Sponsored by:

Low Oil Pressure Warninng

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 11:32 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Low Oil Pressure Warninng

I was on the track yesterday and notice a message I have not seen in the past. After my 2nd session finished I was pulling into the paddock and just when I stopped and put the car in neutral I noticed a Red display message something about low oil pressure. I did a quick check of the computer and no messages. I did a 3rd session and the car was fine on the track, but the same thing happened. This time I opened up the rear deck and noticed a slight oil spray. I checked the oil level and it was fine and no leaking.

However, I did notice one of the fittings in the picture was loose. I could turn it by hand in either direction. I am guessing the fitting got loose (maybe heat/temperature and other DE's) and caused the issue? I am hoping I tighten the fitting and problem solved.

I did not want to continue to tighten/loosen without out knowing if I was going to strip something or oil would gush out. I was tuning the coupling a little and it did not catch and as mentioned stopped. I did not do a 4th session. Also, when I start the car no messages. It was a hot yesterday in the 80's and on the higher on the black tarmac.

Can you please give your thoughts on how to correctly torque fitting or if this is something else to resolve the issue.
Attached Images   
Old 06-25-2016, 11:58 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how old and what weight is the oil in the car ? i doubt that fitting is the source of low oil psi that said you really should not put any wrenches on it........let a mechanic look at it. you should stay off the track until the oil issue is fixed....just a thought
Old 06-25-2016, 12:39 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Oil is new. I just changed it myself in April. It is Mobil 0w 40 full syn.
Ok. Is it normal for that fitting in question to be that loose?
Old 06-25-2016, 12:52 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

some power steering fittings seem loose because of their design .......i do not know what that line is for so i can not say
Old 06-25-2016, 08:39 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

thats a power steering hyd line. not related to a low oil pressure light. most likely the oil pressure sensor behind and below the oil filter is going bad. not uncommon on metzger motors. about 50$ for the sensor

the p/s line can be tightened by wrench. its brass so dont go godzilla on it just snug it up if its loose
Old 06-25-2016, 10:37 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

So I learned what I was looking at was the power steering line which had nothing to do with the oil pressures warning. Also, I can tighten down the p/s line - turn clockwise, right?

Also, the oil sensor part is probably going bad.... I believe the part number is 996 606 203 02 (revised)?. I did see prices around $77. Not too bad.

I am guessing I will have to take off the oil filter (does this mean I will need a new one?) off to get access to the sensor. Also, will I have to remove the heat shield from the bottom side?

Would you say the repair time is around 1 hour?

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2016, 12:27 AM
ad93
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
So I learned what I was looking at was the power steering line which had nothing to do with the oil pressures warning. Also, I can tighten down the p/s line - turn clockwise, right?

Also, the oil sensor part is probably going bad.... I believe the part number is 996 606 203 02 (revised)?. I did see prices around $77. Not too bad.

I am guessing I will have to take off the oil filter (does this mean I will need a new one?) off to get access to the sensor. Also, will I have to remove the heat shield from the bottom side?

Would you say the repair time is around 1 hour?

Thanks!

I have noticed over the last couple months several owners have had the low oil pressure light come on. Mine too has been acting up the last two weeks. Any info related to the install of a new sensor unit would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2016, 08:52 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had same
Checked wire connection and found one loose on the pressure sensor, so far no more alarms
Old 06-28-2016, 03:52 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

I ordered a new oil pressure sensor from my local Porsche dealer. It might cost a few more $, but I get the part in my hand in two days. I wonder if mine is just a loose wire?

If I take off the oil filter will be I be able to see if the wire is loose? I am sure it is a tight space.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:50 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 679 Likes on 342 Posts

There are a lot of threads on this. Yes, the oil pressure sensor goes bad, fairly common, not hard to replace, not a big deal. I did mine a few years ago.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...-pressure.html

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure Warninng