Sponsored by:

Zunsport Mesh Grilles Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:14 PM
hybridporky
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Zunsport Mesh Grilles Review

Recently had to spend an unexpected and very unnecessary $700 for a CSF front radiator + labor, when a small rock made a hole in my 26K miles stock radiator. My car came with grilles within the original front slats, but the rock still managed to make its way in.

Thanks to GMG, they managed to get the part over to me ASAP. That said, I knew something had to be done. I found many posts about the zunsport grilles but couldn't find proper reviews for our specific 996Turbos.

So I thought I post some pics and thoughts on them:
Bought these directly from zunsport UK, and they shipped the very next day. Shipping from the UK to US took only 3 days which was really fast IMO.
The package arrived pretty beaten up though. See attached pics. Zunsport did a good job by taping a wooden block to the back of the box, so that the grilles would not get out of shape.

I opened the package to find the grilles, seemingly in good shape. So I went ahead with the install.

Install didnt take take more than 30mins. But on first clip in, could see that the grilles were in fact a little bent. This resulted in me having to pull them out again (chipping a little of my clearbra) and having to bend them back to the contour of the bumper. Wasn't too difficult. But I would rate fitment at 95%.

In terms of looks, i am a little annoyed by the crash bar showing at the corners. Hopefully i can live with them, or get them painted black. Apart from that, i personally really like how it all came out. Makes the front look so much modern? / newer?

Zunsport gave me the following discount code which will grant a referral member 15% off their purchase. (i did not get this 15% off on my order) - 1006 34988

Front radiator damage. With only 26K miles. Granted car is of old age, but not many have to replace them this early.

Package handling from FedEx. Not great when these pieces bend.

Zunsport did their best to keep the shape of the box sturdy.

Left (stock) right (zunsport) - Notice how it sticks out at the corner.

First pass of the install, fitment before i removed and bent the grilles manually

Fitment check. Not flat throughout circumference of grille. But not really noticeable as the grilles are black on a dark colored car.

After a little tweaking. Got the right side to fit better.

Last edited by hybridporky; 07-20-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:40 AM
billygoat
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice. I noticed these are now available from Rennkit as well so they may be easier to source now.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:57 AM
RClurg84
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been looking at getting these also. Thank you for posting pictures of the install. I'm preferring zunsport over rennline bc I think rennline will have visible screws. Has anyone installed the rennkit set? If so, any pictures?
Old 07-21-2017, 02:20 AM
RClurg84
Instructor

[/QUOTE]

Is there no way to hide the actual bumper? The silver corner poking out in the picture.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:53 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RClurg84
I've been looking at getting these also. Thank you for posting pictures of the install. I'm preferring zunsport over rennline bc I think rennline will have visible screws. Has anyone installed the rennkit set? If so, any pictures?
I installed the rennline kit on both my 6TT and 6GT2. No visible screws after the install. Here are the photos you asked for. 1st the TT. Note the fit behind the existing "grill" so keep the factory look and the support rail covered.

6GT2

Old 07-21-2017, 08:16 AM
hybridporky
Instructor

I saw the rennline kit too, but i found even less info on them for our cars, so i passed. But after seeing the post from @biglicks. I am kinda torn. I really like the look of our cars without the front slats, just like the GT2 bumper. The rennline kit does require removing the front bumper for install though.

Originally Posted by biglicks
I installed the rennline kit on both my 6TT and 6GT2. No visible screws after the install. Here are the photos you asked for. 1st the TT. Note the fit behind the existing "grill" so keep the factory look and the support rail covered.

Thanks for the pictures biglicks! I really like the look for the GT2 bumper. With the bigger openings. Am actually quite glad i got rid of the front stock grille, driving the car to work this morning, i feel like it looks a lot better.

Is there no way to hide the actual bumper? The silver corner poking out in the picture.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately no, unless we spray paint it black...
Old 07-21-2017, 10:52 AM
RClurg84
Instructor

Thank you for the info. I do like the rennline kit since it still hides the bumpers. But I think I'll just do zunsport, pull the bumper cover off and paint the bumper, clean radiators, and find a good way to mount the passport sensors. Those will be my biggest problem. Any suggestions on where to place those. They were already installed by previous owner.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:57 AM
hybridporky
Instructor

Thank you for the info. I do like the rennline kit since it still hides the bumpers. But I think I'll just do zunsport, pull the bumper cover off and paint the bumper, clean radiators, and find a good way to mount the passport sensors. Those will be my biggest problem. Any suggestions on where to place those. They were already installed by previous owner.

I dont think you have to relocate the sensors. If you google Zunsport 997, there are alot more pictures, and i have seen some with the sensors right behind the mesh. Hence i doubt interference, if thats what you are concerned about.

Alternatively, i know that passport has new sensors that are a lot more discreet. If you are looking for an upgrade.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:58 AM
RClurg84
Instructor

I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:26 PM
hybridporky
Instructor

Out in direct sunlight. Crash bar really stands out.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:35 PM
RClurg84
Instructor

Originally Posted by hybridporky
Out in direct sunlight. Crash bar really stands out.
Time for some black paint or black plasti dip. Other than that I really like the look!
Old 07-21-2017, 04:17 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Speedtechs mesh grills, in my opinion looks better as the holes aren't that big, thus nothing can get through.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:36 PM
hybridporky
Instructor

Originally Posted by Berra
I have Speedtechs mesh grills, in my opinion looks better as the holes aren't that big, thus nothing can get through.
Any pictures of how they look?
Old 07-21-2017, 04:47 PM
RClurg84
Instructor

Originally Posted by hybridporky
Any pictures of how they look?
+1

Also found this https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...speedtech.html

But I would like to see an actual picture of someone who bought and installed. The last picture in the first post shows screw heads. Plus the website says $350.

Last edited by RClurg84; 07-21-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:14 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

simple spray paint on the crash bar would do the job fine, just make sure it's matt finish. Don't like the screw heads on the last picture either, makes it look very aftermarket.

For those considering the rennline grills and worried about removing the bumper, it really is straightforward, and not forgetting the whole idea of fitting these grills is to stop debris from entering the grills, you really ought to get in there and clean them anyway, which means bumper off.

Quick Reply: Zunsport Mesh Grilles Review