Notices

Engine start with clutch?

Old 04-26-2016, 01:11 PM
yelcab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2005 GT3 requires the clutch to be depressed. I always leave my cars in gear so it is a good thing to depress the clutch while starting
Old 04-26-2016, 01:23 PM
porschedog
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've never tried to start mine without the "extra pedal" being used - pure muscle memory that my foot depresses the pedal before I turn the key.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:24 PM
porschedog
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FWIW, I "like" the extra pedal. Yeah, PDK is uber fast, I know.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:03 PM
Rob S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's one of the threads that discusses the reason for (and the way to) take that clutch safety switch out of the system.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...-445-00-a.html

There was another thread started in 2005 that discussed it as well. Both were with reference to 996TT or GT2s, so I don't know how relevant they are to the 996 GT3. But the principle is the same -- when you step on the clutch, and turn over the engine, the force applied to the crankshaft through the (depressed) clutch, coupled with the lack of oil pressure in the non-running engine, loads the crankshaft against the thrust collar on the No. 1 main bearing and can cause premature wear on the bearing. I'm not sure of the magnitude of the concern and the likelihood of real damage, but I choose not to take a chance. So I never press the clutch pedal while starting the engine. The downsides of this technique are that if you happen to leave the car in gear and "forget," you could be sorry. And also, you'll be asking the starter motor to rotate the transmission mainshaft, which can take significant power if the transmission oil is cold and viscous.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:50 PM
Berra
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I start mine in N, no clutch, I'm in Europe.

My brother had a 2010 Golf GTD and you had to press the clutch to be able to start it, also Euro car. I was surprised as I thought only U.S cars had this.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:47 AM
993GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

First 'mod' anyone should do IMO...of course be aware of any potential legal/safety issues.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:04 PM
c didy
User

Originally Posted by christallon View Post
I zip tied my micro switch so it is always in the open position so I don't need to use the clutch. I have trained myself to leave the car in neutral. I come from the early car world where these micro switches never existed.
Good idea.

Is the switch in the pedal cluster?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine start with clutch?

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: