5 year forecast for 996 gt3'S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 09:32 AM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
let me know when it's time you selling GT3.
Thanks Mooty, but honestly I don't think I will sell anytime soon. I have this sad affliction with my cars where I have a really hard time letting them go - especially ones that have been with me for so long.

I sold my 88 E30 M3 when I picked up the GT3 and still rue the day I let that happen. I would love that car back!!

Chet
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2016, 12:41 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 324 Posts

In 2005 I was looking for my first street/track car. I found a Henna Red '88 M3 locally, some bumps/bruises on the exterior, mint interior. Autopower rollbar, H&R/bilsteins, swaybars, Supersprint full exhaust. Motor seemed a little down on power. Car was all there tho. Coulda bought it for $5700! Doh!!

So, are the Speed Yellow GT3's undesirable? Seems like they take longer to sell and sell for less money. Also, what's considered high mileage on one of these? I'm not particularly worried about mileage but I know that the market on these sets a value to mileage.

Trying to figure out what's a fair price for a car I'm looking at. Speed yellow, 55k miles...
Old 12-30-2016, 12:43 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by 9caregiver
Maybe I just have thicker skin. I am 55 and drove mine from Pittsburgh spending 5 days shredding the roads in Va, NC and TN. I am a retired motocross and motorcycle road racer so sitting in a car getting bounced around listening to my Cargraphic exhaust is nothing compared to getting launched off a dirt bike or sliding at 100 mph plus on asphalt. I sure hope this didn't come across as sticking my chest out, just sayin' I don't mind driving mine on the street at all and can't think of another way to say drive the damn car - anywhere!
Not sure what alignment you have on yours but track alignment is not fun at all on the street. You need two hands on the wheel at all times to avoid catapaulting off the road if there is any sort of discrepancy in the road surface. For me personally the cup dampers and monoballs are harsh but bearable. It's the wheel alignment that affects the road drivinv experience the most. YMMV.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:21 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

Two hands on the "bars" is always a plus on a bike too. Counter-steering, you know?
Old 12-31-2016, 04:59 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by sithot
Two hands on the "bars" is always a plus on a bike too. Counter-steering, you know?
no wonder i fly off my bicycle so much.
left hand i have cookies
right hand i have iphone on RL
Old 01-01-2017, 06:05 PM
black04
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Every mountain road is my personal track

Originally Posted by 9caregiver
Maybe I just have thicker skin. I am 55 and drove mine from Pittsburgh spending 5 days shredding the roads in Va, NC and TN. I am a retired motocross and motorcycle road racer so sitting in a car getting bounced around listening to my Cargraphic exhaust is nothing compared to getting launched off a dirt bike or sliding at 100 mph plus on asphalt. I sure hope this didn't come across as sticking my chest out, just sayin' I don't mind driving mine on the street at all and can't think of another way to say drive the damn car - anywhere!
I'm with you on mountain roads vs the track. I was riding sportbikes for 40 years, when the were first called Superbikes. Every mountain road is an ever changing track. And yeah. Riding a Sportbike hard is uncomfortable work, but more fun than anything you can compare it with. So the GT3's track oriented suspension was the way to go for me. "Why buy a relatively comfortable AWD Turbo when I can get the same performance in a twitchy, yet road-sticky RWD, Bone-jarringly suspended narrow-body car?", I thought. Non-Gearhead friends say, "You got a Porsche? Can I go for a ride?". I respond, "You won't like it. " Then I take them on a short Roller Coaster ride, their eyes like Pie Pans and they don't know what to say.

I did a similar trip to you. Met my Porsche buddies in East TN, spent a week in the Smokie Mtns, headed home to Los Angeles, drove the mountains of TN and KY for 4 days, realized I would never get home at that rate so forced myself to get on the interstate for a few hours, then spent 2 days in the Ozark Mtns, hit the SW New Mexico Mtns, went to the NE Arizona Mtns, back on the interstate and ended with a day in the San Gabriels of Los Angeles.

3 weeks of mountain driving, different turns every day, every minute. Some days my hands were so sore by 1am that I had to slow down and stop to take pictures. On the street, those huge-at-the-time, track-suitable brakes last forever. Same thing for that motor. The only expense is rear tires every year before I go across the country in search of new turns. (and a busted alternator or power steering pump every 50,000 mi)

Last edited by black04; 01-01-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:19 PM
black04
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Stock alignment

Originally Posted by spiller
Not sure what alignment you have on yours but track alignment is not fun at all on the street. You need two hands on the wheel at all times to avoid catapaulting off the road if there is any sort of discrepancy in the road surface. For me personally the cup dampers and monoballs are harsh but bearable. It's the wheel alignment that affects the road drivinv experience the most. YMMV.
The GT3 is a street car. The stock alignment works great on the street for me, for the 50k miles that I have had the car. OTOH, stock camber is going to wear the inside edge of any foot-wide rear tires. Course if I really cared about that, I would be driving a Miata

Trackmeisters probably all know this but this car looses all grip when the rear tires are at 50%. I did learn that the hard way.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:21 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

The only investment a car is ,is your enjoyment! Buy it ,drive it cause you love it.Think how good you feel every time you open the garage door!Especially if you’re going to go for a drive!
The person who dies with the most mileage on there P car wins!
Old 01-01-2017, 11:08 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Any idea what a 996 GT3 with 105k miles on it is worth? Stock motor, hasn't been refreshed yet
Old 01-01-2017, 11:21 PM
jpgunn
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

it will keep going up to parity with 7.1 and 7.2 GT3 non RS. just watch.

950+250 units. is that USA, north america or worldwide numbers?

