Sponsored by:

GT3RS brake ducts

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 04:28 PM
mds
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation GT3RS brake ducts

I purchased a pair of the GT3RS brake cooling ducts. These are the same physical part as used on the regular GT3 with the same part number stamped in the plastic, but part of the fin on the face of the duct has been cut away. See the photo below. It could be that this fin would otherwise interfere with the RS's suspension. In any case, I believe that this part is actually inferior cooling wise, as air that would otherwise be directed upward toward the brake is lost.
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2003, 05:40 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

mike,

i was under the GT3 looking at those front ducts while mike schatz installed my gt3 seats today. My gt3 ducts look bigger than i remember the ones on the gt2 to be. can you confirm that?
Old 11-15-2003, 06:20 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I believe this is because the caliper on the GT3RS sits much lower than on the GT3 and for that reason they modified the brake duct so the air doesn't go upwards.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:23 PM
mds
Pro

Gert, caliper may not be an issue. The part that is cut away is actually at the end furthest away from the caliper, as the picture below shows.

Something else is going on. I am going to be humble and retract my claim of inferiority. Airflow under the car is probably complex. It could be that the fin, which might otherwise work as you would expect in clean airflow, actually impedes cooling due to complex flow under the car.

So maybe the thing to do is to try a RS part on one side of the car and a regular part on the other, and check for any differences in pad wear rates or rotor temps.
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2003, 10:36 PM
mds
Pro

Originally posted by watt
mike,

i was under the GT3 looking at those front ducts while mike schatz installed my gt3 seats today. My gt3 ducts look bigger than i remember the ones on the gt2 to be. can you confirm that?
watt, I don't know. Maybe I will have a chance to compare them at Todd's event next month.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:20 PM
mds
Pro

Gert, I misread your post. Now I understand what you are talking about. I think you are correct. Sorry for the confusion.

Quick Reply: GT3RS brake ducts