Sponsored by:

Choosing 996 GT3 or 993

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 11:58 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
964 : ). Gt3 is terrible on the road. Doesn't even sound good puttering at city speed like it's bored. Awesome track car though. Do like the 993 as far as looks go. Stock ratios on 993 is very long. The 964 has perfectly matched ratio for the power. Very agile and great feel. Mike
Completely agree, having owned 964 & GT3. I've hated the 993s I've driven because of their gearing.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:24 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Thinking of selling my 993...

I have had it since December of 1999. Now thinking about stepping up to a 6GT3. The 6GT3 bug has just bitten me so I am at the earliest stages. I know the ride can be a little rough on marginal toads and that the interior is sparse. But for the track, what a beast. I'll be looking for a 6GT3 that has a mild track set up, water pipes pinned, etc, factory, or DASsport bar...anything else will be a bonus.

My 97 Carrera's modifications in a nut shell:
1. Close ratio 3rd - 6th, all Porsche gears, & RS Clutch with LWF,
2. MCS suspension with H&R 700F/900R springs
3. Option 220, 4 channel ABS
4. Guard rebuilt LSD
5. New 60" Crawford wing from Jae Lee at Mirage International, on a 964 3.8 RS Getty Design tail base, 993 RS CS Factory side skirts, 993 RS CS one piece front splitters, aftermarket from Gert Carnewal.
Engine is bone stock with 87,XXX miles, puts out 257 HP to the rear wheels, 9% off the advertised 282, not too shabby.
6. Clean Car Fax, just ran it 7-12-13
7. Passed CA emissions, car currently licensed for the street.
8. Complete ERP rear suspension stuff, that would be everything ERP sells + Tarrett drop links front and rear as well as 993 RS anti-roll bars, front and rear,
9. GT2 front wheel carriers (Rare as hen's teeth these days)
10. ERP 993 GT2 front toe links
11. Three (3) sets of wheels, One (1) Fikse three piece, and two (2) sets of MY 2002 996 wheels,
12. Wide oval tips with stock exhaust, both cat and mufflers.
13. Interior intact with stock door panels, package shelf, have all stock interior parts, with the exception of the carpet and sound deadening. Have 993 RS carpets, no sound deadening. And of curse I have the stock seats.
14. Has the HiFi option but I don't turn the radio on.
15. Rebuilt steering rack.
16. Grand Prix White with a windows out total re-spray to freshen the car up, done in 2015, 3M material on the front end.
17. Heigo half cage
18. Rennsport removable steering wheel with horn button,
19. Auxiliary oil cooler in driver side front, GT2/Cargraphics style with manual override switch.
20. Now here is the deal clincher, Euro rear tail lights!
21. Aggressive alignment, -3.5 degrees front, -3.0 rear, by Jae Lee..he also checked/adjusted bump steer front and rear. This car does hunker down and handle.
22. About 2,925 Lbs with some fuel, and no driver. More weigh could come out but I didn't/don't want to strip the interior or remove the sun roof.
23. Retained Air conditioning, power windows, power steering and cruise control. Kept all these in the event I ever wanted to return the car to street stock. I have all the interior parts, the stock tail, so it could go back to stock.

Does it handle? Craig Stanton, Pro-Driver, recently drove it at Buttonwillow Raceway in CA, and at the conclusion of our 20 minutes on track told me that he recommends that I do only 2 things to this car, one or the other, or both, and that would be, "Wash it or Wax it." "Don't change a thing."

The car lives mostly in a trailer and is driven on the streets rarely, primarily a HPDE & TT car, driven with NASA and the Porsche Owners Club. I live at the end of a 2.5 mile dirt road, not the best place to drive a nice car. When I get the urge to drive her, I trailer her down to the nearby town, unload and drive the back roads. At the completion of the street exercise, it's back into the trailer, and to home base.

What will I want for it? In the $50's. More if I can get it, price not 100% firmed up. I hope I don't regret this...driving the same car for 17 years....oh Lawdy. Craig F. will talk me through this..probably have me base jump to calm my nerves. Next step, post this on the 993 Board and in the Classifieds, here and on the PCA Board. The though just hit me again, am I out of my mind? Let's hope not.
Attached Images  
Attached Images

Last edited by Martin S.; 07-13-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:10 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I have had it since December of 1999. Now thinking about stepping up to a 6GT3. The 6GT3 bug has just bitten me so I am at the earliest stages. I know the ride can be a little rough on marginal toads and that the interior is sparse. But for the track, what a beast. I'll be looking for a 6GT3 that has a mild track set up, water pipes pinned, etc, factory, or DASsport bar...anything else will be a bonus.
Hey Martin, good luck with the 6 GT3 search.
It is Very Cool that you are giving this group first dibs on the for sale advert.
I don't regret the 993 - 996 move and doubt that you will either once you find a good one.

Baby will make the next owner very happy.

Craig
Old 07-13-2017, 01:11 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

Great discussion so far! Great choices too...

I mentioned it in an earlier post, but I will reiterate that the build and materials used look and feel vastly different in quality. It's not a question of the 996 having a 'sparse' interior, it's that it was made of cheap materials. Same with feeling how the doors close, etc. etc. It's also Porsche's first 911-based foray into modern platform sharing, instrumentation and controls (where modern = 1999 in this case, for what it's worth).

Prior to that, the 911 remained VERY similar over the model years, back to the 70's in fact. This can be dated or charming, depending on your opinion. I think it's quirky, purposeful, and timeless. The gauges, the framed door windows, the shape of the doors, the fender flares, etc.

