Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing 996 GT3 or 993

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 08:23 PM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 964/993 with some mods is a great experience, but the 6GT3 is intoxicating for the reasons stated in previous posts. The interior is simple and I don't mind it. I'd lean towards the GT3 as a weekend car based on that. Also, ride quality is subjective. I think there was someone on Rennlist with a 6GT3 as his only car (Guards Red) and sounded like he was doing well! Ride quality is pleasant here in Socal.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:51 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

"to drive on the weekend on long trips and spirited drives, and the very occasional DE day" per the OP.

You'd have to be nuts to choose a 996 GT3 over an earlier car for the above use in the Northeast. Seriously.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:07 AM
ryanjthorp
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys – thanks very much for your input. Matt & cgfen – you’re swinging it for me..
Old 07-12-2017, 10:30 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

As others mentioned 6GT3 is not that street friendly. You may consider at 84-88 911 Carrera and you will have extra money for other things
Old 07-12-2017, 11:24 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I agree that the 6gt3 is not very 'street friendly' and probably not the best car for errands. groceries, or for long trips from A to B. But for me it's perfect for the 1hr windows-down attacks on all of my senses on clear back-roads that I crave couple of times a week.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:11 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

Interesting cars to cross shop. They are neither similar in their performance or their price. To me it really depends what you see yourself doing with the vehicle. For cruises, back roads and the very occasional track day I would choose a 993.

A GT3 is a hardcore, precision tool that begs to be driven hard. It is also hard to get into any gt3 for less than $65k. A 993 can be driven fast, slow, around town, at the track and its the perfect size. Aircooled cars are so unique and special feeling in every day scenarios. You can also get one in solid driver condition for ~$45-50k.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:01 PM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Excerpt from Craig's thread...."The 996 GT3 is definitely NOT too extreme to be used as a DD. With the excellent "shock" / suspension calibration and the improved HVAC, it''s a better DD than the 993."

Maybe we agree on this point because the roads are decent in Socal (except parts of the 605 and 5). I have more fun on the street in the GT3 than the lightly modded 964. Take a 6GT3 for a spin and let us know what you decide.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:10 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 357 Posts

Man, I love my gt3 brethren, but I can't disagree more that the GT3 is not a great street car (although I do agree it would be a bit tedious as a DD, as would a 993 frankly). While it is true that the gt3 shines most on the track at track speeds and rpm's, that doesn't mean its not fun or comfortable on the street. Of course, those terms are super subjective, but at least for me, I find the gt3 super fun on the street and in no way whatsoever too harsh, loud, rough or uncomfortable.

The only real downside I see on the street is that this car, below 5k rpm, is really kind of like a regular 911. So, what that means is that if you are the type that never winds out the engine to the upper rev range, you might find the car a bit "pedestrian" on the street. I, on the other hand, get above 5k all the time (I stay away from redline but I'm addicted to the pull and wail in the 5.2k to 7.5k rpm range!). That is where this car is really, really special, more special "feeling" than any other car I have owned (by far, including my manual lambo, which is fun but lacks that truly special feeling you get taking the gt3 up past 5k). I vote 996 gt3, and as others have said, i predict its the next version to really increase in value based on purity, rarity, and fun (plus, it has nearly 100 more hp than a 993!).

I think people conflate "really, really shines on the track" with "its not a great street car." With this car, unless the 996 gt3 is super highly modified for the track, I don't think those two statements are mutually exclusive. I find it relatively compliant, fun to drive, and quick. The only real drawback is that it is at its best about 5k rpm, and in any gear above 2nd (or if you happen to be on a freeway on-ramp) that usually means you are committing a felony!
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (02-25-2023)
Old 07-12-2017, 09:01 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tough call.
Both are great cars to drive
Good luck with your search.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:03 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadsby

Jump on gt3 if it's for the long term! 993 if to enjoy tomorrow! Better yet get both!
Agreed on both!
Old 07-12-2017, 10:54 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanjthorp
Thanks very much all.

Currently in New York City, but planning a move out of the city, making this all possible.

Sounds like we have votes for SC, 964, 993 and 996 GT3!

I’d rather not go older than ’89 or '90, and the 964 seems like poor relative value with prices as high as they are.

Seems for the street I’d be frustrated with the GT3’s ride and keeping it reined in…perhaps that means the 993 is the one for my purposes.

I think Gadsby had the best solution: get both!
I have almost 120K street miles in a GT3.

Granted, they are in Florida and they are daily driven miles. In fact, it was my only car up until last Fall when we added a Cayenne.

I'm fine with the GT3 on the street with the following exceptions:

1. Not god in gridlocked traffic. The clutch will cramp your leg after a time. Car's fine, but the clutch is heavy, which is not normally an issue at all in normal driving.

2. Bad choice for pot hole-ridden streets. The tires are too low profile to protect the rims.

You can have that problem with any car with low profile tires. The GT3 suspension is not bad on the street, but I cut my teeth with Triumph TR-4s and the difference between the TR-4 suspension and welded shut struts is indistinguishable.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:23 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Man, I love my gt3 brethren, but I can't disagree more that the GT3 is not a great street car (although I do agree it would be a bit tedious as a DD, as would a 993 frankly). While it is true that the gt3 shines most on the track at track speeds and rpm's, that doesn't mean its not fun or comfortable on the street. Of course, those terms are super subjective, but at least for me, I find the gt3 super fun on the street and in no way whatsoever too harsh, loud, rough or uncomfortable.

The only real downside I see on the street is that this car, below 5k rpm, is really kind of like a regular 911. So, what that means is that if you are the type that never winds out the engine to the upper rev range, you might find the car a bit "pedestrian" on the street. I, on the other hand, get above 5k all the time (I stay away from redline but I'm addicted to the pull and wail in the 5.2k to 7.5k rpm range!). That is where this car is really, really special, more special "feeling" than any other car I have owned (by far, including my manual lambo, which is fun but lacks that truly special feeling you get taking the gt3 up past 5k). I vote 996 gt3, and as others have said, i predict its the next version to really increase in value based on purity, rarity, and fun (plus, it has nearly 100 more hp than a 993!).

I think people conflate "really, really shines on the track" with "its not a great street car." With this car, unless the 996 gt3 is super highly modified for the track, I don't think those two statements are mutually exclusive. I find it relatively compliant, fun to drive, and quick. The only real drawback is that it is at its best about 5k rpm, and in any gear above 2nd (or if you happen to be on a freeway on-ramp) that usually means you are committing a felony!
Sold my 6 a few years ago. Maybe a 2nd time like you I will truly appreciate it more on the street. If I get back into Porsche I'm really sold on the 6. Never missed a beat on track and so rewarding on track. Mike
Old 07-13-2017, 04:04 AM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Marv was the gentleman I was thinking of. 120k street miles! Nice.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:55 AM
spydersmiley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive both, a (rare) 996.1 GT3 Clubsport (with full cage) and a 993 targa. I had great fun when taking the GT3 to a trip trough the Swiss Alps about 4 weeks ago - while the ride is rough and unfiltered, you really feel connected to the road, the engine is a really treat, the howl when you rev it past 5000 RPM is nothing short of addictive - you need to get it time and time again. The 993 targa is much more refined; the ride is - compared to the GT3 - soft and accommodating. The engine sounds great, too, in particular if you a have a special exhaust (mine is from CarGraphic). The 993 targa could almost pass as a DD, if you don't care about the mileage. Best, Tobias
Attached Images     
Old 07-13-2017, 10:09 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Each 993 can be different depending on the suspension installed.

Both, is the best answer.

Quick Reply: Choosing 996 GT3 or 993