Gen. 1 vs. Gen. 2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 02:03 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen. 1 vs. Gen. 2 GT3

Hi Guys,

With the risk of getting "flamed" (my intention is not to critizise) I have a few direct observations to report, after having driven the Gen. 2 GT3 today.

Being the owner of a Gen. 1 GT3 Clubsport, I have to say that the Gen. 2 GT3 feels soo much more civilized. Gone is the raw distinct shifting, heavy clutch, high pitched engine and exhaust note, direct steering and steering response. All things listed are a loss in my opinion.

On the power side, the Gen. 2 has got rid of the well known Gen. 1 torque dip at around 6500rpm, this is a very nice improvement! Brakes are a tad more effective in the Gen. 2 but still with a little less "feel" compared with the Gen. 1 GT3. Exteriorwise, I personally preffer the Gen. 1 which does not have the surprised look front lights and spoiler but that is probably because I am not used to seeing the new shape that often.

That is just a few immediate feelings.

Ciao,

Johannes E.

Last edited by Mr. C4; 10-12-2003 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:59 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Weng pretty much said the exact opposite. He sold his mk1 and owns the mk2.. Ask him for his opinion but it sounded to me like this new model was hands down much better than the first - plus he had a 30HP Cargraphic tuning kit on his mk1. Maybe you need more time in the new model before forming a final opinion.

Adam
Old 10-12-2003, 03:59 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Hi Adam,

It could be that my Gen. 1 is a Clubsport, which has different shocks, higher spring ratio, heavy duty wheelcarriers (Supercup if I remember correctly), lightweight single mass flywheel, heavy duty clutch and rollcage from factory.

Ciao,

Johannes
Old 10-12-2003, 06:05 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Very possible - I am sure he will gladly give you his take as well, being an owner of both. Always good information..
Old 10-12-2003, 07:08 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Mr. C4
Hi Adam,

It could be that my Gen. 1 is a Clubsport, which has different shocks, higher spring ratio, heavy duty wheelcarriers (Supercup if I remember correctly), lightweight single mass flywheel, heavy duty clutch and rollcage from factory.

Ciao,

Johannes
Johannes, I never owned a Mk 1 GT3 but from what I remember reading about the Club Sport option, the only things on your list that it had over the Comfort version were the single mass flywheel and roll cage. The other things it had over the comfort version were the fireproof cloth seats, a fire extinguisher, and wiring for a kill switch. Most CS cars had AC and radio delete but not all owners chose this. Suspension was identical to Comfort version from what I recall.

Karl
Old 10-13-2003, 01:28 AM
Weng
Instructor

ADOGNY seems to know that I wouldn't be able to resist offering my 2 cents on this.

Johannes, I never had the pleasure of driving a CS version so I'm not sure how different the car feels from the Comfort version. As such, my views are restricted to direct comparisons between the 2 Comfort versions with which I'm familiar.

Mk1 was a great car but I perceived the following key differences which makes me like the mk2 more.

- more civilised around town and on normal highways : (1) suspension improvements makes it ride better and tramline less; (2) better low end torque makes the car more tractable and easier to lug around at low engine speeds (not that its good for the car to do so); (3) less "clanking" at idle and low speeds reduces cabin noise.

- better shifter - shorter throw and more precise (shows up during track use). Switched out to a short shifter in my mk1 which required heavier effort. Clutch is lighter than the mk1 but still requires effort, and I do perceive a quicker "rebound" with the mk2 clutch.

- acceleration - the mk2 is a lot faster in a straight line, and particularly above 200km/h. However, I'm sure that the single mass flywheel in your CS version helps the engine to rev more freely.

- engine noise & exhaust note - stock vs. stock less clanky at idle and raspier exhaust under full throttle. Induction note is comparable to mk1. That said, mk2 sound stock doesn't come close to the Cargraphic kit (w/ cup filter) that I had on the mk1 car.

- brakes - did you upgrade your mk1 brakes? Those were my biggest grievance with my 1st car as the stock pads just didn't cut it. IMHO, the mk2 brakes are a huge move forward as the stock pads (Pagids) bite well and don't fade. I had to run Pagid Oranges and Blues to make the mk1 brakes work effectively on track.