I love both the 993 and GT3 - you really need to have someone walk you through their cars to show you the differences in person. Then go for a ride and see what character you prefer. As someone mentioned above, the wail above 5K RPM is ELECTRIC in a GT3. On the street, you only get to enjoy that occasionally though - you'll be arrested in 3, 2, 1...

PS - love the pics of the many 993 guys and their yellow GT3's!

Old 07-13-2017, 01:13 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
Hey Martin, good luck with the 6GT3 search.
But what's with the for sale advert here? It is Very Cool that you are giving this group first dibs though. Baby will make the next owner very happy.
Craig
Thanks for the support Craig...still haven't put up an official Ad. but I have the need, the need for speed, and maybe 100 more HP
Old 07-13-2017, 04:50 PM
ryanjthorp
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Great discussion so far! Great choices too...

I love both the 993 and GT3 - you really need to have someone walk you through their cars to show you the differences in person. Then go for a ride and see what character you prefer.

Guys - so can I buy anyone in this part of the world a beer for showing me their 993 or 6GT3?
Old 07-13-2017, 11:55 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

Come on up to Montreal, I like beer!

Make a weekend out of it.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:52 AM
knorrena
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I also have both. Both are stock. Both are entirely different animals. The 993 is smooth and silky like wearing silk pjs. The gt3 is all business. Its like wearing a spikey leather thong. Both are a delight, it just depends on what you feel like wearing. When forced to hang the tail out the 993 will gracefully ease out and ease back under control whereas the gt3 eases out and bangs back under control.

If pressed into selling one of them I would sell the 993. The 993, while a fantastic car, is a car that I think about all the time, but he 6gt3 is the car I fantasize about. The 993 sounds better than the GT3 up to about 500 rpm, but with the gt3 the sound just keeps going. Honestly, you cant go wrong with either car. Each one will make you happy, but no matter which one you choose, you will find yourself wanting the other.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:03 AM
vtwin996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're looking for weekend car and may do some DEs, between the 2 I'd still get a GT3.

I used to have a 993 with refreshed KW suspension, Fister stage 3 mufflers and even tried it on track with 6 point harness. I loved the charm, smell, sound, instrument controls, shutting the door on aircolled car. Handling was tight supple for any road and fun on track. I found the engine uninspiring on the rev range and wished it had the 6 GT3 character.

I've had the GT3 for 9 years. The GT3 is raw, more mechanical, redlining the engine and the light front end feel and the way the rear tires rocket the car out of apexes. Feels more special to drive. The interior is full leather, simple. Quite frankly doesn't feels cheap versus the 993 and holding up nicely. I drove the car with my wife to to Barber, 11 hours in Euro seats. With the AC on cruising at 80, was like driving a regular car below 3k rpm. Drives after track were chill. Drive an old 911 and gt3 more refined I think. Sure on ****ty roads it's limiting but I find that rare.

Stepped away from track for while with other priorities but I still drive it on weekends. I would agree that the cars capabilities are well beyond street driving and best used on track. But you can still get after it on extended road trips, am jaunts. Driving it in any gridlock would suck. In know I would regret selling it. And for the money, nothing worth replacing it with.

Good luck.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:23 PM
drola
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 120 Posts

I own both a 964 (not stock) and a 6gt3. Also owned a 993 c4s. All great cars in their own right.
But, if i could only have one, hands down the 964.
The solidity and build quality of the 964 is incomparable against the gt3. The gearing is just right. The classic lines, interior, seating position, etc etc.
Best advice is to drive each model you are considering and see which fits your personality, needs and lifestyle best. But there really is no wrong choice.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:30 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
Hey Martin, good luck with the 6 GT3 search.
It is Very Cool that you are giving this group first dibs on the for sale advert.
I don't regret the 993 - 996 move and doubt that you will either once you find a good one.Baby will make the next owner very happy.Craig
Vicki has a gig in San Diego....sooner or later will will get back to Solana Beach. Really lusting after a 6GT3; have several to choose from. I am going to take Baby into the detail shop and get her all cleaned up for a picture spread I'll use in my classified ad.
Old 10-23-2022, 01:22 PM
ryanjthorp
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All - just by way of a long overdue update, I went with secret option number three: a 97 986 in zenith blue with 31k miles bought last year. I love the short gearing, lower torque / higher rev nature of the engine, and the way the lack of roof only makes it feel faster than it is. It is just perfect for the Westchester / Fairfield county back roads. It’s also old enough to still provide some mechanical connection to the car. Very happy with it and with all your input - thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Marv (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 10:56 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 750 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanjthorp
All - just by way of a long overdue update, I went with secret option number three: a 97 986 in zenith blue with 31k miles bought last year. I love the short gearing, lower torque / higher rev nature of the engine, and the way the lack of roof only makes it feel faster than it is. It is just perfect for the Westchester / Fairfield county back roads. It’s also old enough to still provide some mechanical connection to the car. Very happy with it and with all your input - thanks.

congrats! Gen 1 2.5l 986 boxsters are very overlooked and very charismatic to drive. High revving, great induction sound, nimble, and feel fun even at slower speeds. I had a 97 2.5 and also had a zenith 996 c2. Very awesome 993 color!
Old 10-26-2022, 02:54 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 980 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanjthorp
missed this thread to this point. i was going to reply until i saw the above. enjoy.

the 964/993/gt3 discussion is right in my wheel house and i love all 3 of them. no need for my thoughts at this point.

again, enjoy the new ride.

Quick Reply: Choosing 996 GT3 or 993