Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: "Moderate" mileage driver-condition 996 GT3!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016 | 04:55 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Default WTB: "Moderate" mileage driver-condition 996 GT3!

Alright, I've gone long enough without a gt3 of some variant in the garage. Going to keep the 6-speed Gallardo, so I need to find a clean 996 gt3 to scratch that itch without breaking the bank. Willing to pay a fair price for the right car, based on real world, recent rennlist transactions. Don't plan to track it as I have a stripped e36 m3 for that. Here is what I'm looking for:

1) moderate mileage (35k-60k miles fine).
2) White, Black, grey, or blue. I wished I liked silver, but it just doesn't do it for me (otherwise Fritz Flynn's car would have been in my garage by now...amazing deal and exactly what I"m looking for, except for color). I love yellow but the lambo is yellow and I want something more under the radar that won't attract as much attention. Willing to pay a bit of a premium for white, but I know that is a tall order.
3) Accident history/repaint history just fine, provided price reflects the history, there is documentation of the repair, and it didn't happen last week LOL!
4) Doesn't need to be a high spec/option car. No full leather, no pccb's, no problem (although nice options are a plus)
5) tasteful and appropriate mods are just fine (I love mod'ing so the car I get won't remain stock for long anyway most likely.
6) type 2 overrevs fine as long as there are not 5,000 ignitions occurring in the last ten operating hours!
7) track miles fine, but not looking for a car that has lived its life primarily as a track car. 4-5 DE days a year is fine!

I've been following the market pretty closely, and would love to buy a well-loved and frequently-driven car owned by a fellow rennlister instead of taking my chances on the open market!

I know all this may sound like a tall order, but I also know that folks don't always advertise these cars for sale so I thought I'd just throw this out. Cash buyer, ready to get something done this week if it works out!

Let me know what you got or if you have any leads!!!! Such wonderful cars. I loved my 996 gt3 a ton, and loved my 997.1 as well, but the 996 was definitely the best bang for the buck given the overall driving feel and very small performance delta (imho) between a nicely modded 996 gt3 and a 997.1!

Also, if the seller is worried about losing out on anticipated appreciation, we can work something out. I'm not looking to flip or profit from this, so I'd be willing to do a right of first refusal at the purchase price, split profit upon resale, etc..., if that is a concern. I just want to get something fun to drive when I don't feel like posing as a washed up pro-athlete in a 12-year old lambo!
Old 12-12-2016 | 05:02 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Good luck. If anyone is on the fence about selling, I'd take advantage of this opportunity.

Serious 6gt3 buyers (at fair prices) are hard to find.
Old 12-12-2016 | 05:08 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kk2
Good luck. If anyone is on the fence about selling, I'd take advantage of this opportunity.

Serious 6gt3 buyers (at fair prices) are hard to find.
Thanks! Love your car by the way!!!! Such special cars. Forgot to mention, private party sale STRONGLY preferred as there is no private party sales tax in Arizona, so that is a BIG deal to me!
Old 12-12-2016 | 05:56 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kk2
hahah and trust me, if you are on the fence a little...Scott will definitely attempt to knock you off the fence
Old 12-12-2016 | 06:00 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lax01
hahah and trust me, if you are on the fence a little...Scott will definitely attempt to knock you off the fence

Ha! C'mon...I'm not that bad! I thought my offer was pretty dang fair (pm kk2 and ask him about the recent sale of his white, pristine, 20k mile car!).
Old 12-12-2016 | 06:57 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

hahah it was definitely fair...I'm just terrified I won't be able to find anything remotely comparable for the same cost
Old 12-12-2016 | 07:08 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

hahah it was definitely fair...I'm just terrified I won't be able to find anything remotely comparable for the same cost
And in that regard, my friend, we are in total agreement...you won't!
Old 12-13-2016 | 01:58 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Since you don't want silver.... or yellow....

I'd love a car like this and will take silver :-). (Or yellow)

Man I feel like I wrote that description. I love drivers!

Just like to buy cars close to me.

Sorry for crapping on your thread!

Btw I do know of a white one local here... but I'm guessing too $. It's minty. Like smells new. Looks new.
Old 12-13-2016 | 11:20 AM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Crap away Spyrex! Yeah, a low mileage white car sounds great, but the goal is to get something a little lower on the desirability totem pole so that I don't have to sell the Italian (yet).
Old 12-15-2016 | 04:46 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Good luck with the search, I hope you find your car soon. I like your thinking, drivers leak less oil and eventually they'll all go up anyway (even though you have said this is not a motivation for you).
Old 12-15-2016 | 11:22 AM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spiller
Good luck with the search, I hope you find your car soon. I like your thinking, drivers leak less oil and eventually they'll all go up anyway (even though you have said this is not a motivation for you).

Thanks Spiller. I'm mulling over a couple different options, but frankly, neither are exactly what I'm looking for (one is not my preferred color, and the other is just a bit more than I want to pay and I would need to spend at a few thousand to address a couple things to make it "just right"). Based on the response to this thread, lots of folks either: (1) have something that doesn't meet my description; or (2) just don't want to sell or would need a premium to let their pride and joy go.

The bummer is that there have been at least 4 cars listed on Rennlist over the past 3-6 months that there is no question I would have purchased (closer to asking prices than the actual selling prices), had they been for sale now.

Although I like the two front runners I have identified, neither really "grab" me on that emotional level, which is a problem because I need to really love this car as I plan to keep it for a very long time and don't intend to repeat the mistake I made in prematurely selling my 996 a few years ago.

Perhaps it would help if I just cut to the chase and disclosed my price expectations (which may seem unrealistic to observers focusing just on asking prices out there, but which I think are actually pretty fair based on real-world recent transactions I know of). For example: 40-45k miles, relatively clean, no accident car with moderate tracking history and some nice options: I'd probably pay $70k for something like that. A little less if more mileage, a documented accident, bare bones, etc.... (yeah, I know, I should have bought any one of the white ones that have been for sale on here over the past year!). Ideally I'd like to stay under 70k, but with that said, if the right car with the right history and options came along, I'd be willing to pay more (even if more than 50k miles...cough, cough, Josh, cough, cough....!)

I don't know, maybe I'm smoking something, but I'm just basing my expectations on actual transactions I know of in the past year (I personally know of a very clean local white car that traded hands in March of this year for 68k that was just perfect, and which I passed on because I just wasn't ready to pull the trigger at the time).

Let me know if you think I'm crazy or I should just be patient. I suspect the latter, but who knows.

Last edited by ScottArizona; 12-15-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-15-2016 | 11:54 AM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

sorry for extra post...accidentally unsubscribed.
Old 12-15-2016 | 07:44 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Too bad its egear or I would suggest you upgrade to this: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...s-134-0-a.html
Old 12-15-2016 | 08:00 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

You aren't crazy, maybe a bit impatient. What you are asking for is not common, as you have realized. If you are willing to spend $70k on a 3rd fun car, you should be patient and get exactly what you are looking for. The market certainly hasn't strengthened over the past 3-6 months.

Nice choice in track cars, btw. I have a '98 m3 with an s54 that is sublime on the track.
Old 12-16-2016 | 12:39 AM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

lol! I would honestly rather have my manual gallardo. And yeah, manual sl's are insane money! I think you should upgrade to a new, worry free m2 with a warranty and black interior!

Too bad its egear or I would suggest you upgrade to this: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...s-134-0-a.html

Quick Reply: WTB: "Moderate" mileage driver-condition 996 GT3!