Sponsored by:

bought another gt3 today

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 01:26 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts
Default bought another gt3 today

will be interesting to feel the difference if any with iron rotors.

anyone got alternative wing ideas? i'm thinking of the mk I taco wing or retro to RS as Ruf is doing on his RGT3.

prices have dropped enough that i'm back in, and this car will be fun at willow springs raceway.

wrong colour!!!!!

Last edited by Sun Ra; 03-29-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:54 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was nice meeting you last week at Willow. Nice car, but I don't get it. You seemed to dislike the GT-3 based on your driving preferences. Now you are getting another to take to Willow. This car seems like a complete mismatch to the way you drive the track. You (and the other GT-2/TT guys) seemed to have a great time with your style of blasting down the straights with all that HP and gently taking the corners.

Clearly the GT-3 demands a completely different style of driving to enjoy it. If you drive a GT-3 the same way you drove the GT-2, I would think it would be very, very boring.

Just curious why you are doing this, especially with the emphasis on taking it to Willow.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WaTT,
You did WHAT? Didn't you just sell a GT3 a few weeks ago?????
Knowing WSIR, I would be very surprised if the GT3 outperformed your GT2. Why would you be more enthusiastic about the prospects for the GT3 at Willow than your GT2?
You're kiddin' again, right?
JP
Old 10-11-2003, 03:18 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

i'm always kidding.

mark, obviously you know best. i'll be sure to check with you next time i buy a car! if fact i'm looking at another gt2 right now, what should i look for? how did i buy all these cars without you????

i enjoyed seeing the track for the first time in 12 years, i plan to go back a few times. i'd like to get up to speed on those corners, but have no desire to wreck a gt2 in those lousy runoffs. since i cant drive well enough to push the gt2 on the track, why not practise in something cheaper?

in there a conflict between loving the gt2 and buying another gt3? i never claimed i made any sense when i buy and sell. when i see a high quality equity that's cheap, i buy it; when i see a high quality gt3 that's cheap, i buy it... then figure out something to do with it... like drive it for the hell of it, just like everyone else here is doing with their cars

Last edited by Sun Ra; 10-11-2003 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:31 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by watt
"...when i see a high quality equity that's cheap, i buy it; when i see a high quality gt3 that's cheap, i buy it..."
watt,
that begs the question: what's cheap?

i'm in queue for one and want to track the market.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:13 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by watt
mark, obviously you know best. i'll be sure to check with you next time i buy a car! if fact i'm looking at another gt2 right now, what should i look for? how did i buy all these cars without you????

i enjoyed seeing the track for the first time in 12 years, i plan to go back a few times. i'd like to get up to speed on those corners, but have no desire to wreck a gt2 in those lousy runoffs. since i cant drive well enough to push the gt2 on the track, why not practise in something cheaper?

Watt,

I only tried asking in a firendly way as your choice seemed inconsistent with both what you said and the way you drive. I was not trying to TELL you anything, only ASK.

I certainly understand the idea of saving an expensive car, but you were driving a GT-2 capable of lapping Willow around 1:25 to 1:29. Now if you ran at 5-10 seconds off that pace, then that is saving the car. I timed you and the best I saw was 1:50 and I could not imagine how a GT-3 would be much fun on the track when driven at that level. 25 seconds off the pace and without the massive HP of the GT-2 for the straights.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:32 PM
william996tt
Cruisin'

25sec off the pace??? He must have taken the corners very gently....

I think the best choice for him is a Turbo rather than a GT3, especially with the aid of 4WD and PSM for people with counter-lock handicap. He might even be able to shave off couple of sec from his GT2.

