Sponsored by:

996.2 GT3 Spring Rates and Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 08:23 PM
lotusGT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996.2 GT3 Spring Rates and Ride Height

Copy and paste from PP so apologies if you're seeing this post there too...

Hi, a leaky rear damper means they're off to be rebuilt. While they are out I took the trouble to see what springs were in the car and they are rear 800lb/inch and front 571lb/inch (180mm springs with tender springs). I've always held the view my car rode harshly, but by coincidence I drove another 6.2 GT3 last week and thought it rode much better than mine. In looking into the set up on that car to my surprise it has R/F 857/800 lb/inch springs. So that changed my initial thoughts that the poor ride was because the spring rate in my car were too high, and perhaps it's incorrectly valved, or degraded dampers.

So I figured I'd try and find out the best spring rates, and then ensure the dampers are valved correctly for the chosen combo. So I set about scouring the internet for suggestions and they vary considerably as you might imagine. Rears seems to be 700 - 1000lb, and fronts anywhere from 450 - 700lb. These rates are quite a lot more than stock which is 542/228 and in upgrading it seems the fronts get a more significant increase than the rears, making them closer in rate than the factory. Overall there seems to be 100 - 200lb difference between front and rear.

Lastly I'm after a good ride height. I've measure another car that looks good at 330mm from centre wheel to guard. Any views on this?

The car is for occasional fast road, and track for fun, not chasing times (although it's hard not to chase times!). Mods are single mass flywheel, low diff, loud exhaust, Cup tiller, and runs R specs on the track and PZeros on the road.

So, what spring rates are recommended, and what ride height I'll take recommendations on all suspension geometry settings too.

Many thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2016, 01:42 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

This is a good thread to start with, but there are others that deal with alignment as well.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...up-thread.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...up-thread.html

Higher spring rates mean you can go lower, but with the obvious trade offs.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:31 PM
lotusGT3
Instructor

Thanks Hank that's very helpful. It always amazes me how many searches you can do and not find what you want and then hey presto the golden thread appears.

Cheers.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:50 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes, thread discipline here is not the best, but still probably better than most forums so it is easy to have the same information in several different threads.

That said, if you have more alignment questions or observations, post them in that thread.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:57 AM
lotusGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Honkity Hank
Yes, thread discipline here is not the best, but still probably better than most forums so it is easy to have the same information in several different threads.

That said, if you have more alignment questions or observations, post them in that thread.
Will do. I got to the right thread in time so all is good.

Quick Reply: 996.2 GT3 Spring Rates and Ride Height