996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice? Oil leak - post repair (RMS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016 | 08:30 PM
8ringcircus
Advanced

Default Advice? Oil leak - post repair (RMS)

Just had engine out to pin coolant fittings. Replaced clutch and did Guard LSD rebuild while engine out. 60k on the clock.

Fast forward, engine back in after 1 month of inactivity and there's a small oil leak from area near RMS on the initial test drive. RMS was replaced under warranty when car was almost new. I've never seen a drop of oil since.

Do I need to now go back and replace the RMS, or is possible that with additional driving the proper vacuum seal will be created stopping the leak?

Has anyone been here before?
Old 07-23-2016 | 12:37 PM
ad93
Advanced

It's unfortunate that your RMS is leaking after a clutch job. A common phrase people say here with regard to repairs is "while you're in there" items. My understanding is that most people who have a minor leak with their RMS wait to fix it until they also need a new clutch. When replacing the clutch the RMS is certainly a "while you're in there" item to replace as the labor is almost free at that point with everything disassembled.

Even though the seal in your car was replaced when new, that was 12-13 years ago. I'd be surprised if anyone with a 996 is still on the original seal and not experiencing any oil leaks. Driving the car regularly should help lubricate the seal and create the vacuum you mention but then again, many cars go into hibernation for up to half a year and don't develop a leaky RMS while sitting.

In your case, since you just replaced your clutch i presume the last thing you want is to have the car disassembled once again. I would monitor the leak for now and check the oil level with the electronic oil display every drive to ensure that it is indeed a minor leak.
Old 07-25-2016 | 12:50 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

drive it- clean it - drive it- drive it- It can fix itself. .. sometimes. recheck. How big a drop? Sometimes storing with full oil contributes to leak as well.
Old 07-25-2016 | 06:47 PM
Wayne K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
drive it- clean it - drive it- drive it- It can fix itself. .. sometimes. recheck. How big a drop? Sometimes storing with full oil contributes to leak as well.
I go through this every year as vehicle is winter stored. So far driving it 2 to 3 times a month stops the leak. Hope you are as lucky.
Old 07-29-2016 | 11:31 PM
8ringcircus
Advanced

Big relief; it was just the front seal. Bumper off, seal replaced, leak gone. I've enjoyed the fact that this car has never left a drop on the floor and am happy it will stay that way.

Quick Reply: Advice? Oil leak - post repair (RMS)