a 911 for you.

We did purchase this car from an auction, however my owner is VERY picky when it comes to buying cars and when we receive them and they are not the way they are supposed to be he will send them back.

And as far as mods and documentation... this car has everything. There's a 3 ringed binder with crazy documentation, there is records and receipts of everything all the way down to every time tires were put on. We have a special pouch that includes tune info, and upgrade info as well.

Originally Posted by Mtrboatvr6
I know its hard, but take your time, you will thank yourself later. The only way I would be tripping over myself is if it was a RUF in some insane PTS color that was unobtanium. I had the same thing happen to me. I found what I thought was the perfect car in Chicago, called the dealer and basically told them I wanted it contingent on a good PPI
​​​. They agreed, and I thought I had an awesome Black with savannah beige 996 TT. However the sales person called back in about an hour or two with what I though was going to be paperwork, ended up being that someone literally bought the car from another sales person onsite unbeknownst to my sales person (or so the story went). I was obviously crushed. The next car I found was an all records, low mile two owner 04 with everything I wanted that was local. Lets just say that 04 has been changing the way I enjoy cars for the last 5 years! Believe me its worth the wait...too many good examples still left to rush it.

just my .02. Enjoy the process!
Thank you Sir. You know what I'm feeling. That " I might miss the perfect car" feeling. It's probably not smart to listen to that part of my brain. lol

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
This thread contains everything you need to know about inspecting a TT.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...-a-996-tt.html

I'll have a look. Thank you!!
Old 08-08-2017, 09:49 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

@ having 60k at your disposal you have a good decade to look worry free. These cars are on the uptick but the seller on that car is hitting the bong.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:01 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Atrox
@ having 60k at your disposal you have a good decade to look worry free. These cars are on the uptick but the seller on that car is hitting the bong.
Def. not at my disposal. I'm putting a portion down but having to finance the rest. I'm a working class "car guy" just willing to finance a toy.

Reading about these cars and potential problem areas that will need attention, has me a little worried. I better learn how to wrench a good bit myself on these.

I agree that $61,900 is a bit high. I would like to see it for around mid 50's.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:30 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Prices trend down in the winter months by a few k. How long have you been looking? Took me a little over a year and believe me every car I saw was the "one". Take your time and get exactly what you want.

Quick Reply: Newbie-Advice needed asap on 2004 996TT