Sponsored by:

bought another gt3 today

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 07:36 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Watt,

My apologies. It was pointed out to me that you were offended by my posting of your lap times. I only meant to reinforce my question as to why the GT-3 selection. Certainly your right not to answer so I apologize and will not post any more of your lap times in the future.

I certianly see nothing wrong with going slow around a track - either because you want to go slowly in corners or because one is a beginner.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:44 PM
9caregiver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slow lap times are like admitting your ***** is small. That's why most lie about both....
Old 10-13-2003, 08:25 PM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default CFW?

Watt did well in his first Open Road Race nailing a trophy (120 class) with an almost perfect 120.019 average for 85 miles. As his navigator I was perfectly comfortable. Rumor has it friend Watt may be looking to run faster next season. Do we have a CFW in the making?

CFR
Old 10-13-2003, 08:49 PM
Radar
Instructor

That's pretty big of you RR to apologize when it looks like watt is the one who started it. Maybe there was more going on behind the scenes than we know, but that's how it appears from where I sit.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:37 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Mark,
i appreciate your gracious words, altho' no offense taken. Matthew 5:9.

i hear you've turned yourself into a great driver though constant application and working on your weaknesses. i hope to get the chance to learn from you as i said quite seriously, and perhaps get moderately skilled on a track... but i won't measure my self-worth by a lap time!!
my sole focus last week was to be beyond gentle to the car like a sunday drive and get no stone chips and i succeeded.

I'm not sure if you'll be at Spring Mtn 11/1, but if you are I hope you'll give me a lesson.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:10 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Spring Mountain? Did someone mention Spring Mountain? That's my favorite track. Very technical, and very fun. Who's going to be there on 11/1? If you can swing it, try to get Rupert Bragg-Smith to give you a ride around, and some tips. He owns the track.

Also, tell him I said "hey".
Old 10-13-2003, 10:31 PM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default Pahrump

Hey DJ,

RTP-run till you puke is on for a small group. We will say hello for you.

CFR
Old 10-13-2003, 10:54 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those who are going to Spring Mt. who haven't been there before and who like Willow Springs, have low expectations, very low. And then be pleasantly surprised, after your first day, or morning. The track is very technical. You never have a chance to relax.
I hated the track my first day there. And then something happened, and I fell in love!! What happened was that the track makes you a better driver if you hang in there. And when you become a better driver, you come to love the track. I'm not really trying to say that I am a top notch driver, but only that I improved tremendously learning to drive Pahrump the right way.
It's now my favorite track in the region.
I've ridden with Rupert and he with me. He's a real character. Hope you guys are going for 2 days. It's worth it, and it may take a day to figure the track out.
JP
Old 10-13-2003, 11:07 PM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Oh OH,
Don't be spookin my friend CFW! Spring Mountain is technical but so much fun.My favorite track for sure. Not fast, just fun and very easy to run at 7/10.

R
Old 10-13-2003, 11:16 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Radar
That's pretty big of you RR to apologize when it looks like watt is the one who started it. Maybe there was more going on behind the scenes than we know, but that's how it appears from where I sit.
There certainly is!
Old 10-14-2003, 12:01 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Radical Racer
Watt,

My apologies. It was pointed out to me that you were offended by my posting of your lap times. I only meant to reinforce my question as to why the GT-3 selection. Certainly your right not to answer so I apologize and will not post any more of your lap times in the future.

I certianly see nothing wrong with going slow around a track - either because you want to go slowly in corners or because one is a beginner.
Oh, Mark, cut it out -- your apology appears somewhat disingenuous. You're a much bigger person than this -- at least, the Mark I know and love is.

Watt was not offended by your posting of "bogus" (more on this below) lap times. They had no relevance to the topic. If you or others (who shall remain nameless) have a problem with Watt or didn't like his views on his earlier GT3 and the fact that he is now saying he might buy another one -- so be it. You're entitled to your opinion, but why are you impugning his driving ability. Watt is a fine driver.

Watt and the "other GT2/TT's" were attending a private track event (with no corner workers, tow trucks, instructors) and not a DE or time trial. Watt and the "others" had either never been on this track or had never taken their GT2/TT on the track. The event was an opportunity for "friends" to drive their cars as SLOW or FAST as they wished in a safe environment (as opposed to the Malibu Canyons) without having to worry about bicyclists, motorcyclists, police and the rest -- the idea was to have FUN, FUN, FUN! Watt was not timing his laps, nor was he attempting to run fast laps. Why you would feel compelled to whip out your stop watch and time Watt is beyond me? What was that all about? How does posting the lap times for a person who came to a track they are experiencing for the first time, with no intention of running at more than 5/10's of their ability, have any relevance to "sic ... reinforce my question as to why the GT-3 selection." It was just a cheap shot, IMHO. If you disagree with Watt's opinions on the GT3 or whatever car, deal with it on the merits. If you don't like Watt's posts, "riddles" or sarcastic tone at times, attack that aspect of his posts.

And Mark, what's with this statement...."Certainly your right not to answer so I apologize and will not post any more of your lap times in the future." Come on, you're better than this.

Just my 2 cents and probably worth a lot less!
Old 10-14-2003, 12:44 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

WHOA - slow down there fella. I think many of the guys were busting ***** and kidding around. I am sure if Watt was upset, he would have lashed out on his own. And that apology seemed geniune enough. I'm tellin you - these damn boards are getting filled up with a bunch of wash women. We are here to talk about these cars, and I am here to learn. This crap is annoying..
Old 10-14-2003, 12:52 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by ADOGNY
This crap is annoying..
I agree.

Given that I know both Mark and Watt and was in attendance at this private event, I thought I would share my views on this topic. If I've annoyed you or offended anyone by my post, I apologize.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:03 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a relatively new subscriber to this Board. And I have gained so much helpful information. Rennlist is truly an incredible resource for those of us interested in Porsche.
On the other hand, some posts seem to stray far from the original subject, and worse, they get very personal, and negative.
I just can't understand why this happens.
It doesn't happen on other Boards.
Just for the heck of it, check out www.Clubcobra.com
THis is a very active Board for Shelby Cobra owners. Some threads get viewed over 30,000 times. There probably have been over 100 posts tonight alone. You don't need to be a member to view the posts. Go to the top to "Quick Forum Hop" and click on "All Cobra Talk"
Scroll thru all the posts, hundreds of them. You won't find anything other than a spirit of friendship and cooperation. There are no negative and personal comments.
I just point this out because, this Board seems to stand out, to me anyway, as unusually personal and negative. Damn if I know why. But it would be great if we could somehow stick to talking about cars rather than people.\
Reminds me of my ex !
JP
Old 10-14-2003, 02:18 AM
stuka
Pro

I agree with the learing to go fast in a slow car theory.

I have been attending the BMW schools in my E46 M3, and just couldn't move into the faster group. I thought I was doing good, you know, passing people and all. What I didn't realize was that the M3 power masks my lousy driving. Because the car is so fast, I wasn't penalize too much by my inconsistent line, my bad turn in, etc.

The last BMW school, I took a POS automatic rental that weighted almost 3600 pounds and powered by a paltry 200HP little engine.

Guess what? I was faster at Button Willow with the POS than I ever was in the M3. I was faster because I HAD to preserve what little speed I have with the POS rental, and I HAD to be very conscientious with my turn in, apex, and exit.

Oh, and I won't be taking the 996TT to the track until I have a run group sticker befitting the speed of the car. I don't want the embarrassment of having the TT being passed by a POS with 200 less HP.

Andy

Quick Reply: bought another gt3 today