Sponsored by:

CA Smog - Cat Not Ready

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 05:20 PM
PCA7GGR
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default "Cat not Ready" smog test failure

My '04 GT3 failed its smog test today - another "Cat not ready" failure. Prior to taking the car in for the test, I swapped out the FabSpeed cold intake with the stock unit but it still has CarGraphic mufflers that didn't appear to be an issue with the smog tech.

Back in Sept 2016, I replaced the battery at 56,132mi. It now has an additional 600+miles (56,800mi) most quick freeway runs at an average speed of 70-75mph.

Per the smog techs suggestion, I drove the car about 30 miles with the cruise set at 60mph. But the "Cat no Ready" condition persists.

So... what the latest wisdom on getting this resolved? Has having the car idle for 20 miles work or is there another procedure that works. Thanks
Old 04-10-2017, 11:27 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 637 Likes on 397 Posts

Forget driving the car. It will not be ready. Find a good independent tech with a Porsche factory tool, not the Durametric. They can force the test to be ready and pass you.

I did this at the shop in San Carlos, the corner of El Camino Real and Holly.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:41 PM
PCA7GGR
Racer

The saga continues...

Ran the suggested drive cycle twice and smog tech still get "Cat not ready". So took it the local independent who ran test plan and found fault for stop lamp switch and also DME had software update available. They replaced the switch and did the software update. After update and switch replacement, they ran the test cycle and catalytic efficiency failed on bank 1. They now recommend replacing the cat to the tune of $2300 plus tax.

I paid for the work done and picked up the car. Figure I can buy and cat and replace it myself. Can someone recommend a place to buy the cat. and its part number? Thanks
Old 04-15-2017, 04:33 AM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 356 Posts

Before you shell out for a new one do you want to try mine to see if that fixes it? Just swapped to 997 set up and mine are now sitting on the shelf. I'm not looking to sell as I want to keep all my oem parts, but I'd be happy to send them to you to see if that can get you to pass. Just ship them back when you are done experimenting!
Old 04-15-2017, 08:44 PM
PCA7GGR
Racer

Scott pm sent - thanks
Old 04-15-2017, 11:30 PM
yaknart33
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The fuel tank has to be between one half and three quarters or it will not have a chance to complete the monitors during the drive cycle.Also don't make any sharp turns or abrupt stops /starts.When you start the drive cycle do not turn the engine off or it starts the procedure from the beginning.On fwy try to keep your speed between 55-60 mph .If your car sits for a long time between driving events a good spirited drive can clean the soot buildup from cats to make them work also.Follow the Porsche drive cycle procedure ,it just works better then a generic cycle.I did smog test and repairs for a domestic dealership for over thirty years[retired several years ago] ,the drive cycle has to be a pain to do after any repairs to pass smog.Still have a valid test and repair license,for calif.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:01 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA7GGR
Scott pm sent - thanks
No pm in the inbox. Try again?

Quick Reply: CA Smog - Cat Not Ready