Sponsored by:

GruppeM GT3 Ram Charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 09:36 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question GruppeM GT3 Ram Charger

Anyone have any thought's on performance advantages/disadvantages getting more cooler air into the engine. The Euro site specifies in general a 12 - 16 Hp gain. No specific info regarding the GT3 dyno/performance results on their site. I will be calling them just out of curiosity. Sure makes the engine compartment purty!!!!

http://www.gruppemna.com/products_order.php?prod_id=41

Last edited by rockitman; 09-19-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:41 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 533 Posts

$1600 for a fancy air cleaner? Ouch! Think I'd spend that money on another Skip Barber lapping day or two...
Old 11-05-2003, 12:18 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by skl
$1600 for a fancy air cleaner? Ouch! Think I'd spend that money on another Skip Barber lapping day or two...
I will do that too, probably in one of the May classes. I bet the throttle response will improve with all that free flowing air providing much better and controllable "Blipping" for the heel toe dance...

Old 11-05-2003, 12:43 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rockitman: A 12-16HP gain over the stock air filter sounds too good to be true as it's pretty damned unrestrictive. And I don't see anything in that CF airbox that indicates it'd have a ram air effect. The GT3RS rear decklid does provide extra airflow but I've not seen any reports on how much HP that gets you and it'd only be at high speed. I am however waiting for Gert to get pricing on the RS parts and that rear wing has grown on me.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:58 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

A couple things that make me suspicous about this.

First of all, the HP claim is outrageous. The SuperCup teams have found 4 HP in low speed corners by putting a heat shield around the cone air filter to prevent it from sucking hot engine air. At high speeds it doesn't do anything, because there is plenty of cool air flowing through the engine lid vents.

Also, the GT3 RS (street car) has little scoops in the engine cover to force more cold air into the engine compartment, however, PAG makes not claim of increase HP for that car.

Second, if you compare the surface area of that little blue cone filter to the surface area of the stock filter, which one do you think is larger? I'd say the stock air filter has a lot more surface area and therefore, should flow more air. I wouldn't be surprised if this thing actually decreases power.

Buyer beware on this thing, especially since it's outside of the US. See if they'll give you a money back guarantee if the thing doesn't show 12 HP improvement on a dyno.

Karl
Old 11-05-2003, 03:02 AM
twisted
Advanced

yea but what about the 'Bling Bling' factor of all that CF under the hood, that's got to be good for a least 5HP.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Mr. RS
Instructor

Porsche state that there is a power increase above 120MPH with the RS lid, this is caused by the ram air effect, but cannot be reproduced on a dyno. Well not unless you have a dyno in a wind tunnel!

I put a Cup air filter on my old GT3 and whilst it did not produce any more HP it sure sounded the Mutts Nutts and made the car into a "200MPH" street stormer! Well it sounded like it...

I would imagine that the 12HP increase would be very difficult to reproduce on a Dyno.

I agree with Karl S, having been caught out by claims of increased power from various upgrades, I will only use products where here is a before and after increase in performance proved on a dyno on my car.

Does look good though!

P.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:25 AM
LG1
Track Day

For my RS I think I will go for the Cup air filter, it's been used for very long and well tested I would say...I'm not expecting any hp gain, but hope for a hardening of the noise level...The only doubt I have is if the ram air effect of the little spoiler on the RS's rear wing will stop working with the Cup cone?
Give us feedback on this GruppeM system if you can, it does indeed look amazing...
Old 11-06-2003, 05:23 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

LG1,
I have spoken with GruppeM NA and have asked for performance documentation for this system...In short, Proof!!! They said they will get back to me next week. I will post whatever info I get. I too am weary about any real HP gains, but am optimistic regarding significantly enhanced throttle response and sound...

OT: What part of Italy are you from??? I lived in Firenze for a year back in the mid 70's. It's a "bella" country!!!

Ciao,
Old 11-06-2003, 06:02 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

LG1: I think I've read installing the GT3 Cup air filter isn't as simple as one might think as there's no provision for the MAF sensor on the Cup filter mount.

rockitman: I think you mean you're leery of HP claims. Or are you just getting tired of hearing about them? The work TPC did for KarlS's car seems to be the best documented improvment and Karl did mention better midrange throttle response.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:56 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Steve in FL

rockitman: I think you mean you're leery of HP claims. Or are you just getting tired of hearing about them? The work TPC did for KarlS's car seems to be the best documented improvment and Karl did mention better midrange throttle response.
Yes Steve, I mean leary... I would be interested to know what Karl had done regarding air flow to the motor and any other mod that I could obsess about

I remember reading that the cup style cone filter could be a disadvantage, since it would be getting most of it's air from inside the engine compartment, hence flowing hot air to the motor, which would degrade performance. It seems with this system, the air going in is isolated from the motor compartment heat since it's contained within the ram air system connected to the air ducts on the engine deck cover, like it is now with the stock configuration. I wonder if there are advantages to having the same cool air, but more accelerated and less turbulent as compared to the current system??? It seems plausible to me, but I guess the jury is still out and I don't have enough engine air flow dynamic's knowlege to make that judgement on my own, so I must rely on other's experiences coupled with valid engine performance data. I am not in it for the hp, as much as I am for throttle response time...not to mention the cool looks!!!
Old 11-07-2003, 06:54 AM
LG1
Track Day

I'm from Rome but actually live between Milano and Lugano(Switzerland), I know Firenze is bella, but Rome is molto bella...
I'm very curious about this GruppeM product, especially since Steve added that the Cup filter installation is not as easy as I thought...
Old 11-07-2003, 10:48 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You may want to consider a decklid and airbox from a GT3RS

The small airbox on the rear lid and the modification of the engine management results in an incresase in power of roughly 10-15 PS,this increase is however only noticable in speeds over 200km/h.

The "increase" in power isn't actually a real increase.
The air collector located under the rear wing uses pressure build-up there to supply extra intake air to the engine at high speeds, so that the engine reaches its maximum power output more easy and therefore earlier.
So you get at certain rpm up to 15 HP more than on the GT3 but maximum engine power still stays the same.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:05 PM
technik99
7th Gear

Before you purchase this, let me know...I can save you about $300 over this price.

my email is info@gruppem-usa.com

thx
Old 11-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

luigi,
when is your RS arriving??? pls post photos

Quick Reply: GruppeM GT3 Ram Charger