996gt3 is not an easy car to drive and many ppl know that so after all the talk, dance and farting. buyers go buy something less manly. u think i am joking. i am not.

many 6GT3 are beat to hell, so dont sell
some are modded to wazoo (i had two like like that, no int AT ALL, it's lighter and more barren than cup car), they are hard sell
the really nice ones are almost 6 figures, dont sell.
but there are cars that sell...

yes, aging and mid pack... are u talking about the car or my wife?
to me it's love and hate relationship, i am talking about the car... well and my wife too. i have over 10 6gt3, actually maybe 15. i keep buying and selling bc i love how it drives but to my eye, it's fugly... kate moss skinny... well, i bought another...

7gt is easy sell
6gt , you either understand it or you dont. it's an acquired taste. like drinking beer, most smell like urine to me.
6GT3 are exceptional cars. Nice and Narrow. Loved the 3 different ones I got to compete in. I would take one over a GT4 any day, but they are definitely a "Driver's Car".
Old 01-02-2017, 05:40 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

I've had my 996GT3 for 11 years (bought it with 2900 miles, now with 35k) and the closest I've ever got to selling it was when I lusted for a GT4 -- sight unseen and undriven. As luck would have it, a guy let me drive his at Chuckwalla Raceway and I found it to be a wonderful car in every way... but it lacked the soul of the 6GT3 so I backed out of the deal for a new GT4 and kept the 6GT3.

Mine is virtually stock with the exception of safety items, race pads and track alignment. Driving it on the street isn't great, but not bad -- it's just that the enjoyment factor on the track is so much better than the street that comparing the two seems foreign.

As far as the original question of future values, it's hard to tell, but as Muller said, the pool of potential buyers for this particular car is somewhat limited.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

buyers for thee cars will increase soon

under valued
everyone talks
about DRICING EXPERIENCE... this is that
low production number

buy now b4 "collectors"
bring the price over 100
Old 01-02-2017, 07:04 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CFGT3
As far as the original question of future values, it's hard to tell, but as Muller said, the pool of potential buyers for this particular car is somewhat limited.
IDK, could have said similar for the RSAs back in the day....

buyers for thee cars will increase soon
under valued
low production number
Forgot the most important part for the "collectors"

.. no sunroof ..

Who knows, I'll just enjoy mine as it is a great car if one is into cars and not just transportation...

I also don't see the GT4 as similar. Either one wants to drive an ***-engined car or one doesn't. If the latter (or it does not matter) then its the GT4. One would not be giving much up in lap times if at all (or outrunning some it would appear). One would be giving up the uniqueness and feel of driving a well developed 911 platform without help: A driving experience that cannot be mimicked, mirrored, or duplicated. I personally would not give up the latter for the former but I can see the allure of the Cayman platform 'fully' (maybe better said as "well") developed...

Old 01-02-2017, 07:06 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

No input on what a 105k mile 996 GT3 is worth?
Old 01-02-2017, 07:22 PM
LAH
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I truly feel this car is the closest driving "experience" (possibly even better on the road) than the already legendary 911R. Having driven almost every modern day GT Porsche, even a friends R and previously owning a GT4, I am confident in that statement. My time with the 996 is pretty recent and early in its stages, but this car has stolen my heart. So much so that I sold my GT4 to fund the maniacal amount of work I am in the process of doing to mine. I haven't looked back for a second. The GT4 is a great chassis/great looking design inside and out but has an extremely underwhelming drivetrain. The gearing is terrible and the engine is basic. It is a refined GT car and those two words shouldn't be in the same sentence. The problems with the R are obvious. Too limited and expensive, can't use 500bhp on the road and it's a little wide and heavy. So why wouldn't you buy an ugly soap bar shaped 996, throw a LWFW and Guards diff in it, some Euro seats, monoball suspension bits and get a killer alignment? I have yet to find the argument for otherwise...

I had every opportunity to buy a 997.1 and .2 but didn't because it was overrated for the cost comparison to the 996. The story of how I came in to mine is actually pretty funny to me. I bought it to help a friend who was in need of cash, hoping to flip it for maybe $4-5k profit and be in and out. I drove it home from the dealer after its PPI expecting it to be a dated hunk of crap (having never driven it) and my mind was blown. The engine in this car is a f@$king legend!!! I then begun looking in to all the toys and aftermarket options for the car to basically work out the kinks and decided to part with the GT4 as it wasn't being driven anymore.

There are definitely things you HAVE to do to get these cars modernized. The diff is horrible and the front end is pretty bad. A LWFW and 997 headers/exhaust really take the experience to another level as well. So figure you get in to one for $60-$70k, pin the coolant lines and do the above modifications for another $10k, you're in for $75-$80k. You'll have a reliable car that quite realistically no one actually knows what its projected value is for the next 5-10 years...but I can probably guarantee you it won't fall much if any at all. These cars aren't a savings account though! They aren't a piece of property...they are FUN! And if my car was tomorrow worth $20k, I'd be ok with that because it is just a f@$cking awesome experience that no other modern day Porsche provides for its value. I don't want to get in to a car and push a sport button or damper button. I don't want different levels of drivers aids. I want a raw, simple, feedback derived road car.

That being said, I can't wait for years to come when guys like Singer and Magnus Walker are doing builds based off of this car. It is a future classic. Maybe not for its looks, but for its character beneath the skin. I love what one of the guys here said about the car being kind of like your wife. You grow to love her imperfections throughout the years. She may not be as physically pretty as the latest model...but she is yours and she is internally a masterpiece.

Happy New Years guys!

Quick Reply: 5 year forecast for 996 gt3'S?