Sponsored by:

Impressions - Corsas, rear wing shims, & motorsport brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 03:28 AM
Weng
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impressions - Corsas, rear wing shims, & motorsport brake pads

Corsas - agree with other posters in that they last a bit longer than MPSCs and work in the wet. I've driven over 100 track laps, 2,000+ very high speed highway miles, and countless heat cycles on my set and they still have a quite a bit of life (grip and tread) left in them. However, they definitely lose out to the Sport Cups in terms of absolute dry grip. I estimate about a 2.5 sec difference in the dry on my 3.5 mile track. At the limit, the Corsas are a lot more progressive compared to the Sport Cups which tend to snap abruptly when the limit is breached. The Corsas break traction predictably. My preference though (driven by an ego fuelled desire for the fastest possible lap times) would be to revert to the Michelins when the 235 front tire sizes finally become available.

Rear wing shims - bought the 4 and 8 deg adjustment shims from Gert. Dialled up the wing by 8 deg and the difference is clearly noticable on the fast corners. The rear of the car is a lot more planted and the transition from under to oversteer is a lot more neutral at high speed. Highly recommended mod for those who drive on tracks were downforce is important.

Sway bar settings - cranked the front and rear settings to max stiffness (4). I drive on a relatively smooth track and the stiffer settings have helped me to carry more speed through corners and toned down the car's earlier tendency to transition abruptly into oversteer when the rear suspension rebounds.

Green pads - the green Porsche Motorsport pads are great. They bite really well, handle the heat a lot better, last longer, and don't squeel nearly as loud as Pagid Oranges. Only complaint is that the brakes work so well on track that they are now overcoming the available grip provided by the tires (even Corsas). They also give off a lot of brake dust. All in all, another highly recommended mod.

I've now spent quite a bit of track time in the new car (c.3,000 miles on the clock - 600 on track) and am getting close to being very happy with the setup. At the outset, the mk2 was 3sec per lap slower than the mk1 (which was properly setup, shod with MPSCs, and modded to suit my requirements). The additional downforce and more positive braking have helped to reduce the gap. The suspension tweeks and more seat time in the new car have also brought the lap times in line with the mk1. MPSCs and more front camber (have ordered the front arm adjustment shims) should ultimately produce the 3-4 sec per lap advantage that I expect from the mk2. Now if only the damned thing won't break down on me again!!
Old 11-03-2003, 03:48 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

MPSC impressions...

I used them over the weekend at Laguna Seca and was impressed..though it took me almost 2 laps to fully warm them up..

Seeing how you were once again at Sepang, I would think the local climate would "heatup" the tires for you already

Did you break your previous track times?

Sorry to hear about your car breaking down...hope all goes well...

-f
Old 11-05-2003, 02:03 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

we'll have to put you on a weight penalty scheme if you choose to drive so fast in the future
Old 11-05-2003, 06:33 PM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by superyellowfly
we'll have to put you on a weight penalty scheme if you choose to drive so fast in the future
So, any track days in Dec at Sepang? Porsche Club or not?
I can take one of the P cars if there is only by Porsche Club..I just want some track time there....

-f
Old 11-06-2003, 07:40 AM
Weng
Instructor

Fongster, sent you a PM
Old 11-06-2003, 02:01 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

weng,
your post are very informative. did you install the 8 degree shims yourself, is it easy and fast???
Old 11-07-2003, 02:38 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Weng
Fongster, sent you a PM
pmed you back....

is the flying yellow banana coming too
Old 11-07-2003, 03:24 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

flying yellow banana having some minor technical difficulties....
inbetween mods at the moment... got the PSC and exhaust system coming soon.

weng,
I won't be catching you in the corners, but definitely on the straights

and Fongster,
Thats super flying yellow banana to you
Old 11-07-2003, 03:35 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by superyellowfly
flying yellow banana having some minor technical difficulties....
inbetween mods at the moment... got the PSC and exhaust system coming soon.

weng,
I won't be catching you in the corners, but definitely on the straights

and Fongster,
Thats super flying yellow banana to you
OK, then I will be uber duper white devil to you~
hahaha
Old 11-07-2003, 05:35 AM
Weng
Instructor

Watt, I am a mechanical ignoramus and have no capacity whatsoever to do the simplest of installations myself. The shims were installed by the local dealer - don't think it took them very long as the parts look very simple. The shims come in a bright orangy red color - and they are very visible when installed. Looks OK under my black wing but I'm certain that others may want to paint them body color.

Quick Reply: Impressions - Corsas, rear wing shims, & motorsport brake pads