bought another gt3 today

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 11:46 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I don't want the embarrassment of having the TT being passed by a POS with 200 less HP."

Hey, my POS has less than 200 hp!
Old 10-14-2003, 11:53 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by DJ
"I don't want the embarrassment of having the TT being passed by a POS with 200 less HP."

Hey, my POS has less than 200 hp!
Hey DJ:

Your POS is HOT (no pun intended) and will pass just about anything on the track. Of course, the fact that you're a GREAT driver helps......just a little bit.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:08 PM
Gt3Nut
Intermediate

I agree

Last edited by Gt3Nut; 10-17-2003 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:48 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One should be careful when slinging genders around like that....couple of women in the PCA Texas region, who handidly out lap more than a few red run (as in instructor level) group gents.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:54 PM
Gt3Nut
Intermediate

i was just kidding
Old 10-14-2003, 04:22 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Oh heck, getting passed by a 200 hp car isn't all that bad. Try getting passed by a spec miata ...
Actually at the time I was leaning over and listening to MarkD give me some advice.

Hey, look at that, I already have the excuses workin'.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:22 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys, I like the sound of this "hey wait for me racing team". Such depth of talent! I'd like to apply for the position of tire and brake-pad durability tester.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:06 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by TNGT3
Why did you get silver?
because it was cheap. and hides dirt, i dont have to wash it
Old 10-15-2003, 03:29 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

i am reading this thread with amusement. i don't know watt, and it might not make sense what he is doing, but it doesn't matter. if all of us did sensible things, we would drive inexpensive cars for transportation, and put the extra money into some asset that appreciates. if he has the money, and he wants to buy it, that's his business. whether he drives like one of the andrettis, or he drives like ****, it doesn't matter. should we criticize people who play golf and shoot 113? let's all stop worrying about personal issues, and resume talking cars.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:34 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

doc,

your golf analogy works: no matter our lap times, we are all walter mittys if we're not driving formula one. ralf schumacher and david coulthard need to be replaced, maybe our hot lappers can step up.

'that ye resist not evil, but whosoever smite ye on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also." Mat 5.39

doc: never be married to your position -- trading rule no 1... and price is half of value.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:12 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Watt,
As many have stated a GT3 is not a low hp car. It is a very fast car and can be almost as fast as a GT2.

If you want to learn to drive in car that is not going to cost you too much if you make a mistake then you can go with 944-spec car. These cars are nice for a few reasons.

1) Cost is low $10k for a complete car and I can imagine how you could spend more than $20k one of these.

2) Low HP. Cars have only 131 RWHP. Yes that is nothing compared to what you have, but they still can turn easy 1:40 laps at willow springs. The good thing about such low HP is that they force you to learn momentum and going through the corners fast. If you do not do this you very slow.

3) Competition.. The class is growing and alot of guys are getting in. This means lots of wheel to wheel racing with car that are similarly prepared. This means the difference between winning and loosing is the driver. Again this causes you to have to learn to drive to be competitive. Other nice thing is that there are many new drivers as well. This means you can probably find another "slower" driver to race with and progress with.

Now guys have mentioned SRF & Spec Miata. Spec miata is a little more expensive than 944-spec, but does have larger fields. The cars have less hp,but also less weigth. Lap time at willow are also 1:39-1:40 and of course they are not Porsches.

Another option is a 911 spec class run by the (PRC) Porsche Racing Club in conjuntion with North California NASA. These guys run 911 SC and Carrera in a spec class as well. More costly than 944-spec, but alittle faster an possibly more to you liking.

You could also buy a 964 RSA or other used 911 SC or 3.2 then have a shop mantain & track prep. It would be alot of fun and low enough in HP to give you skills and probably less money than a GT3.

Of course in the end it is all up to you and how much fun you want to have!

Enjoy
Old 10-16-2003, 08:20 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by docjackson1
....should we criticize people who play golf and shoot 113? ....
Sounds like I found myself a golf partner..!!! But, just to be sure - how do you do after the first hole????

Old 10-17-2003, 01:48 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

are you kidding john? i am so tired after that 1st hole, i am shot for the day. actually, i played with my uncle recently in palm beach, and i shot 121. he told me that if i keep that up, i could lose my medical license.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:35 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what about the second 9 holes...................
Old 10-17-2003, 11:47 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by johnfm
what about the second 9 holes...................
They have “9” holes? Wow….

OK – let me tell you about the first time ever playing golf. I believe it was my last time too.

I show up at the course before “O dark thirty”. I don’t know why, but someone told me tea times were rather early. OK, I can buy that – perhaps it was an English club, and tea is served only in the AM – I dunno. Donning my best golfing duds – comprised of Lee jeans and a T’shirt – I get told I can tea off. Great – they don’t even serve tea when they tell you it’s your turn. Lesson #1 – bring your own tea, fortunately, I did..

So – I exit the main gym and look for where I can hit the ball from. Left takes me to “1” – right takes me to “18”. They can’t fool me – I’m not the best player deserving of the “1” – so, I opt for the “18”. I found out, though – there is another test. From the Gym door – the “18” is BACKWARDS with the really-really short grass and flag right there. They certainly can’t fool me here – either – I’m no dummy. So, I walk to the tea for 18 – it’s quite a walk – and might have been rather enjoyable if there was enough daylight to see. Lesson #2 – always pack a flashlight when golfing.

