Sponsored by:

No more Sunoco Ultra 94

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 07:12 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry No more Sunoco Ultra 94

I like running Sunoco Ultra 94. Recently I filled up and realized that Sunoco is now only offering Ultra 93...Their quote on the pump was "Same quality, lower octane" I said to myself, "Yippeee!!!",

Anyways, this change effects NY, CT and soon the rest of New England. Apparently the main ingredient in Ultra 94 was MTBE which has now been banned, thank's to the tree hugger's lobby. I spoke with a guy who races motorcycles professionally today...A Ducati rider (Go KPV), he is sponsered by Klotz Lube, who makes specialty racing gas, additives and lubricants. In short, you can buy race gas in 108 and 113 octane varieties in 55 gallon drums.
They also have octane booster and power additives that oxygenate the gas for better burning in the c chamber. here's their link and link to a pdf with pricing and details of the products...
http://www.klotzlube.com/products/a.../hazardous.html

http://www.klotzlube.com/support/pdf/price_list2002.pdf

Think I may try the octane booster. 1 ounce per gallon with boost the octane by 2 1/2 numbers. I will also talk to them about the oxygen power booster.

Anyone familiar with their products????

Old 11-01-2003, 07:40 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Rockitman:

If I might offer some advice,.......

If you need a higher octane fuel than 93, use or mix unleaded race gas,.....do not use leaded race gas or any octane boosters.

Octane boosters really cannot be homogeneously blended in a gas tank and the chemicals used on those products attack the elastomers in the fuel system. Further, they leave a real mess on the plugs, valves, and combustion chambers.

Caveat Emptor on those things. They really do very little.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:52 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Steve, I was waiting for some technical advice, before trying it. I guess the 93 is not too far off 94, so it would suffice for my needs. Only thinking of what is best for the powerplant...I assume this also applies to the gas oxygenators???The concept of the gas being able to explode faster via the use of more oxygen seemed intuitive...
Old 11-01-2003, 10:30 PM
yongster
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sunoco is fine for everyday driving, and if are tracking your car, you can usually get higher octane fuel at the track.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:46 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Steve, I read the info on the rennsportsystems site. From your experience, which is better to run in my car. Mobil Super 93 or Sunoco Ultra 93 (MTBE) free??? Thanks!!!!
Old 11-02-2003, 02:39 AM
protokultur
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There will likely not be any noticeable difference between brands of gas other than at the psychological level. Most gas for a region comes from the same few distribution sites as other stations use - those additives are mixed with the fuel later.

Isn't that "octane booster" usually just some xylene or toluene derivative? How come they're charging an arm and a leg for it? If I wanted to spend hundreds of dollars on gas additives, I'd just look into a bulk supplier somewhere...
Old 11-02-2003, 03:52 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Rockitman:

Either fuel will be just fine;....no discernable differences.

Since these Bosch engine management systems are adaptive and dynamic, I tell our clients to use a blend of 50/50 pump & unleaded race gas when they do DE events for maximum performance, especially on hot days.

Octane boosters are a complex brew consisting of things like Toluene, Zylene, some Manganese compounds, MTBE, isopropanol and some other stuff. These compounds are well known for attacking the non-Viton elastomers and turning rubber parts to mush,....

For what very modest increase in octane they actually provide, its far cheaper to add octane to the fuel tank using unleaded race gas in some proportion. I only carry octane boosters for use in dire emergencies such as when I get mis-fueled (regular instead of premium).
Old 11-02-2003, 10:54 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Consider yourself lucky!
Being in CA the best pump gas obtainable is 91
Old 11-02-2003, 12:22 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: No more Sunoco Ultra 94

Originally posted by rockitman
Think I may try the octane booster. 1 ounce per gallon with boost the octane by 2 1/2 numbers. I will also talk to them about the oxygen power booster.
In addition to Steve's great advice and admonitions, I believe that when these "octane boosters" specify a gain of "2 1/2 numbers" per ounce -- that translates into an increase in the octane rating of .25. That is, adding 16 ounces of this booster to your 16 gallon tank full of 93 octane gas will get you up to 93.25 octane.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:30 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Default Re: Re: No more Sunoco Ultra 94

Originally posted by Jack
In addition to Steve's great advice and admonitions, I believe that when these "octane boosters" specify a gain of "2 1/2 numbers" per ounce -- that translates into an increase in the octane rating of .25. That is, adding 16 ounces of this booster to your 16 gallon tank full of 93 octane gas will get you up to 93.25 octane.
Jack, I think you misinterpreted my statement.... 1 oz. per gallon makes the resulting gallon 2.5 numbers higher in octane. So 16 oz. into 16 gallons makes 16 gallons of 95.5 octane if you start with 93, according to this company's claims...

Anyways, the point is moot. I am not adding anything to my gas except stabilizer when the car is stored for the winter month's.

Thanks Steve for your advice. It is advice that I will heed. Thanks
Old 11-02-2003, 02:40 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Re: Re: No more Sunoco Ultra 94

Originally posted by rockitman
Jack, I think you misinterpreted my statement.... 1 oz. per gallon makes the resulting gallon 2.5 numbers higher in octane. So 16 oz. into 16 gallons makes 16 gallons of 95.5 octane if you start with 93, according to this company's claims...
No, that was my point and I could be wrong about this particular product. In the case of all the other octane booster products I've researched in the past, the increase due to the addition of the booster when specified in "points/numbers" usually translates into .1 octane boost per point/number.

As you said, the issue is moot. Good decision, BTW.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:48 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

I filled up with 94 last week. I also have had conversations with Sunoco about fuel choice. Ultra 94 is more than enough for our cars. It is 99 RON where our cars will derive max performance from 98 RON. You should be able to run 93 with only a minute decrease in performance, which you will probably not even be able to notice. Check with other stations in your area or check with Sunoco direct. I got in contact with them through their website.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:59 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Ed Newman
I filled up with 94 last week. I also have had conversations with Sunoco about fuel choice. Ultra 94 is more than enough for our cars. It is 99 RON where our cars will derive max performance from 98 RON. You should be able to run 93 with only a minute decrease in performance, which you will probably not even be able to notice. Check with other stations in your area or check with Sunoco direct. I got in contact with them through their website.
From the consumer pamphlet available at the gas stations, they have indicated that because of law, MTBE will not be allowed in fuel mixtures in NY, CT with the rest of New England to follow. Stock up while you can, because 94 will be history in NY as MTBE is what made Super 93, 94 Ultra.

My dealer had no warning of the change.

Quick Reply: No more Sunoco Ultra 94