Radical Racer is right, GT3 might not be the best choice for watt, especially someone who love to burst down the staight instead of corners.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:15 PM
Scott in Texas
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Watt forget the guys giving you sh*t about your driving abilities. I just have one question, do you have a daughter? Nice single lawyer here from Texas (ex PCA and SCCA racer and PCA driving instructor) who would like a father in law with a GT2 and a GT3 to help drive around those tracks in Cali.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:48 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

well mark, your race team is aptly named.
that's what i remember about POC 12 years ago, so inclusive, wanting to help newcomers! you'll help me learn the track won't you, and how to contro the car near the limit? Cort taught me alot, and Jack Olsen, but i have along way to go. but it's fun to try something new.

and scott, i don't! but that's how we'll get track skills into the family, we'll marry in. i don't mind catching the poop, and maybe i can get better and drive faster with more training from mark and the other great drivers.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:30 PM
william996tt
Cruisin'

Hey Watt forget the guys giving you sh*t about your driving abilities. .
No one is giving anyone any sh*t. We are just trying to understand watt's intention of buying the GT3 again, when the car obviously didn't fit his driving style in the first place (given the data from Mark), why not consider something else, like a 996 Turbo?

I just have one question, do you have a daughter? Nice single lawyer here from Texas (ex PCA and SCCA racer and PCA driving instructor) who would like a father in law with a GT2 and a GT3 to help drive around those tracks in Cali
That's very weird.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:14 PM
Scott in Texas
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ever heard of HUMOR? Guy I used to race with drove a GT2 as a street car to the track for PCA races and raced a GT3R that was serviced out of an 18 wheeler. I used to ask him to adopt me.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:19 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Watt, are you freakin' kidding me? Just when I thought we were starting to get along, you throw me a curve ball. After all the crap about the GT3 here you buy one to go to the track. In all seriousness, if you want to get fast at the track, buy a slow car and get some good instruction from guys like Mark. Even the GT3 has enough HP to mask a lesser drivers mistakes and problems.

But I do wonder your thoughts as it seems you enjoy going fast in a straight line rather than in the turns. I am afraid you will be disappointed now like you were before - especially if you are used to the GT2 straightline speed.

Good luck,

E. J.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:34 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

You know what - who cares! It isnt a question of cash so let the guy go out and buy what he wants. At least he has the luxury of buying and driving whatever car he wants in these environents and really seeing for himself what he likes best.. Sound like the ultimate test drive scenario to me.. God bless..
Old 10-12-2003, 01:56 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

ej,

are you in S CA? i'd love to get a lesson or three from you as well as Mark...i'm afraid my skills dont meet mark's standards.

right now, i do prefer the open road power down racing [and hillclimbing with turbo power], but it was an eye opener to do laps with Cort and see his car control. am i too old to try to learn to corner fast on the track? what car do you recommend for learning, it seemed to me a gt3 removed the power masking...? i would love to be able to take the turns near optimally on the track, to evolve beyond the 7/10's on the street i've enjoyed for years [a G is one thing at 50 mph on the mountain, another at 120 on the track, yikes!!!]. pls remember i havent been on a track for 12 years... but this triggered a desire to try... to get better...
Old 10-12-2003, 02:22 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Watt, you're not going to like this at all. Really, you're not.

You want to learn how to drive fast at the track and race? Or do you just want to learn to drive fast at the track?

If its the former, then screw the GT3 and buy a SRF and go racing. You will learn more about driving fast and racing in your first srf race than in 10 years of DEs in a GT3.

If its the latter, then its even worse. You should learn how to drive fast in a Miata or some other piece of crap like that. Then, once thats mastered, try the GT3 or GT2 and you will be incredibly faster. Remember that you have to learn to go fast. If you don't want to try a Miata (I don't blame you), then get some other lower HP car (and NO a GT3 is not a lower HP car LOL!) and get to the point where you are doing consistently fast lap times. Compare your times to those of SCCA guys in similar cars or PCA guys in similar cars. Maybe a Lotus Elise or a Caterham 7 would be a good choice.

Feel free to email me or PM me with any questions.

E. J.

PS - I hear Frank has some free instructing time out your way. LOL!

Quick Reply: bought another gt3 today