So – I make the tea as dawn is rising. And it hit me – I got it! The place where 18 starts is higher then the lawn in front of it from whence I had just traversed – providing a beautiful vista for a quiet cup of tea. Very charming, I must admit. Well – after drinking the tea, I notice the sock washer just behind me. Opportunity NOT lost – I rinsed both socks and wrung them out to dry. However, as accommodating as they are with a sock washer – seems they forgot a dryer. Lesson #3 – bring a sock dryer to the golf club – or, don’t wash your socks in the red sock washer after drinking tea.

Now – guessing I’m supposed to “hit the ball” back up the lawn – I choose my club. Looking in the bag – I notice every stick has a number. 1 through 9. WHAT? Waitaminute – where is the stick for “18”??!!! Well – I never did find that “18” one – so I figured I should probably just use the “9” stick – maybe the bags got too heavy with all 18 sticks, and you had to use each one twice? Lesson #3 – always bring as many sticks as necessary to match the flags on the lawn you are playing. Later – I realized that might have contributed to my poor score in golf – as I played the “18” lawn with a “9” stick. Not too smart.

Anyway – I took out my first ball. It was new – and rather expensive (you can cut the costs of golf by buying a LOT of ***** – I did, and I used them all). So – I took the weird shaped toothpick thingy – and affixed the ball to the top. It kept falling off? I dunno why – the toothpick had the large base at the bottom, so it wouldn’t topple over too easy – but the ball is mounted at the pointy end? Very weird. Yea - I did notice the little dents on the ball for mounting them to the pointy end of the toothpick thingy, but I have to say, I never quite got the hang of it. Lesson #4 – bring toothpick thingies with a broad base at BOTH ends – it’ll hold the ball up better.

So – giving up on actually placing my ball on the wooden thing – I decide to just put it on the lawn, and hit it from there. With a hefty swing from the trusty “9” – the ball took flight. It was purely a thing of beauty to watch. I had no idea a ball could soar that high. The only problem was – it didn’t land in the lawn area. Truth be known – I have no idea where it landed? I figured I had a lot of ***** – so on the Bingo Card they give you at the Gym before leaving for tea – I wrote “practice shot”. I figured that was OK, and threw another ball down. This next one was much better, since I could see where it landed just off the mowed lawn and slightly into a wooded section that was probably a picnic area. Not a problem – since I could see it, it was easily retrieved – so I threw it back onto the lawn, being sure I didn’t cheat by throwing it FORWARD towards the end of the lawn. Lesson #5 – never cheat at golf, it’ll catch up with you.

By this time, other golfers were beginning to catch up to me. Maybe I took too long at tea or waiting for my socks to dry – I dunno. But, they are a friendly lot, to be sure. They kept yelling in my direction – things like “four” and “playing through”. I figured they were in a rush, and not really enjoying the game as I was. Not to sound like a braggart – but I think I also impressed them, as some folks would stop and watch me with an amazed look, and smile quite a bit. I sort of did brag to one fellow when I said something like, “Yep – and it’s my first time playing – this hobby really isn’t too difficult”. But they really taught me something as well – always yell the number on your stick you are playing with – if there is anyone within earshot. So, I kept hitting, yelling “Nine!” and then throwing my ball onto the lawn when it went astray. Lesson #6 – yelling the number on your stick really does improve your game – as folks will turn and watch your every move. They’ll probably think you are a pro, like me. Well – really I’m not a pro – but as I said – I sure did impress a few folks!

Well – a few hours later – I did make it to the really short part of the lawn. The folks at the gym were nice enough to put a flag at pretty near the center of it, too. The only difficulty I had with the flag, is there was a ball trap just under it. Now – I ain’t stupid, and I’d lost enough ***** already to shoot my ball into that trap thingy under the flag and lose yet ANOTHER ball – so I was pretty quick to realize that the object was to get how many inches away from the trap as the numbers on the flag. In this case – it was 18 – and since it was the beginners course, I sort’a figured it made sense. It must be really tough on the “1” flag, though, but I guess that’s why the “1” area is for the best in the gym. Lesson #7 – bring a ruler to the golf course, so you know when you win.

Well, I can't lie to you - I did lose a few ***** into the trap around the flag, so I simply wrote on the Bingo Card – “Lost Another”, just in case someone found it later – at least they’d know who it belonged to. Maybe they’d return it. Maybe golf ***** should be like bowling ***** – etched with the owners name and stuff – my guess is lots of folks would have returned mine. Anyway, still playing by the rules and using my “9” stick, I FINALLY got the ball within the 18 inch winning circle – so I picked it up and walked towards the gym. On my way there, I was stopped by someone from the Gym, who told me he had never seen anything like my golf in all his years. He was pretty old, and probably seen a lot of games – so I was really overwhelmed with pride.

From that experience – I figured why tarnish the memories of my first golf game by playing another place, but it was long ago – so maybe I’ll play again soon.

Anyone need a partner? I’ll teach you everything I know about golf and all the tricks I learned……

Quick Reply: bought another gt3 today