Sponsored by:

bought another gt3 today

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 02:23 AM
Hubert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

watt,
I'm no hotshoe, but if you really want to improve your driving, rent/buy a spec miata. Not very sexy, or alluring, but if you're not very quick to start with, it's very humbling.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:29 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

am i too old to try to learn to corner fast on the track?

Watt,
I'm a lot older than you and I'm doing mid to high 1:30s in my Cobra at Willow. If you, indeed, bought the GT3, install a roll bar, buy an annual membership and go out on Friday Test/Tune days. You'll fly by me, and most everyone else, in no time. You can't tell anything about your potential from one visit to the track. You'll do great, but it do take practice!!
Have fun. And, send me a PM if you want to met at the track sometime.
JP
Old 10-12-2003, 04:31 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you really buy a GT3? If so, welcome back to the party pal! Who else was at Willow?
Old 10-12-2003, 11:19 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Two things:

1) Why do so many people dis others on this forum? What right does anyone have to dump on Watt for spending his disposable income as he chooses? His lap times don't matter. I was a beginner once, who wasn't? If at his income level a $100K car is considered as disposable, good for him.

2) I think Watt bought a GT3 because he's following in my footsteps<laughing>. My wife's car is white and I think is far and away the nicest color on the GT3. Stunning. Attention getting without the "hey look at me" suggestion conveyed by Speed Yellow. Besides he already has a SY car. Too of 'em would hard to look at without wearing blu-blockers!

2004 GT2 - red
2004 GT3 - white (wife's)
2004 GT3 - very rare silver/black
all equipped with club-sport kit (thanks Gert)
Old 10-12-2003, 11:20 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Arrgh again. 2002 GT2. And yes I meant "too" of 'em.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:45 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

ej and JP thanks i will PM...
and JP let's do meet at willow...

bob, i had white before and got super rare, unobtanium silver black like you this time!!!

and Bob,
you are singularly equipped to compare the jollies you get in a gt2 vs a gt3, how about comparing them for us, lap times on the same track, pluses and minuses?? i'd love to hear... your views

noel, oak, jack, amir etc were at willow
Old 10-12-2003, 03:10 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Watt (et al)
Think I posted this somewhere on the forum.
GT2 with clubsport (seats bar, harnesses) on P0 Corsa track alignment - rear wing set for max downforce.
Fast lap at Le Circuit 1:48.5

GT3 equipped as above except Pilot Cups and wing in stock position 1:51.4
Note Cups are good for a 1 second advantage.

GT3 feels lighter, smaller and more nimble. Broader powerband saves shifting gears in a few places. Linear power (and less of it) makes the car easier to drive fast. GT2 torque and lag requires adjusting lines (later apexes usually) to deal with massive power when the boost kicks in.
GT3 almost perfectly geared for this track, exits two turns in the meat of the power band whereas the '2' is between gears.

The GT3 seems more fun to drive on track if only because it forces me to drive better. Massive power of GT2 tends to make me lazy and not carry as much speed in certain technical corners. See a 10 MPH difference entering nasty corner 1 and 2. The GT3 really feels smaller than it is.

To compare lap times, at the recent Rolex/Grand-Am race at this track:
Cort Wagner Ferrari 360 GT 1:35; Johannes Von Overbeek GT3 RS (ALM) 1:37. ; J.V.O in a cup car with ALM engine, 1:40. Against which a 1:48 in a GT2 with AC, CD player, cup holders etc. ain't bad especially since I am NOT in the league of Wagner and Overbeek as a driver.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:17 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

So what is the verdict? GT3 or GT2 better - for those of us who can only afford 1 supercar.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't believe there is one better....choosing b/w a GT2 and GT3 is a personal choice.

Horses for courses.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:24 PM
Gt3Nut
Intermediate

watt seems like he is about as stable as a gt2 around a 100 mph corner.

this dude scares me!
Old 10-12-2003, 11:45 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

Originally posted by watt
bob, i had white before and got super rare, unobtanium silver black like you this time!!!

Why did you get silver?
Old 10-13-2003, 02:24 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

Silver/Black - My exact colors.. Good Choice.. Best resale too since you will probably unloading the car in a few weeks..
Old 10-13-2003, 12:42 PM
64lusso
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Watt,
First, you are not too old to learn how to drive well (even though I don't know how old you are) and fast while being safe in your car on the race track. As an ex-SCCA racer I have seen dozens of folks in their 60's drive very well in some very serious machines. With the exception of maybe a few extremely gifted individuals driving well takes a combination of intelligent application of good advice and lots of seat time, done correctly it doesn't have to come at the expense of trashed equipement, so I see no reason why you couldn't accomplish this in either of your cars.
I agree with some of the other posters that a Spec Racer Ford or a spec Miata might be a good way to start and in my opinion a faster way to learn than a lot of DE's but that might not fit your lifestyle at all because as you most likely can imagine there's a whole lot more involved than buying/renting a car and showing up at a track. What might be a better place to start for you is to look into some of the professional driving/racing schools of which there ought to be quite a few available out there in CA. One or two of those and a little seat time and I'd bet you'd be surprised at how quickly you can get either of your cars around a track and still be driving well under 10/10ths. One word of caution, track time in cars is extremely addicting no matter what kind of car you are driving.
Now you guys take it easy on Watt. I have only been checking in on this board for a few months but I have enjoyed his comments as they relate to the best of the 911's (the GT series) and while I doubt a few acerbic comments will run him off, it seems like a whole lot of that has been running around here recently. Plus I have to admit to a little jealousy, Watt's on his second GT3 and I haven't even set my butt in my first one yet. It will be silver/black though I admit that white looks pretty good too.
By the way is there any traction in Rennland for combining the GT 2 & 3 boards? It makes sense from a purpose of the car point of view although it might be a little confusing to newcomers looking for info on one or the other.
JLJ Jr

Last edited by 64lusso; 10-13-2003 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:54 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

Originally posted by 64lusso
By the way is there any traction in Rennland for combining the GT 2 & 3 boards? It makes sense from a purpose of the car point of view although it might be a little confusing to newcomers looking for info on one or the other.
JLJ Jr
I think I just heard John D. and Viken pass out!
Old 10-13-2003, 05:03 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

why not have gt3/gt2/cgt site?

Quick Reply: bought another gt3 today