- handling - I still don't have a firm view on this point as I'm still experimenting with the mk2's setup. I had the mk1 set up exactly the way I liked it and am still searching for that comfort zone with the mk2 on track. Could be simply that I'm carrying a lot more speed up to a corner that I'm struggling to find the right balance given the higher entry speeds.

- cupholders - the key to the purchase decision!!

Don't get me wrong though - the mk1 is a fantastic car and I wouldn't have given it up if the mk2 didn't come along.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:25 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

Hey, I know my fellow users.. Great information as expected! Thanks as I was curious as well.

Adam
Old 10-13-2003, 02:31 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Karl,

I checked with Porsche and the Gen. 1 is sprung stiffer than the Comfort version and it also has heavy duty wheel carriers from the Supercup. As for clutch, they did not know from the top of their head but would have thought so since the flywheel is different.

I could have listed all the variances (kill switch, nomex seats, fire extinguisher) but since they don't affect the performance of the car I left them out.

Coming from the 964 board, where there is always a friendly tone, I am surprised that here at the 996/GT3 board, every poster always have to get questioned and prove every bit of opinion, fact and personal view that is posted, still very few individuals here has the deep knowledge of the gurus at the 964 and 993 board but plenty of self appointed experts.

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:10 AM
Fozzy
Instructor

Coming from the 964 board, where there is always a friendly tone, I am surprised that here at the 996/GT3 board, every poster always have to get questioned and prove every bit of opinion, fact and personal view that is posted, still very few individuals here has the deep knowledge of the gurus at the 964 and 993 board but plenty of self appointed experts.
Got it in one my friend. Precisely as has been demonstrated in the 996 vs GT3 debate that has raged out of control for a while and seems to have got everyone incredibly wound up. It's a constant struggle trying to wade through vehement, aimless and frequently purely theoretical opinions to find those who are making an attempt to provide reasonable and constructive comments from personal experience. Keep it up though - best of luck.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:29 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Fozzy,

Good to see that there is someone else out there that share the same opinion. Almost lost faith in the 996 family owners there for a while!

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:14 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

johaness,
i must agree with you on the exterior: i find mk I eminently more atrractive. i'm debating alternatives to mk II wing, including going with a mk I "Taco". the mk II RS wing seems easiest, and maybe add the RS lighter parts as well.

no one else however seems bothered by the mk II wing, and i haven't heard of any alternatives
Old 10-13-2003, 11:28 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Karl,

I checked with Porsche and the Gen. 1 is sprung stiffer than the Comfort version and it also has heavy duty wheel carriers from the Supercup. As for clutch, they did not know from the top of their head but would have thought so since the flywheel is different.

I could have listed all the variances (kill switch, nomex seats, fire extinguisher) but since they don't affect the performance of the car I left them out.

Ciao,

Johannes E.
I was not trying to impune you, only asking to clarify my own knowledge. As I said, I never owned a Mk 1, so was only going based on what I remember reading about it. Thanks for clarifying but don't be so defensive.

Karl
Old 10-14-2003, 01:28 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Hey Karl,

It's cool, just seems as if people here are very "jumpy" on eachother, especially the GT3 crowd lately.

Some good brotherly tone is what we need!

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:50 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Amen to that, bro. I won't jump if you don't :-)

Karl
Old 10-14-2003, 09:27 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Karl,

Johannes E.
Johannes,

I'm not trying to start a pi$$ing contest, just trying to get the facts. I have checked with the GT3 Registry which is run out of the UK and which has a number of GT3 Mk 1 Club Sport owners. They are not aware of any difference in the spring rate or hub carrier on the CS models. They did confirm the single mass flywheel/clutch assembly on the CS.

I also checked a current copy of PET, the Porsche parts manual. It does not list a different part number for springs or the hub carrier between the Comfort and CS versions of the Mk 1. The Cup car hub carrier is a different part number, so it is a different part from the street car, but the Cup part number only shows up in the Motorsports catalogue and not in PET.

Can you double check your source at Porsche and get them to provide some part numbers? I'd like to get to the bottom of this for future reference in a GT3 Registry project that I may start here in the US.

Karl

Quick Reply: Gen. 1 vs. Gen. 2 GT3